Colin Powell should be President

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diemen

Resident Photo Buff
Staff member
I was up late last night watching tv, and I happened on a cspan broadcast of Colin Powell's speech to the UN about Iraq. It was clear, it was direct, it was to the point and used extensive evidence to support claims that Iraq not only harbors terrorists but assists them, still has plans for weapons of mass destruction, and is in essence giving the finger to the UN and US. It was a very convincing speech and I admit that I am reassessing my views on this whole issue because of it.

Now my real question is this. Why can't we have a president who is capable of this kind of speech? Every time Bush talks about Iraq it comes across as just this grandiose propagandistic good vs evil, we're the cowboys let's go get them indians bullshit that is thoroughly unconvincing to me. Bush says there is a mountain of evidence against him, but he doesn't shed light on even a small pile of dirt of that evidence, and instead defers it to his secretary of state. Why? Why does Bush himself seem happy to just be firm in pushing for aggression against Iraq without really explaining why beyond accusations without evidence?

I think a lot more people would have confidence in our president if instead of saying "we have the evidence to prove our suspicions against Iraq" and then not disclosing that information or instead letting one of his people disclose it, he said "we have the evidence...and here it is: #1....#2...." etc.

Which brings me to Colin Powell. He should be president. He's well-liked, well-educated and well-versed in global politics, he's clear, speaks in a direct and concise fashion without melodrama or stupid little coined phrases to market his cause (*cough*Axis of evil*cough*), and he's not an extremist who'll spend taxpayer money to cover up a work of art because it has a *gasp!* bare breast. He's a man who surely inspires more conviction than Dubya - a man who has proven himself in service of this country and who both Democrats and Republicans have a great deal of respect for.

Thoughts?

It's because politics is all about lies, not the truth. For instance, Paul O'Neill was removed, because he was too honest; Snow will be the right yes-man for the Secretary of Treasury.

Powell won't run for President. The bigot vote is still crucial for Republicans in the Presidential election, and Colin Powell won't be able to recruit from Bob Jones University and its alumni. :|

Melon

From what I've heard, Powell's wife isn't too keen on him being President either. I know this concern was expressed when he was on the "short list" for Bush's running mate.

the problem is this: george bush is an idiot who just happens to be in a postion of power where he can make a real difference in the world. I thought he was a fool when he was running for president; I thought that the events of 9/11 and the way he handled them brought him up a few notches in my book. the way he talks about iraq is really annoying, and reminds me he is in fact an idiot.

what people should remember about america is that it is represented by its citizens, not its president. its the freedoms of its people and our way of life that are at stake when we're talking about terrorism....not a cowboys president's ego trip about "we're gonna hunt 'em down".

this is why I believe that, while it has been presented foolishly by bush by eloquently by powell, the evidence is that iraq in fact has not dissarmed, has no intentions of doing so, and is a threat to the u.s.
whether or not you buy the al-queda ties or not, one fact remains: saddam is evil, hates the u.s., and has weapons of mass destruction.

colin powell for president.

Officer Diemen,

good post.

i would vote for him.

however meegan has it right, his wife wont let him.

colin represents the changing and evolving face of republicanism.:up:

i think w colin explaining, it was preplanned by this administration.
colin is a reluctant hawk w an immense amount of bi partisan respect.

i think gw is more clever than most of us realize.
gw is not a speech pathologist and humbly has never claimed to be..which has played in his favor. :)

melon, i think u are mistaken and have some anger issues.:larry:

jofo-shame on u.;)

dB9

Last edited:
If Colin Powel had run for President back in 1996, he would have beat Clinton in probably the largest landslide this country has ever seen. Clintons re-election team were scared stiff about Colin Powel running for president.

Diemen,

You posted my thoughts exactly. I too have heard and read, the Powell'w wife does not want him to run. Moderate Republicans, are still not widely accepted in the party. TO my regret, the party is still dominated by the extreme right. The last election, and the way Bush won the nomination is evidence of this. ten years or so from now, he has a shot if he wants it.

Peace

Does anybody really believe this Republican Party would nominate anyone who supports affirmative action, and if I am not mistaken is pro-choice.

diamond:

sorry. but my opinion of bush is not favorable. that's just the way it is. I'll make this point to you though:

try to remember back to the fall of 2000, while the campaigns were going on. now, maybe you were a bush supporter then and thought he's a smart man who would make a good leader. fine. but to me, and I'm not a democrat, he was the worst possible choice from the republican party. (I'm also not republican). he was lampooned in the press, ridiculed in the media, and generally thought of as a buffoon. and with good reason.

fast forward to 9/11.......now, it wouldn't make a difference if bozo the clown was president of the united states; the country was going to rally around him and any action he took would be respected.

in other words, it's the events of our time that have made this man...the man has not made the events of our time.

statesfinal.art

ahh shite it aint posting.
plez post it mr deep.
:angry:

Last edited:
diamond,

It looks like you are trying to attach an image.

