Congressman Foley resigns - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2006, 05:17 PM   #181
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:19 AM
Quote:
Victims say Foley should name abuser

By BRIAN SKOLOFF

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. -- Former Rep. Mark Foley's refusal to identify the clergyman he says molested him as a boy is reckless and could put other children at risk, say victims' advocates and a former priest who knows the ex-congressman.

If Foley has information about a child molester, especially one who is still living, he should come forward with that immediately, they say.

"To simply say, `I can't tell you the name,' in my judgment, that's despicable," said William Brooks, a former Roman Catholic priest at Cardinal Newman High School in Lake Worth where Foley was briefly a student in 1969. "It casts a dark cloud of suspicion over all the clergy who worked during those days. I just think it's wrong."

Old 10-05-2006, 05:23 PM   #182
Blue Crack Addict

If this child was molested

Then this man should not protect the molester!

Old 10-05-2006, 05:47 PM   #183
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:19 AM
gay witch hunt? last night, on Katie Couric:

[q]GLORIA BORGER: Just a few hours after Kirk Fordham resigned as chief of staff to Tom Reynolds, the House Republican campaign chairman, Fordham told the Associated Press that he had more than one conversation with senior staff at the highest level. That means Hastert’s staff. Fordham was once a top aide to Mark Foley and is known to be gay. CBS News has learned that several other top Republican staffers who handled the Foley matter are also gay. Their role in this controversy has caused a firestorm among Republican conservatives who charge that a group of high-level gay Republican staffers were protecting a gay Republican congressman.

TONY PERKINS: Was the leadership afraid to stand up to that network out of fear of being labeled homophobic or gay bashing?

BORGER: Hastert’s office didn’t immediately respond to Fordham’s charges, saying it’s a matter for the ethics committee to handle. But Republicans won’t wait that long and they could still decide that Hastert has to go. Katie?

KATIE COURIC: Alright, thanks so much, Gloria.[/q]

so are we going to see the Republicans try and blame this on a secret cabal of gay staffers who sought to protect one of their own, unbeknownst to poor Denny Hastert?

note first the inclusion of something rather outlandish, along with Tony Perkins of the Family Research Council, and then Katie's lack of counterpoint.

liberal bias, indeed.

i find it wonderfully ironic that, again, another election won't be decided on the war, oil, torture, the constitution, reckless spending, or issues that actually matter ... but, once again, on boys kissing. or not even kissing. doesn't look like there was any sex involved, not even unfinished blow jobs. only this time the GOP that has been feeding and fomenting homophobia for so long as a ticket to the White House (they would never have won Ohio if not for the gay marriage amendment), are now having it turn on them and devour them alive at the polls.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:57 PM   #184
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
only this time the GOP that has been feeding and fomenting homophobia for so long as a ticket to the White House (they would never have won Ohio if not for the gay marriage amendment), are now having it turn on them and devour them alive at the polls.
And this is what's making this such a train wreck to watch. For me at least.

As usual, Conservatives forget that what they require of others will also be required of them.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:06 PM   #185
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

i find it wonderfully ironic that, again, another election won't be decided on the war, oil, torture, the constitution, reckless spending, or issues that actually matter ... but, once again, on boys kissing. or not even kissing. doesn't look like there was any sex involved, not even unfinished blow jobs. only this time the GOP that has been feeding and fomenting homophobia for so long as a ticket to the White House (they would never have won Ohio if not for the gay marriage amendment), are now having it turn on them and devour them alive at the polls.
Don't hold your breath, Irvine. This will not be one of the factors that hurts Republicans at the polls. I'm not saying the Republicans won't be hurt at the polls; I'm just saying this will not be one of the factors.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:09 PM   #186
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

Don't hold your breath, Irvine. This will not be one of the factors that hurts Republicans at the polls. I'm not saying the Republicans won't be hurt at the polls; I'm just saying this will not be one of the factors.

[q]WASHINGTON — House Republican candidates will suffer massive losses if House Speaker Dennis Hastert remains speaker until Election Day, according to internal polling data from a prominent GOP pollster, FOX News has learned.

