Congressman Foley resigns - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2006, 04:29 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:50 PM
Congressman Foley resigns

Quote:
Republican Foley of Florida to resign seat

Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:24 PM ET

WASHINGTON, Sept 29 (Reuters) - Six-term Republican Rep. Mark Foley of Florida will resign from the U.S. Congress following allegations he sent inappropriate e-mails to a 16-year-old male congressional intern, Republican sources said on Friday.

Foley, who represents a district in southern Florida, has served as chairman of a House caucus on missing and exploited children and was a member of the powerful House Ways and Means Committee, which oversees tax and trade policy.

Republican lawyers are examining state election laws to see if his name can be removed from the ballot in his Republican-leaning district, the party sources said.
There was a time when

Better dead than RED

was the Conservatives Watch Word

now it is

Better dead than GAY

Old 09-29-2006, 04:37 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:50 AM
Re: The Sickness and Madness that prevails in the GOP

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

There was a time when

Better dead than RED

was the Conservatives Watch Word

now it is

Better dead than GAY
I think there's more to this than the gay angle.

The alleged person to whom the alleged emails were allegedly written was allegedly only 16 alleged years old. Yes, I know alleged doesn't make sense with "years", but hey, I was on a role.

If this is true, its' really sick. It ranks right up there with the prostitution ring that someone was running from Barney Frank's house. In fact, if no minors were involved in the prostitution ring, this is worse.

Old 09-29-2006, 04:41 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Re: The Sickness and Madness that prevails in the GOP

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

I think there's more to this than the gay angle.

you are right

i did jump the gun on this

if the page was a girl

the congressman should still resign

Quote:
Foley said he was "sorry" today after the emails to the former page were revealed. In the emails, sent from his AOL account, Foley had made repeated references to sexual organs and sex acts.

However, when I read this yesterday

that information was not available

I read that the GOP wanted to draft him to run for the Senate
instead of Katerine Harris

but there were concerns about him possibly being Gay.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:49 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

it looks like it was in 2004 or 2003?

that the Conservatives

would not let him run for Senate
Quote:
Foley's exit leaves Senate field in flux
Fellow Republicans support his family decision but wonder how to proceed.
STEVE BOUSQUET
Published September 6, 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TALLAHASSEE - The abrupt withdrawal of U.S. Rep. Mark Foley from Florida's U.S. Senate race shocked the political world Friday and created a wide-open race for the Republican nomination for Bob Graham's seat.

Foley, a five-term congressman from West Palm Beach, said he was quitting the race because his father, Ed, 82, is battling cancer. The congressman's 77-year-old mother, Fran, also has been ailing after recent cataract surgery. Foley, 49, said he would seek re-election to his House seat instead.

Foley said he could no longer balance his parents' health problems with the fact that he and his older sister, Donna Winterson, the campaign's political director, are often on the road together.

"We travel as a team. With both of us gone, it wouldn't have worked," Foley said. "I couldn't do it without her, and I didn't want to leave our parents without either of us."

Foley was in the midst of a monthlong "Driving the Distance" tour of 30 counties two weeks ago when he heard his father had been taken to a hospital. Ed Foley was recuperating from quadruple bypass heart surgery when he was diagnosed with prostate cancer. Kidney complications soon followed.

Part of a close-knit Irish Catholic family with Massachusetts roots, Foley said: "Sometimes you have to come to a mature conclusion in life. ... As far as my family is concerned, I think it's time to spend a few precious moments for them rather than for myself."

The Florida seat, held by Graham since 1986, is one of four in the South targeted by Republicans in hopes of increasing their 51-48 majority.

The suddenness of Foley's departure caught many Republicans by surprise, including Gov. Jeb Bush, who voiced support for the decision.

"It's the right thing to do," Bush said. "Family matters more than ambition. If he wants to be there to take care of his family, that's great. But he was the front-runner, so it creates a real void."

Rival campaigns and party activists across the state began reassessing the field of likely Republican candidates, all of them social conservatives from Central Florida.

They include House Speaker Johnnie Byrd of Plant City, U.S. Rep. Dave Weldon of Palm Bay, former U.S. Rep. Bill McCollum of suburban Orlando, and state Sen. Daniel Webster of Winter Garden. Only McCollum has run statewide. He lost the 2000 U.S. Senate race to Democrat Bill Nelson.

