Condom a Cappella Ring Tone - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 08-22-2008, 09:03 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 06:35 AM
Condom a Cappella Ring Tone

Well that's unusual. Would it work to "make condoms more socially acceptable and promote the image of a condom user as a smart and responsible person"? I don't know..

How do you tackle the taboo of talking about condoms? A new HIV-awareness campaign in India is using a cell phone ring tone to start the conversation. The tone consists of a choir repeating the word "condom."

The "Condom a Cappella" ring tone is part of a massive campaign produced by the BBC World Service Trust with a grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to help prevent the spread of HIV in India. The goal of the campaign is to "make condoms more socially acceptable and promote the image of a condom user as a smart and responsible person," according to the BBC World Service Trust.

With approximately half of the world's population carrying cell phones (India alone has more than 140 million subscribers), can other public service messages via ring tones be far behind?

You can listen to it here

Obviously the purpose of it is completely serious-but a choir repeating the word condom is pretty funny too. That'll be stuck in my brain all day

Old 08-24-2008, 08:16 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 06:35 AM

Old 08-25-2008, 02:07 AM   #3
love, blood, life
Local Time: 04:35 AM
Uh, good idea, bad execution. The song itself is so ridiculous, that it'll induce nothing but laughs. I don't know, my logic just says that if you're giggling about contraceptives, you're more likely to be too embarrassed to buy them/use them/ask your partner to use them. There has to be a better/easier way to get kids past the taboo/gigglishness of condoms, educate them, and encourage them to use them.

My suggestion of putting them in cereal boxes is unlikely to fly though.