Congress Moves to Cut Aid to Allies That Support World Criminal Court

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:down:

this isn't anything new--the us has been against allowing the international criminal court to have jurisdiction over us citizens from the getgo. this takes on new significance in light of the invasion of iraq, the abu ghraib abuse allegations, etc.

this is a prime example of why i am not a fan of the bush administration's foreign policy. it's one thing to negotiate a diplomatic arrangement to this effect, but unilaterally threatening to withhold aid from poorer countries to advance american interests is plain old bullying.

Then I guess that the US should just withdraw all of its peacekeepers from nations that do not conduct such a bilateral arrangement. This may seem bad but the alternative is worse.

I really think this sucks. I don't think anyone should be exempt from the WCC, and this really looks bad after the Iraq abuse scandals. Stuff like this is why I didn't vote for Bush. :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Last edited:
I think that the concept of a global court will be open to abuse and that it will become an institution like the United Nations, and that is not a good thing.

A_Wanderer said:
I think that the concept of a global court will be open to abuse and that it will become an institution like the United Nations, and that is not a good thing.

And the alternative isn't open for abuse? Don't kid yourself.

dandy said:
:down:

this isn't anything new--the us has been against allowing the international criminal court to have jurisdiction over us citizens from the getgo. this takes on new significance in light of the invasion of iraq, the abu ghraib abuse allegations, etc.

this is a prime example of why i am not a fan of the bush administration's foreign policy. it's one thing to negotiate a diplomatic arrangement to this effect, but unilaterally threatening to withhold aid from poorer countries to advance american interests is plain old bullying.

I know the issue of the ICC itself isn't new. If Bush doesn't want to get the US involved in this then that's his problem. I think it's just so he can demonstrate to 'the folks back home' that he's defending their interests when in reality all he's doing is isolating the US even further.

But threatening to withdraw aid from these countries in order to 'persuade' them to do the same thing takes things onto a different level altogether. Is this what Colin Powell means by 'reaching out'?

Back
Top Bottom