Conservative Christians put warning label on Spongebob video... - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2005, 03:25 PM   #166
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:38 PM
Maybe if the ADS were not on the airwaves people's perceptions would be different.

DO churches run ADS promoting their prison ministry? How about youth outreach?

Not that I have heard.

Old 01-23-2005, 03:26 PM   #167
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

I said ADS...not sermons. ADS on the radio sponsored by Churches.
Same result. Unless I am missing some special media outlet, the vast majority of ADS sponsored by Christian organizations have nothing to do with homosexuality, but do point to other sin.

Old 01-23-2005, 03:28 PM   #168
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:38 PM
I guess unless we see some empiracle data it is a moot point. I can only speak to the ads running here in MASS.

Time to finish moving the over 30" of snow. And wathc the Pats.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:28 PM   #169
Refugee

Local Time: 02:38 AM
The word 'tolerant' has been used an awful lot. Be tolerant of this and that, but at the end of the day, the reason this debate takes place here and now is because modern society is 'rife' with intolerance; intolerance of a people who are regarded as an 'obstacle' as opposed to being consenting adults who do absolutely no harm to any other fellow human being.

Label it whatever you want - but allowing one group of persons to marry and denying another is intolerant.

Call it what you will - but protecting the recently widowed spouse from financial harsdship or poverty by recognising his or her marriage and denying the other any legal protection because the sex of their spouse is 'wrong' and not legally recognised, is intolerant.

Name it whatever you wish - but allowing other 'sins' as stipulated by the oh so oft-quoted Bible and calling them 'rights' and 'liberties', such as divorce, and calling others 'aberrations' is, intolerant.

Not a pretty word, but not a pretty thing.

Why oh why can't Christians have an interpretation as, say, Dreadsox's? An interpretation that IS tolerant, that IS accepting and that IS inclusive. I would very much like to hear what other Christian conservatives have to say about Dreadsox's interpetation.

Oh, and by the way; we know that this more than just about the silliness of our man (or sponge) Spongebob's case; we established that it was ludicrous ages ago. No, what is more unsettling is the underlying belief.

Ant.
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 01-23-2005, 03:29 PM   #170
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
So you're not willing to give up your buzzwords, which could result in helping homosexuals better succeed in society? My God, I'm trying to HELP YOU OUT! Nobody wants to be compared to racists and homophobes, and NOBODY WILL LISTEN TO someone who makes that comparison. All I am saying is give up the vocabulary, it's very familiar to those who are comparing Bush to Hitler.
I don't need your help thank you very much, particularly as it seems you want to offer me medicine, counselling and faith as some sort of relief from my imaginary problems.

I love the way it becomes *my* responsibility to "[help] homosexuals better succeed in society." After all, what would make the biggest difference in that respect is if all LGBT people were accepted as equals, never had to face discrimination, never had to be afraid to be themselves, never had to worry about violence or intimidation or people disowning them. But let's ignore all of that and pretend the real problem is someone using language like prejudice, homophobia and bigotry instead of dressing it up in some cosy little phrases.

Of course homophobes don't like being called homophobic. Just like racists don't like to be called racist. But that doesn't make the label any less appropriate.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:30 PM   #171
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

So, we circle back to a generalization about Christian belief. Remember, when you are pointing at someone and declaring "these people are hateful" you do so with your own hatred.
If you'll re-read my post you'll note that I commented on YOUR interpretation of Christianity, which as dread pointed out, is far fromt he only one.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:32 PM   #172
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:38 PM
Bottom line: Your message, in the fashion it is being presented, is not appealing to me.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:33 PM   #173
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Bottom line: Your message, in the fashion it is being presented, is not appealing to me.
Bottom line: I don't give a fuck. I wouldn't expect my views to appeal to homophobes and if they did I'd start to wonder what I was doing wrong.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:34 PM   #174
War Child

Local Time: 08:38 PM
Quote:
Same goes for yours.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:37 PM   #175
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees

My idea of caring is a bit different. It's being there when one of my friends phones me in the middle of the night upset because someone shouted homophobic abuse at her. It's talking to the fifteen year old kid getting bullied at school and trying to offer some sort of reassurance that there's something wrong with the bullies, not with them. I think I'd rather be on the receiving end of that sort of caring, rather than your strange version.
Well, that's my idea of caring too. You seem to think that since we believe homosexuality is sinful that we're not willing to be there for gays when they need us. Jesus was always there for sinners, but did he condone their sin? Of course not. Your definition of true love and acceptance seems very skewed. I would never turn a homosexual away when they needed a friend. Like I said in an earlier post, they're human just like me.

And uhhh... what's a homophobe again? I thought it was someone who's uncomfortable around gays. Alot of you obviously don't know people like me if you think I'm a homophobe... because I'm not uncomfrtable around gays.

Also, I think wheather somone is orn gay or not is a mute point. We're all born with sin and we need Jesus to rid ourselves of it.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:43 PM   #176
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780
You seem to think that since we believe homosexuality is sinful that we're not willing to be there for gays when they need us. Jesus was always there for sinners, but did he condone their sin? Of course not. Your definition of true love and acceptance seems very skewed. I would never turn a homosexual away when they needed a friend. Like I said in an earlier post, they're human just like me.

Well I can't imagine many gay people wanting to talk to someone who thinks homosexuality is sinful about their sexuality.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:43 PM   #177
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:38 PM
Quote:
And uhhh... what's a homophobe again? I thought it was someone who's uncomfortable around gays. Alot of you obviously don't know people like me if you think I'm a homophobe... because I'm not uncomfrtable around gays.
but because of who they are
or how they behave you see them as less
i. e. sinners

can you not see the trees from the forest

many slave holders were kind, and caring and comfortable around negroes

they just believe they were inferior.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:46 PM   #178
Refugee

There are various Bottom-liners. One that caught my interest, from nbcrusader, I believe was;

Bottom line: we are all sinners - what do we do about it.

Or words to that effect.

I'm quite interested with this premise;

Bottom line: we are all sinners - which sins do we make legal/illegal?

Ant.
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 01-23-2005, 03:46 PM   #179
War Child

Local Time: 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780

Also, I think wheather somone is orn gay or not is a mute point. We're all born with sin and we need Jesus to rid ourselves of it.
Actually that wouldn't be a mute point. That would mean God would be creating sin, given your definition.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:53 PM   #180
Rock n' Roll Doggie

It's not a matter of who's a sinner or not, it's a matter of who is cleansed of their sins. That's why Jesus died for our sins, because our sins are not going away. But God does command that once we commit our lives to him that we try our hardest to follow his commandments. The only difference between a child of God and an unsaved person is that a saved person has been cleansed of his or her sins and has a new responsibilty to God.

Do you think I consider homosexuals as some lower life form? No, I'm NOT prejudiced. Do you think I'd turn a homosexual away? No. I welcome anyone into my home or group of friends or WHATEVER! That's what Jesus did. Does that mean I ignore their sins or the fact that they're unsaved? No. But they'll e my friends no matter what.