Congressional mail snarl--advice needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
Some of you may know this, but I have a question. It's really hard to send snail mail to Congress these days due to the anthrax scare. Mail is backed up because it takes fifteen days for it to go through precautionary irradiation. Do I have any business trying to send snail mail to Congress these days? Does this idea stink? What do you think about this? I'm a little annoyed to be perfectly honest. But I don't blame them for being nervous about anthrax. I don't send it. But how would they know?

They probably don't even look at their mail anyway. They already have their mind set, and the last thing they need is democracy to get in their way.

Melon

melon said:
They probably don't even look at their mail anyway. They already have their mind set, and the last thing they need is democracy to get in their way.

Melon

You're probably right. I'd like to try anyway. Damn.:madspit: :mad: :censored:

Try a phone call, Verte. Or send a letter to the *state's& field office, or try a fax. Deep, haven't heard that at all, even from Jubilee.

And Melon, BS. ;) With enough numbers and momentum, this movement is unstoppable!

Guys, I've gotten a response to *every single letter* I've written so far. Not the one I wanted necessarily, but hey. :) They DO get read. You are not wasting your time. The waste is NOT writing, because they how will they know your mind?

SD

Thanks, Sherry. I have the snail mail addresses for both my Senators now and I'm going to use them. I understand that it will have to go through irradiation but what the heck, it's communication. These guys do read their mail. They've read our letters about debt relief and wells and other issues. We have votes!:yes: :yes:

I can PROMISE you the letters and emails get read. A letter, phone call, and email are weighed the same as well, so no one method is better than another.

melon said:

Melon
I ASSURE you that letters are read. Each and every one. There is NO need to register for anything, just be sure you are sending the letter to YOUR representative. And honestly, it can make a difference!! :)
As for the irradiation process, trust me, it is just as irritating (if not more, for many other reasons) to the people actually have to open the irradiated mail. :|

Yes...I guess their staff assistants need something to do, yes?

:p

Melon

OK, I e-mailed my Congressman and told him I was going to send him something when the mail snarl crisis is over. It's an informational leaflet about the African Well Fund. I don't think this stuff is going to get me busted for terrrorism. I got the snail mail addresses for both of my Senators and I'm sending them info. So what if it has to go through irradiation. They'll get it. I hope they can solve the snarl mail situation soon. It's annoying.:scream: :scream: :censored:

It's a lot faster now than it used to be. I used to open mail during all the anthrax stuff and from then until late January 2002, we didn't get ANY mail. Then it would arrive three months late. Now it seems pretty quick in comparison. We definitely get more emails than anything else now, though.

melon said:
Yes...I guess their staff assistants need something to do, yes?

:p

Melon
Well, they do open the mail, yeah...as for who actully reads the mail, that's the legislative staff who have studied the issues and can properly address them.

Yeah, the situation certainly doesn't help the fact that offices get an incredible amount of mail every single day anyway...but trust me, they do the VERY best they can to get the letters answered as quickly as possible. :)

jkayet said:
I ASSURE you that letters are read. Each and every one. There is NO need to register for anything, just be sure you are sending the letter to YOUR representative. And honestly, it can make a difference!! :)
As for the irradiation process, trust me, it is just as irritating (if not more, for many other reasons) to the people actually have to open the irradiated mail. :|

I'll bet. I wouldn't want to be working in one of those offices right now. We don't have irradiation at the library. We just have drunken assailants, but I won't get into that.:lol: :lol:

verte76 said:
Some of you may know this, but I have a question. It's really hard to send snail mail to Congress these days due to the anthrax scare. Mail is backed up because it takes fifteen days for it to go through precautionary irradiation. Do I have any business trying to send snail mail to Congress these days? Does this idea stink? What do you think about this? I'm a little annoyed to be perfectly honest. But I don't blame them for being nervous about anthrax. I don't send it. But how would they know?

This is my advice having worked as an aid to my congressman.,
Send it to the local office. All of them have a local office and they receive mail there too. I am assuming that the local mail is not being screened.

MELON: Someone is reading it. It was one of my jobs.

Peace

If you are planning on sending comments or requests to any government office, it's been suggested that the best bet is to send it is on a post card. Unless of course you are mailing an African Well info packet of course :)

U2luv said:
If you are planning on sending comments or requests to any government office, it's been suggested that the best bet is to send it is on a post card. Unless of course you are mailing an African Well info packet of course :)

You guessed it.........it's an African Well Fund info packet. :lol: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom