Congrads to George W. Bush for ending the "Recession"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

z edge

I serve MacPhisto
Since the "recession" or "economic downturn" that led into it started as soon as he took office, he was given full credit for it. As some people noted previously, "consumer confidence" or lack thereof led to a pre-9/11 stalling economy. We all know what has happened since that time, so have we watched the news lately?

Good job George W.Bush, and nice recovery!

Not to be throwing needles, but something to think about: was there ever a recession?

Excerpts from the Wall Street Journal SEC A2 March 1st, 2002:

Economic growth was up 1.4% (annual rate) from 0.2% estimates, thanks to surprisingly strong consumer spending on automobiles and other products. Also, Greenspan "never directly labeled last year's slump a recession".

"It (the "recession") was probably a profound stumble," said David Littman, chief economist with Detroit-based Comercia Bank. "But to date there was no national recession."
Clearly, something bad happened to the economy in 2001 and, for many sectors, during much of 2000. Nearly 1.5 million jobs have been eliminated since March 2001.

Well the liberals said there was a recession, so it must be true
smile.gif

Jobless claims are now down 30% since after 9/11

The number of jobless workers receiving unemployment benefits has retreated about 15% from its november peak

-both stats according to USAToday weekend edition

I'm sorry for you-and no offense; but if it takes you 3 years to find a job then YOU have the problem here, not Bush or Clinton (which I hope you would also blame given this logic)

If you serious, then consider finding another skill or trade to "fall back on" as many in the entertainment industry do when work runs out.

I am sorry, but if you can't find a job in 3 years then it's your own fault.

Just wait, there is a trade war on his way.

------------------
I can`t change the world but i can
change the world in me.

Here in the land of opportunity.
Watch us revel in our liberty.
You can say what you like.
But it doesn`t change anything.
Cos the corridors of power are an ocean away.
We`re the 51st state of America.

Read you, Rono.

I'm afraid I don't read you, Rono
confused.gif
?

------------------
Throw me to the wolves because there's order in the pack..

Throw me to the SKY because I know I'm coming back?
~RHCP~

Well, the extra taxes on steel will not be excepted bij Asia, Australia and Europe.
There will extra taxes on product that are coming from America.

The price of steel will go up. The products made out of steel will have a higher price. The consumers most pay more for the products ect.

At the end there will less sales and more people will lose there jobs.

I hope that i am wrong.

Despite what the liberals said, I believe there was never a true recession, which discredits the Liberal slur on the Republican gorvernment, but at the same time discredits Bush's apparent triumph.

It isn't possible. If it had been a proper recession, the effect would only just start to show, and certainly, the solutions and improvements wouldn't have been felt till the next election, due to time-lags. Therefore, either you've had a recession that hasn't had any of the characteristics a recession is supposed to have, or you didn't have a recession at all; I've always believed in the latter. The media are positively the most uneducated bunch of philistines ever.

Ant.

Amusing Observation #19564:

When the economy was prosperous under Clinton, he supposedly wasn't responsible for the prosperity; it, to conservatives, would have been prosperous anyway.

Now that a recession has ended, now Bush is responsible for it? Lest we forget, his economic stimulus package--basically a whole slew of business tax cuts--are still held up in Congress. This time, by all accounts, the economy fixed itself.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Originally posted by z edge:
I'm sorry for you-and no offense; but if it takes you 3 years to find a job then YOU have the problem here, not Bush or Clinton (which I hope you would also blame given this logic)

If you serious, then consider finding another skill or trade to "fall back on" as many in the entertainment industry do when work runs out.

I am sorry, but if you can't find a job in 3 years then it's your own fault.

He's from Honduras, I believe. Not exactly the most robust economy.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Originally posted by melon:

Melon

[This message has been edited by theSoulfulMofo (edited 03-09-2002).]

Melon

Well then he should not question my original post asking why it takes him 3 years to find a job since the "recession" was not pertaining to Honduras. It may not be the most "robust" economy, but 3 years?

Amusing Observation #19564:

When the economy was prosperous under Clinton, he supposedly wasn't responsible for the prosperity; it, to conservatives, would have been prosperous anyway.

Ohhh how clever Melon, you are pulling the old reversal thing here
wink.gif
I wonder how many times you argued just the opposite??? --> Amusing Observation #19565

Now that a recession has ended, now Bush is responsible for it?

Yes, I specifically remember YOU arguing with ME last year that "consumer confidence" (lack thereof) led to the recession, of course I was probably blaming it on Clinton.
wink.gif

Lest we forget, his economic stimulus package--basically a whole slew of business tax cuts--are still held up in Congress.

Thanks to Daschle/Democrats
smile.gif

This time, by all accounts, the economy fixed itself.

Melon

<---Amusing Observation # 19566 So the country is at war (I hear people say is good for economy, I hear some say its bad) and the terrorist attacks scare everyone away from airplanes and shopping malls and the economy fixed itself
confused.gif

Actually, I would give credit to Greenspan cutting the intrest rates a billion times, the major car companies offering 0% financing, and YES the Bush tax cuts helped too.

My point of this thread was that this recession began and is ending under the Bush administration, giving him due credit for both.

Well, my point with that is that you can't blame Bush, if you are living in Honduras. He isn't the President of the World--at least in terms of local national economic policy for international nations.
tongue.gif

But maybe I'm wrong. Do you live in America? I can be wrong as well, you know...

Melon

------------------

O wait...the guy from Honduras is "BrownEyedBoy" methinks. I get some of these names confused, which obviously isn't your fault. Too many newbies over the years!
wink.gif

Apologies. Disregard what I said, and continue on.
smile.gif

Melon

------------------

Back
Top Bottom