Congressman Foley resigns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In answer to his question it all undoubtably lands right squarely at the feet of Foley. He's a big boy with no obvious defects, theres no one to blame but him.

i shudder at the word peadophilia. This ain't no young pre pubescent boy. This isn't some Nambla card carrying man. This is a sad despro man who took a liking to a hot page and wanted some hand action. Its still sad, and i don't understand a middle aged man's lust for teens (both male and female) perhaps some middle aged men on the board could explain the obsession why (is it something to do with regaining youth perhaps?) but its just that.

Sure he was a tool, who should lose his job and credibility and DEFINATELY should not be making excuses, but other then that lets not call a spade a peado.

melon said:

As I said before, it makes no sense to vote based on which party is "moral." Neither party is moral. The Republican Party has been using you to get votes for decades, and they think that if they do some nominal nods to abortion and pick on an unpopular minority, they can use that to cover up the fact that they've been fucking us over all along.

i think i've just added Diamond to my "ignore" list.

now, as for the above quote, this is very, very true: the Republican elites who are very wealthy and simply want tax cuts have beeen exploiting the evangelicals for years, promising them an end to abortion and the end of gay people, and guess what? they've been playing you like a piano. you've been following them blindly, as they smirk and snicker at you behind your backs, and what do you have to show for it? nothing.

Tucker Carlson nailed it on Chris Matthews this past weekend:

[q]CARLSON: It goes deeper than that though. The deep truth is that the elites in the Republican Party have pure contempt for the evangelicals who put their party in power. Everybody in ...

MATTHEWS: How do you know that? How do you know that?

CARLSON: Because I know them. Because I grew up with them. Because I live with them. they live on my street. Because I live in Washington, and I know that everybody in our world has contempt for the evangelicals. And the evangelicals know that, and they're beginning to learn that their own leaders sort of look askance at them and don't share their values.

MATTHEWS: So this gay marriage issue and other issues related to the gay lifestyle are simply tools to get elected?

CARLSON: That's exactly right. It's pandering to the base in the most cynical way, and the base is beginning to figure it out.[/q]

I think Steve Kluger called Foley a sexual predator, not a pedophile. I honestly don't know the real distinction, maybe you can be a predator and not a pedophile. I don't know enough to say. I think people tend to equate the two. But he is saying that if Foley was straight, the words pedophile or predator wouldn't be used by the media.

And Steve Kluger is gay. I say that only because I am interested in what gay people think of the whole situation

http://www.stevekluger.com/BIO.html

Oh no i meant people in this thread using the word peadophilia and other news threads i've read not Steve Kluger...i should have been more clear! hehe

And irvine, i think the republicans would stone pregnant women if they thought the general public wanted them to do it to get elected.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I think Steve Kluger called Foley a sexual predator, not a pedophile. I honestly don't know the real distinction, maybe you can be a predator and not a pedophile. I don't know enough to say. I think people tend to equate the two. But he is saying that if Foley was straight, the words pedophile or predator wouldn't be used by the media.

And Steve Kluger is gay. I say that only because I am interested in what gay people think of the whole situation

http://www.stevekluger.com/BIO.html

i think of a sexual predator as someone who pursues those in positions of weakness -- whether underage, or in an inequal business situation, or a teacher to student. a pedophile is someone who is attracted to pre-pubescent children.

i'm not sure if Foley were straight people wouldn't be using "pedophile" or "sexual predator," but i do think that we wouldn't be hearing such loud condemnation with words like "disgusting" and "revolting."

Irvine511 said:
i'm not sure if Foley were straight people wouldn't be using "pedophile" or "sexual predator," but i do think that we wouldn't be hearing such loud condemnation with words like "disgusting" and "revolting."

I agree. If he were straight, the polygamist Mormons would invite him to join, seeing as how 16-year-olds are their choice for wives.

oh, goody, here comes the gay witch hunt and purge of homosexuals from the ranks of the GOP:

[q]In the wake of the scandal of former Congressman Mark Foley’s inappropriate behavior involving teenage male pages, a number of conservative commentators and organizations are reviving an old charge that homosexuals are more likely to sexually abuse children. The Family Research Council is promoting a paper by one Timothy Dailey which claims that since approximately one-third of child sex crimes are committed by men against boys, and homosexuals comprise only 1 to 3 percent of the population, gay men are greatly overrepresented in child sex offenses.1 Articles by Steve Baldwin and Judith Reisman in Pat Robertson's Regent University Law Review make similar claims and argue that “homosexuals sexually molest young boys with an incidence that is five times greater than the molestation of girls.”2 A booklet from Focus on the Family charges that “studies indicate that around 35 percent of pedophiles are homosexuals. . . . a child molester is 17 times more likely to be homosexual than heterosexual.”3

