Conservative Christians put warning label on Spongebob video... - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2005, 05:47 AM   #106
Refugee

Local Time: 11:55 AM
Angie - I think I would agree with you on that. Even so, isn't 'that' a reflection of what we get in the real world?

Ant.

Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 01-23-2005, 05:56 AM   #107
Jesus Online

Local Time: 10:55 PM
I do agree. I counter though, that in the more 'real' world we can hide in the anonimity and blandness of more moderate souls/thinkings/events? Hmm. Yes, it is very real in here, perhaps more concentrated is more accurate. Still real though.

Old 01-23-2005, 06:00 AM   #108
Refugee

Oh, I most certainly agree. In the real world we have the luxury of being as two-faced/polite (take your pick) as possible. We do tend to get confrontations here that some would probably never get out there, but that comes with the territory.

In a way, in that respect it is worse. I was just trying to cheer Do Miss America up in saying that God's love is more important than a debate forum, or the problems encountered in the real world.

Ant.
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 01-23-2005, 06:05 AM   #109
Jesus Online

Local Time: 10:55 PM
Old 01-23-2005, 07:40 AM   #110
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem

God loves us all. It is humans who do not love all.

Old 01-23-2005, 09:08 AM   #111
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780
And please, don't call me hateful or any such nonsense. Just because I believe homosexuals are living in sin doesn't mean I hate them.
Claiming someone's entire life is sinful just because of who they happen to fall in love with IS hateful. It contributes to a climate where gay people are excluded, discriminated against and constantly made to feel like there's something wrong with them.

I'm so fucking tired of hearing people hide behind this "hate the sin, love the sinner" bollocks. How loving do you think it is to tell someone they're "living in sin" because they can't change their sexuality? How loving do you think it is to tell someone they should break up with a partner they love because their relationship is "sinful"? Sounds a lot more like hatred and cruelty to me.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:13 AM   #112
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra

Just how does one go about casting someone into homosexuality?
*The mind boggles*

Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees

Claiming someone's entire life is sinful just because of who they happen to fall in love with IS hateful. It contributes to a climate where gay people are excluded, discriminated against and constantly made to feel like there's something wrong with them.

I'm so fucking tired of hearing people hide behind this "hate the sin, love the sinner" bollocks. How loving do you think it is to tell someone they're "living in sin" because they can't change their sexuality? How loving do you think it is to tell someone they should break up with a partner they love because their relationship is "sinful"? Sounds a lot more like hatred and cruelty to me.
That is a pretty accurate summary.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:38 PM   #113
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony
Macfistowannabe; do you 'really' think that God 'designed' marriage solely for the purposes of pro-creation? That reads to me something more animal than human. After alll, animals don't need to be married in order to procreate - they do it anyway. I'm sure you'll agree that its more than just pro-creation when it comes to humans, and the 'typical liberal approach' which you seem to have cited must surely consider that, since it offers another approach from the usual specimens of pro-creation that we all are, if you read it your way.

Also, don't you find it remotely insulting for couples who decide not to have children, or, even worse, for couples who 'can't' have children?

There must be more to a human relationship than the ability to inseminate someone.

Ant.

P.S - Macfistowannabe, you were doing a lot better before that comment.
Thank you so much for your comments, Ant. As a childfree by choice woman I hate to think I am only worth the nature of my womb.

On-Topic: There is a huge difference between homosexuality and sexual immorality. Two gay people who love and cherish each other is a beautiful thing. Someone who cheats on a spouse or sleeps with someone to get a job, now that's sexual immorality.

And sometimes I think if Jesus were to show up today, some Christians would think he was a dirty, gay hippie and call the cops.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:55 PM   #114
War Child

Local Time: 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Golightly Grrl

And sometimes I think if Jesus were to show up today, some Christians would think he was a dirty, gay hippie and call the cops.
Absolutely!
Old 01-23-2005, 12:56 PM   #115
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees

Is this an effort to understand understand Christian belief, or is it a summary dismissal of Christian belief for what you believe is a summary dismissal of homosexuals?
Old 01-23-2005, 01:01 PM   #116
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Everything written in the Bible is of divine inspiration, if not, we may as well throw it in the trash.
Some have already done this figuratively,

converting it to "trash" by using it to defend / promote bigotry.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:01 PM   #117
Rock n' Roll Doggie

How is it hateful for me to believe someone is living a life of sin? I don't treat homosexuals any differently whatsoever. I socialize with plenty of homosexuals in a completely comfortable manner. I treat them the same as any person.

People constantly accuse me of being hateful for not being accepting. Since when did being accepting mean agreeing on every little thing? Never. I don't have to agree with the way people live their lives, and it's not unaccepting if I don't agree. It's unaccepting if I treat them badly because of it. I don't treat homosexuals any differently at all. They're people.

I have plenty of friends who are not saved. Heck, my two best friends aren't saved and they're my best buds. I don't wish bad things on unsaved people or stir up an unfriendly, unaccepting enviroment, I treat them as friends. Because THEY ARE my friends. It doesn't make me angry, it breaks my heart. The Bible says you will know if someone is saved by their fruits, and my friends basically have no fruit (I pray you don't misunderstand that LOL).

Don't think that just because I disagree with someone's lifestyle that I'll treat them badly. I hope the best for everyone and I want them to follow God's word because God tells us that it's the only way to Heaven. I don't think a child of God is doing anyone a favor by acting like everyone is ok and everyone is going to Heaven.

And I'm not ignorant enough to think I could cause someone to be homosexual. Like I said, it was a complete joke. Don't insult my intelligence.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:02 PM   #118
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Is this an effort to understand understand Christian belief, or is it a summary dismissal of Christian belief for what you believe is a summary dismissal of homosexuals?
No, it's a condemnation of attitudes such as those expressed in this thread, which are nothing but homophobic hatred justified on religious grounds.

If you're so sure I'm misintrepreting Christian beliefs please do give your own interpretation.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:05 PM   #119
Blue Crack Addict

I've stated it in other threads and point to a series of Scripture; all of which point to the same conclusion.

And your condemnation comes across as a summary dismissal ("nothing but").
Old 01-23-2005, 01:05 PM   #120
War Child

Local Time: 05:55 AM
Quote:
I don't treat homosexuals any differently whatsoever.
Um denying them marriage isn't treating them differently?

Quote:

Also, it is a fact that homosexuals are statistically more likely to have HIV, and that's a fact. Yes, more heterosexuals have HIV just because there's an overwhelmingly large amount of heterosexuals compared to homosexuals in this world. Percentage-wise though, it's not even close.
So what is your point in saying this?