As word of Foley's decision leaked out Thursday night, campaign aides described themselves as shellshocked. They rushed to cancel a series of fundraisers from Palm Beach to Puerto Rico to Los Angeles.

"I was shocked. I didn't expect it at all," said Ana Trinque, a Brooksville real estate agent and chairwoman of the Hernando County Republican Party.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:53 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Re: Re: Re: The Sickness and Madness that prevails in the GOP

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

you are right

i did jump the gun on this

if the page was a girl

the congressman should still resign
And be thrown in jail.
Old 09-29-2006, 05:55 PM   #6
War Child

Local Time: 05:50 AM
Disgusting behavior. He should be put in jail.

But to say this type of thing "prevails" in the GOP is quite a stretch.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:12 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by MaxFisher
Disgusting behavior. He should be put in jail.

But to say this type of thing "prevails" in the GOP is quite a stretch.
That is very true.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:18 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

This is disgusting.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:57 PM   #9
Refugee

Local Time: 11:50 PM
Of all the "sick" and "disgusting" things going on in our world this very day...this is very low on the list.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:02 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:50 PM
There's an old adage in politics that warns "never get caught in bed with a dead woman or a live boy."

We've heard the last of this guy...until he's on Oprah in a couple of years hawking his mea culpa book.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:21 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:50 PM
Sorry but jail? Did the e-mails involve underage girls or something; lewd and obscence pictures are not cause for imprisonment.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:53 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Harry Vest
Of all the "sick" and "disgusting" things going on in our world this very day...this is very low on the list.
Really? Have you ever seen To Catch A Predator, just to give one example? That's how the whole thing usually starts out. Sexual predators who prey on underage boys and girls have found quite a home on the internet. And, uh-it's with MINORS.

And it has nothing to do with the GOP, this type of sickness and madness crosses all political lines. I bet many of the guys they catch on that show are registered Democrats, wow can you imagine?. Yes many Republicans sure seem to have issues with homosexuality and are hypocritical in their behavior (such as in this case), but certainly you can't apply those instances to the entire GOP. I don't see what "better dead than gay" has to do with it, other than the fact that it's hyperbole for anti-GOP sentiment.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/...ive_the_s.html
Old 09-30-2006, 11:17 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

In 1983, the House censured two lawmakers -- Daniel Crane of Illinois and Gerry Studds of Massachusetts -- for having improper relationships with pages.

Wikipedia

Daniel Bever Crane (born January 10, 1936) is a former American politician.

Crane, a native of Cook County, Illinois, graduated from Indiana University with a degree in dentistry, and was a practicing dentist before his entry into politics. Crane joined the United States Army in 1965, and served until 1970.

Crane resumed his dental practice after his military service, and was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives as a Republican in 1978. He was re-elected in 1980 and in 1982.

After his 1982 re-election, Crane was charged with having a sexual relationship in 1980 with an underage female congressional page. Crane plead guilty to the charge and issued profuse, tearful apologies. He was defeated for re-election in 1984

Gerry Eastman Studds (born May 12, 1937) is a retired American politician, born in Mineola, New York. He served as a Democratic Congressman for Massachusetts from 1973 until 1996. He was the first openly homosexual member of the US Congress and, more generally, the first openly gay national politician in the US.

Studds is remembered chiefly for his role in the Congressional page sex scandal in 1983, when he and Representative Dan Crane were censured by the House of Representatives for separate sexual relationships with a minor – in Studds's case, a 1973 relationship with a 17-year-old male congressional page.

During the course of the House Ethics Committee's investigation, Studds publicly acknowledged his homosexuality, a disclosure that, according to a Washington Post article, "apparently was not news to many of his constituents." Studds stated in an address to the House, "It is not a simple task for any of us to meet adequately the obligations of either public or private life, let alone both, but these challenges are made substantially more complex when one is, as I am, both an elected public official and gay."

As the House read their censure of him, Studds turned his back and ignored them. Later, at a press conference with the former page standing beside him, the two stated that what had happened between them was nobody's business but their own.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:27 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

I don't care what party the man is in, this is disgusting.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:41 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Sorry but jail? Did the e-mails involve underage girls or something; lewd and obscence pictures are not cause for imprisonment.
They involved an underage boy.