In addition to these claims, a number of conservative Christians have employed a version of the “slippery slope” argument, charging that the gay rights movement inevitably leads to tolerance for pedophilia by eroding all traditional norms of sexual behavior. Robert Knight, formerly of the Family Research Council and now with Concerned Women for America, argues that if gay marriage is accepted, “Why not [marriage between] three men? Three women? A man and a boy?”4 Senator Rick Santorum has blamed the Catholic Church’s sex abuse scandals on modern liberalism, arguing “It is startling that those in the media and academia appear most disturbed by this aberrant behavior, since they have zealously promoted moral relativism by sanctioning ‘private’ moral matters such as alternative lifestyles.”5 Similarly, the Wall Street Journal has complained, “Some of those liberals now shouting the loudest for [House Speaker] Hastert’s head are the same voices who tell us that the larger society must be tolerant of private lifestyle choices, and certainly must never leap to conclusions about gay men and young boys.”6 Mary Eberstadt, a writer for the Weekly Standard, has written no fewer than three articles attempting to link homosexuality to pedophilia, arguing that the growing success of the gay rights movement has brought a formerly taboo subject out into the open.7

There are, however, two major problems with these claims which try to link homosexuality with pedophilia. First, the statistical data that has been cited is based upon a serious distortion of reputable scientists’ studies on child molestation. The scientists who authored the studies made no such claim about homosexuals posing a greater threat to children, and in fact in many cases explicitly argued the opposite. These scientists have concluded that pedophilia is a separate orientation from homosexuality and that the vast majority of molesters who target boys have either no interest in mature males or are heterosexual men who are attracted to the feminine characteristics of young boys.

Second, the “slippery slope” argument is based on the false premise that the protection of children from sexual activity is a long-standing part of the Judeo-Christian ethic, which has only recently come under assault as a result of the gay rights movement. In fact, throughout most of history, the Judeo-Christian tradition tolerated and even approved of sexual relations between adult males and girls of twelve years of age or even younger. The contemporary taboo against sex between adults and minors developed only in the late nineteenth century, as societies became increasingly committed to the ideals of individual rights and personal autonomy, which led to concern about the possibility of coercion and exploitation in adult-minor relationships. If the slippery slope argument has any validity, it more aptly applies to defenders of religious tradition and orthodoxy than to proponents of gay rights.[/q]

fuccccccking hell. Can you BELIEVE that bullshit?! How can people ACTUALLY BELIEVE THAT?! I am STUNNED and disgusted by that. Thats all the freaking republicans need, tie gay people to peadophilia as much as possible and watch gay rights go back 20 years.

These scientists have concluded that pedophilia is a separate orientation from homosexuality and that the vast majority of molesters who target boys have either no interest in mature males or are heterosexual men who are attracted to the feminine characteristics of young boys.

can people not read things like this?

Furthermore Peadophilia is a disease, a mental illness, being attracted to young boys or girls and molesting them is criminal and sick. Being attracted to someone of the same sex is noting like that, and i cannot even see how someone can draw conclusions from it!

Yes ok, there are a lot of older gay men who find younger men attractive, but there are just as many men who find younger women attractive, with the whole school girl dress sucking a lollypop all of that and yada yada... there is no distinction!

*Shakes head and walks away* its no good to get upset lol

HARTFORD, Connecticut (AP) -- Republican Rep. Christopher Shays defended the House speaker's handling of a congressional page scandal, saying no one died like during the 1969 Chappaquiddick incident involving Democratic Sen. Ted Kennedy.

"I know the speaker didn't go over a bridge and leave a young person in the water, and then have a press conference the next day," the embattled Connecticut congressman told The Hartford Courant in remarks published Wednesday.

"Dennis Hastert didn't kill anybody," he added.

Shays' comments recalled the Chappaquiddick incident, when Kennedy's car ran off a Massachusetts bridge, killing his passenger, Mary Jo Kopechne. Kennedy did not immediately report the tragedy, and he later pleaded guilty to leaving the scene of an accident.

Last week, Kennedy campaigned for Democrat Diane Farrell, who is locked in a bitter fight with Shays that could help determine whether Democrats recapture the House after 12 years of GOP control.

"This is symptomatic of Chris losing his composure in a tight race," Farrell said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press on Wednesday. "Chris just seems to be lashing out in anger."

Kennedy's office had a terse response.

"This just makes clear the real need for change in November. Beyond that I'm not going to dignify such a desperate attack with a response," said Kennedy spokeswoman Melissa Wagoner.

^ very atypical for Shays, who's been a model of New England Main Street Republicanism for so long, you know, the kind of people who when compared to Bush's big government evangelicalism make Goldwater look like Lincoln.

i don't know what thread to say this in but the republican party is so screwed up now.... here's why... when Clinton was found to have that stuff goin on with Lewinsky, those guys that were investigating the incident, wanted his head on a plaque... Lewinsky was the opposite sex and of age.... but where were/are those investigator guys now and... the republicans knew about it for 2 years... it was the same sex... a boy, not of age, ....what about that you damn republicans huh? i have always been a democrat cuz it shows that all the republicans care about is war, went to iraq when they shouldn't have, and they lie about things like this foley investigation. my 2 cents

Last edited:
Damn Republicans? Is that what you consider constructive debate - calling us "damn republicans"?

jesseu2 said:

ok, thanks ya Christianized Conservative :wink:

Okay, you...you..Oh, I'll come back when I can think of something witty! (Don't hold your breath, I'm having a severe bout of ADD today). :wink:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom