Conservapedia- because Wikipedia is a liberal conspiracy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There was an article in the paper about this a few weeks ago. It's really hilarious. The guy who started this got pissed when he finally noticed that many scholars use BCE for BC and CE for AD when talking about the dates of historical events. My question was what the hell was he doing all through college?! Even 20 odd years ago, when I was in college, this was becoming common. In fact, the lecture and exhibit I attended on the Dead Sea Scrolls used this dating style.

Ah, intellectuals. They'll ruin all that's good and ignorant.

We still say "Before Christ" and "After Christ" (literally translated) and no one cares. :shrug:

Oddly enough, I learned that CE ("Christian Era") and BCE ("Before Christian Era") first existed...in my high school religion classes. We were taught that A.D. and B.C. were specifically offensive to Jews.

It should be remembered that the Gregorian Calendar was a creation of the Catholic Church, yes, but it was meant solely for the secular purpose of correcting the grossly flawed Julian Calendar.

martha said:
BCE can also mean Before Common Era. That's what the man said Monday night.

Actually, I think you're right. I now remember being taught that originally. I didn't specifically remember what they stood for, and some Christian probably vandalized Wikipedia because they hate the terms...heh.

"After Christ" (literally translated)

It isn't "after Christ", though - that would make it seem post-religious and then people probably would care. I would say that "After Christ" and "In the Year of Our Lord" are quite different.

I interchange between BC/AD and BCE/CE commonly, I don't like the blatantly Christian former, but I don't really like the supposed attempt of political correctness of the latter. I guess I can't be pleased. :shrug:

The Sad Punk said:

It isn't "after Christ", though - that would make it seem post-religious and then people probably would care. I would say that "After Christ" and "In the Year of Our Lord" are quite different.

As the poster's location is given as Berlin, I suspect they were referring to the literal English translation of what is used in German.

Regarding the topic itself, I don't think I even encountered BCE/CE until I was about 16 - and I come from a secular, non-religious New Zealand background! I only use BC/AD as I find BCE/CE to be a pointless cop-out. It's like saying "fudge" for "fuck". I say "fuck" and I use BC/AD.

unico said:
oh em gee! what friggin translation has the word homosexuals? that's just absurd.

If I had to guess, the NIV: the translation that proclaims 99.9% accuracy, and the translation that credible Biblical scholars think is the most riddled with mistranslations. The NIV, in particular, is notorious for taking an ambiguous verse, applying the traditional misinterpretation, and then amplifying it. This verse in 1 Corinthians would be an example of that.

The Sad Punk said:

Indeed. That's why A.D. 0 was intended to be set at the year of Jesus' birth and not His death (traditionally, A.D. 33). And since Jesus isn't "dead," in the theological sense, we're still living with Christ, and, as such, we're in the 2007th "year of the Lord."

The Sad Punk said:

I interchange between BC/AD and BCE/CE commonly, I don't like the blatantly Christian former, but I don't really like the supposed attempt of political correctness of the latter. I guess I can't be pleased. :shrug:

As I said, it was the literal translation in Germany we either say Vor/Nach Christus (Before/After Christ), or Vor/Nach Christi Geburt (Before/After Christ's birth).

Either way, we don't care that this guy called Christ is in it at all. There are more important things we have to deal with. ;)

Yeah I wanted to do some editing vandalism but I think you have to register and get your conservative/psycho cristian extremist credentials verified before they'll let you post, and then if your first 15 edits don't involve adding bible citations, you lose your privileges.

Back
Top Bottom