Conservative Christian - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2005, 04:47 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 06:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

I would hope so, but it's not really the point here...

So are you saying that you think I'm a conservative Christian? If so, I'd like to know your definition of a conservative Christian so I can properly defend myself...
When I think of a conservative Christian, I think of someone who tries to steamroll non-Christians with their beliefs, instead of leading by example. I see someone who automatically judges "sinners" - whether its gays, women who've had abortions, or Muslims, etc - with barely concealed hatred, and uses Scripture as a defense for their beliefs. I see someone who detests change, and automatically thinks that it must be sinful. I also see people who want the law of the land to be the Bible, and that want to establish a theocratic, Christian version of Iran.

If I understand what you are trying to tell me about yourself, I see that you believe that the Bible is the absolute word of God, and that you live your life according to it as best you can. However, you wouldn't attempt to force others to do the same.

Old 08-24-2005, 04:49 PM   #17
Refugee

in short, I believe:

Traditional/Conservative Christian = Holier Than Thou
Christian = Love thy neighbor

Old 08-24-2005, 05:03 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
One that believes in absolutes, takes every word of the Bible as a literal word spoken from God, and feels the need to bring those beliefs into politics and into other people's lives.
Is that all three, or any one of the three?

Also, does "takes every word of the Bible as a literal word spoken from God" include the consept of the Bible as infallible.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:04 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by starvinmarvin
in short, I believe:

Traditional/Conservative Christian = Holier Than Thou
Christian = Love thy neighbor
Which one are you?
Old 08-24-2005, 05:11 PM   #20
Refugee

Truthfully, a bit of both.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:11 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Many people in my parish are what I would consider conservative Christians, but since they are Catholic I would just lump them in with the conservative branch of the Catholic Church. There's the power of the word "tradition" in our church as well because we base our faith on both tradition and Scripture. I look at Protestants differently. To me a biblical literalist is going to be a "conservative" Christian; a traditional Christian will be one like yourself. I'm surrounded by biblical literalists. By the same token, I'd consider my neighbors, Lebanese Maronite Catholics, "traditional" as well because of their display of saints in their house.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:17 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:34 AM
Surprize....its the my christianity is better than yours thread
Old 08-24-2005, 05:19 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

I think there are two different ways of looking at it.

One is from a religious point of view. I would say that my grandmother is a conservative Christian (she is Catholic). She regularly attended Church when she was still healthy enough to do so, she follows observances, prays the rosary, agrees with Church theology regarding things like abortion, premarital sex and so on. But she is completely apolitical, doesn't bother voting and would never bring her beliefs into the political domain.

Then you have the conservative Christians who are extremely politically active, who believe in a state sponsored theocracy or some degree thereof, whose religion and religious beliefs happen to permeate their entire social fabric and they would also seemingly like it to permeate the society as a whole.

The first group doesn't bother me in the least. The second group continues to want to infringe on what I perceive to be my rights as a citizen in a secular state and them, I could most certainly do without. So that's my honest answer.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:21 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

One is from a religious point of view. I would say that my grandmother is a conservative Christian (she is Catholic). She regularly attended Church when she was still healthy enough to do so, she follows observances, prays the rosary, agrees with Church theology regarding things like abortion, premarital sex and so on. But she is completely apolitical, doesn't bother voting and would never bring her beliefs into the political domain.

Then you have the conservative Christians who are extremely politically active, who believe in a state sponsored theocracy or some degree thereof, whose religion and religious beliefs happen to permeate their entire social fabric and they would also seemingly like it to permeate the society as a whole.

The first group doesn't bother me in the least. The second group continues to want to infringe on what I perceive to be my rights as a citizen in a secular state and them, I could most certainly do without. So that's my honest answer.
Good comparison - spiritual vs. political.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:29 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by starvinmarvin

I see that you believe that the Bible is the absolute word of God, and that you live your life according to it as best you can.

Actually, I don't believe in the inerrancy of Scripture.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:30 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Nice Post Ani....

fernando
Old 08-24-2005, 05:30 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Old 08-24-2005, 05:32 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

I like this and I agree. I wish some of the fellow church people would see that seperation of church and state is in fact mutually beneficial. Not to mention that trying to turn religion into legislation is just plain wrong.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:36 PM   #29
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

Actually, I don't believe in the inerrancy of Scripture.
I'm surprised you don't believe that. I remember you saying before that you were a Calvinist, but maybe that isn't part of Calvinism, though I think it is. I'm a Calvinist as well and do believe in the inerrancy of Scripture, though it is hard at times, just like it is hard to be a Calvinist at times.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:37 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
My apologies...I do not think that is your intent to be clear....it is the direction I fear it is headed.....