Colin Powell should be President - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2003, 10:04 PM   #1
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:12 AM
Colin Powell should be President

I was up late last night watching tv, and I happened on a cspan broadcast of Colin Powell's speech to the UN about Iraq. It was clear, it was direct, it was to the point and used extensive evidence to support claims that Iraq not only harbors terrorists but assists them, still has plans for weapons of mass destruction, and is in essence giving the finger to the UN and US. It was a very convincing speech and I admit that I am reassessing my views on this whole issue because of it.

Now my real question is this. Why can't we have a president who is capable of this kind of speech? Every time Bush talks about Iraq it comes across as just this grandiose propagandistic good vs evil, we're the cowboys let's go get them indians bullshit that is thoroughly unconvincing to me. Bush says there is a mountain of evidence against him, but he doesn't shed light on even a small pile of dirt of that evidence, and instead defers it to his secretary of state. Why? Why does Bush himself seem happy to just be firm in pushing for aggression against Iraq without really explaining why beyond accusations without evidence?

I think a lot more people would have confidence in our president if instead of saying "we have the evidence to prove our suspicions against Iraq" and then not disclosing that information or instead letting one of his people disclose it, he said "we have the evidence...and here it is: #1....#2...." etc.

Which brings me to Colin Powell. He should be president. He's well-liked, well-educated and well-versed in global politics, he's clear, speaks in a direct and concise fashion without melodrama or stupid little coined phrases to market his cause (*cough*Axis of evil*cough*), and he's not an extremist who'll spend taxpayer money to cover up a work of art because it has a *gasp!* bare breast. He's a man who surely inspires more conviction than Dubya - a man who has proven himself in service of this country and who both Democrats and Republicans have a great deal of respect for.

Thoughts?

Old 02-06-2003, 10:09 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:12 AM
i love colin powell. he is one of very few public figures that i actually trust.

Old 02-06-2003, 10:11 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

It's because politics is all about lies, not the truth. For instance, Paul O'Neill was removed, because he was too honest; Snow will be the right yes-man for the Secretary of Treasury.

Powell won't run for President. The bigot vote is still crucial for Republicans in the Presidential election, and Colin Powell won't be able to recruit from Bob Jones University and its alumni.

Melon
Old 02-06-2003, 10:20 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:12 AM
From what I've heard, Powell's wife isn't too keen on him being President either. I know this concern was expressed when he was on the "short list" for Bush's running mate.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:20 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

the problem is this: george bush is an idiot who just happens to be in a postion of power where he can make a real difference in the world. I thought he was a fool when he was running for president; I thought that the events of 9/11 and the way he handled them brought him up a few notches in my book. the way he talks about iraq is really annoying, and reminds me he is in fact an idiot.

what people should remember about america is that it is represented by its citizens, not its president. its the freedoms of its people and our way of life that are at stake when we're talking about terrorism....not a cowboys president's ego trip about "we're gonna hunt 'em down".

this is why I believe that, while it has been presented foolishly by bush by eloquently by powell, the evidence is that iraq in fact has not dissarmed, has no intentions of doing so, and is a threat to the u.s.
whether or not you buy the al-queda ties or not, one fact remains: saddam is evil, hates the u.s., and has weapons of mass destruction.

colin powell for president.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:39 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:12 AM
Officer Diemen,

good post.

i would vote for him.

however meegan has it right, his wife wont let him.

colin represents the changing and evolving face of republicanism.

i think w colin explaining, it was preplanned by this administration.
colin is a reluctant hawk w an immense amount of bi partisan respect.

i think gw is more clever than most of us realize.
gw is not a speech pathologist and humbly has never claimed to be..which has played in his favor.

melon, i think u are mistaken and have some anger issues.

jofo-shame on u.

dB9
Old 02-06-2003, 10:47 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

If Colin Powel had run for President back in 1996, he would have beat Clinton in probably the largest landslide this country has ever seen. Clintons re-election team were scared stiff about Colin Powel running for president.
Old 02-06-2003, 11:32 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Diemen,

You posted my thoughts exactly. I too have heard and read, the Powell'w wife does not want him to run. Moderate Republicans, are still not widely accepted in the party. TO my regret, the party is still dominated by the extreme right. The last election, and the way Bush won the nomination is evidence of this. ten years or so from now, he has a shot if he wants it.

Peace
Old 02-06-2003, 11:44 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:12 PM
Does anybody really believe this Republican Party would nominate anyone who supports affirmative action, and if I am not mistaken is pro-choice.
Old 02-07-2003, 12:22 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

diamond:

sorry. but my opinion of bush is not favorable. that's just the way it is. I'll make this point to you though:

try to remember back to the fall of 2000, while the campaigns were going on. now, maybe you were a bush supporter then and thought he's a smart man who would make a good leader. fine. but to me, and I'm not a democrat, he was the worst possible choice from the republican party. (I'm also not republican). he was lampooned in the press, ridiculed in the media, and generally thought of as a buffoon. and with good reason.

fast forward to 9/11.......now, it wouldn't make a difference if bozo the clown was president of the united states; the country was going to rally around him and any action he took would be respected.

in other words, it's the events of our time that have made this man...the man has not made the events of our time.
Old 02-07-2003, 01:10 AM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

[IMG]file:///C:/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/statesfinal.art[/IMG]
ahh shite it aint posting.
plez post it mr deep.
Old 02-07-2003, 01:55 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:12 PM
diamond,

It looks like you are trying to attach an image.

It has to be a .jpg or .gif file.

The one you are attaching is an .art file.

Sorry I can not help you from here.
Old 02-07-2003, 06:26 AM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by JOFO
diamond:
in other words, it's the events of our time that have made this man...the man has not made the events of our time.

Old 02-07-2003, 07:12 AM   #14
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

gw is not a speech pathologist and humbly has never claimed to be..which has played in his favor.
Actually, I think quite the opposite. imho, Bush's lack of oratorical skill plays against him every time he makes a speech.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:09 AM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

only to some....
but not as many as some think..(poll no.s)

clever as a fox is clever,
and as cute as the baby monkey in my avatar.

db9