"The data suggests Americans have bailed on the speaker," a Republican source briefed on the polling data told FOX News. "And the difference could be between a 20-seat loss and 50-seat loss."

Most GOP lawmakers have stood by Hastert, pending a full airing of the facts in his handling of the Mark Foley affair, in which the former Florida representative was caught exchanging salacious messages with teen pages in Congress. The new polling data, however, suggests that many voters already have made up their minds.[/q]
Old 10-05-2006, 06:16 PM   #187
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

[q]WASHINGTON — House Republican candidates will suffer massive losses if House Speaker Dennis Hastert remains speaker until Election Day, according to internal polling data from a prominent GOP pollster, FOX News has learned.

"The data suggests Americans have bailed on the speaker," a Republican source briefed on the polling data told FOX News. "And the difference could be between a 20-seat loss and 50-seat loss."

Most GOP lawmakers have stood by Hastert, pending a full airing of the facts in his handling of the Mark Foley affair, in which the former Florida representative was caught exchanging salacious messages with teen pages in Congress. The new polling data, however, suggests that many voters already have made up their minds.[/q]
It's a fresh and bold reaction to a fresh situation. I would be very surprised if it actually carries through at election time. Why? Because the people who would have voted Republican at this point will not let the horrible actions of 2 men dissaude them from doing so.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:16 PM   #188
She's the One

Republicans are a fickle lot, aren't they?
Old 10-05-2006, 06:40 PM   #189
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

I think you are right

i think it will be hard for the dems to win enough seats

not because the public wants the GOP

more because of the redistricting done by the GOP

congressional districts have been gerrymandered to protect the GOP majority
Old 10-05-2006, 06:49 PM   #190
Blue Crack Addict

The night is young. Tons of time till November.

They seem to be coming out with a scandal-a-week, who knows what's next.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:03 PM   #191
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

i think it will be hard for the dems to win enough seats

especially in the senate

the GOP only need 49 Senate seats to keep control
Old 10-05-2006, 07:03 PM   #192
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:19 AM
Quote:
and i'll be honest: i'd be much less understanding if Foley were heterosexual and these were teenaged girls. because at least heterosexuals have options available to them and a healthy, socially-approved way to exercise their sexuality in a natural narrative. homosexuals do not have this. this does not excuse predatory behavior, but it makes me more sympathetic to the predatory because i can imagine the private hell his life in the closet must be like, and how desires can be pathologized and we can find ourselves doing things we know are wrong and that we'd never actually do if our sexuality were allowed to grow and develop as naturally as any heterosexual.
I respectfully disagree.

There's a acronym they have in Northern Ireland - 'M.O.P.E'. it stands for 'Most Oppressed People Ever'. What it is intended to convey is the tendency of some on both the Loyalist and Republican sides to look for special treatment on the basis of some alleged oppression.

I think that being 'much less understanding' of a male politican coming on to female as opposed to male interns comes dangerously close to allotting 'M.O.P.E.' status for gays - which could easily be interpreted as looking for special rights.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:17 PM   #193
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
I respectfully disagree.

There's a acronym they have in Northern Ireland - 'M.O.P.E'. it stands for 'Most Oppressed People Ever'. What it is intended to convey is the tendency of some on both the Loyalist and Republican sides to look for special treatment on the basis of some alleged oppression.

I think that being 'much less understanding' of a male politican coming on to female as opposed to male interns comes dangerously close to allotting 'M.O.P.E.' status for gays - which could easily be interpreted as looking for special rights.
You have a lot of experience as a closeted gay man, then?

On another note, I haven't heard the phrase "special rights" in ages! Good job bringing it back, and in perfect context too!

Old 10-05-2006, 07:22 PM   #194
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:19 AM
So you disagree with the concept of equality under the law?
Old 10-05-2006, 07:24 PM   #195
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
So you disagree with the concept of equality under the law?
When did anyone here suggest that Foley should be exempt from law because he's gay?