It has to be a .jpg or .gif file.

The one you are attaching is an .art file.

Sorry I can not help you from here.

JOFO said:
diamond:
in other words, it's the events of our time that have made this man...the man has not made the events of our time.

:up:

diamond said:

gw is not a speech pathologist and humbly has never claimed to be..which has played in his favor. :)

Actually, I think quite the opposite. imho, Bush's lack of oratorical skill plays against him every time he makes a speech.

only to some....;)
but not as many as some think..(poll no.s)

clever as a fox is clever,
and as cute as the baby monkey in my avatar.:dance:

db9

Last edited:
He's like his father: somewhat clever on the foreign affairs and clueless as all hell on domestic affairs. National polls indicate that the general public believes this as well. Of course, since I think daddy Bush is running the show through Dick Cheney...

Melon

He has said in the past that he would not run unless his whole family was for it and he was not too crazy about putting them threw the whole rig-a-ma-row that is involved.

Doesn't it say something that so many in this thread are willing to vote for a man whose stance on most political issues remains largely unknown?

JOFO said:
the problem is this: george bush is an idiot...

STILL trying to figure out how:

-An MBA from a prestigious university,
-Success in running several large corporations AND
-Leading the United States of America as President through the largest single terrorist attack ever

makes you an "idiot"...

I dare say you will not accomplish 1/100 of this in your life.

Last edited:
Zoocoustic said:

Please define, "success."

Edited to add: Sure he led the country through its worst terrorist attack ever. He was our president when we were attacked. For him to continue to be our president (read: leader) after that event was the least he could do.

Last edited:
Zoocoustic said:

STILL trying to figure out how:

-An MBA from a prestigious university,
-Leading the United States of America as President through the largest single terrorist attack ever

makes you an "idiot"...

I dare say you will not accomplish 1/100 of this in your life.

I would dare say that too.

and I would still die at peace with who I am.

but I'm no idiot.:tongue:

Zoocoustic said:
-An MBA from a prestigious university

Daddy got him in, and the uni handed him a degree.

-Success in running several large corporations

"Success"? His business ventures were failures.

What did he do that another president wouldn't have done?

Melon

The President should be good at foreign Affairs since the Presidency is essentially a foreign policy position. The Presidents powers in regards to foreign policy and national security are way ahead of the Presidents ability to effect domestic policy. When you vote for President, Foreign Policy and National Security should be the things you look at first, because the Presidents ability to effect those area's is greatest.

melon said:

Daddy got him in, and the uni handed him a degree.

"Success"? His business ventures were failures.

What did he do that another president wouldn't have done?

Melon

I second the motion of the member from Boston.

His business ventures were successes? Scratching head!

STING2 said:
The President should be good at foreign Affairs since the Presidency is essentially a foreign policy position. The Presidents powers in regards to foreign policy and national security are way ahead of the Presidents ability to effect domestic policy. When you vote for President, Foreign Policy and National Security should be the things you look at first, because the Presidents ability to effect those area's is greatest.

I disagree in part. The Presidency, should, foremost, be about domestic policy. We elect the President of the United States, not the President of Everywhere Outside the United States.

I agree in many parts with the way foreign policy has been handled, and I agree that a tough stance has to be taken on Saddam Hussein. Diplomatically, it has been known that you have to be brutal with this man words-wise, because, otherwise, he'll walk all over you.

However, I disagree with the way this has been handled in regards to the "secrecy" aspect to this presidency and I think his domestic policy is atrocious. Thank goodness the Republican Party didn't get its way in the late 1990s and pushed through a balanced-budget amendment, because it is clear that Bush doesn't know how to stick to one. He left Texas with a monster-sized debt as well, and, as it appears, he'll leave the U.S. with one that rivals the one that Reagan left us.

Without the war on terrorism, Bush is an ineffectually bad president, and he knows this. He'll milk this war for all it is worth.

Melon

Melon,

The President is the Commander In Chief. There is nothing that can effect the United States more than threats to our security and international security. We live in a Global interdependent world. The President, not members of congress, is the one that deals with foreign leaders on a regular basis.

Just look at the powers the president has compared to the powers that members of congress have. I'm more likely to effect the community I live in by dealing with local and state representitives or perhaps my congressional representitive than by attempting to get the President to look at the situation here.

Just look at the amount of time any President must spend exclusively on Foreign Policy and national security compared to a Senator or Representitive. There is no other elected official that must deal with foreign Policy more than the President. There for, your #1 issue when voting for President should be Foreign Policy and National Security. Someone like your Representitive should be voted on primarily for thoughts on domestic policy than foreign policy, because their ability to effect things in that area especially where you live is greater in regards to their ability to effect Foreign Policy.

That is an ideal world, but it appears that our Congress merely regurgitates the ideas of the Bush Administration.

But if you are right, that is the problem of our Republican-controlled Congress, and we should vote them out to put in a Congress that will deal with domestic issues, and let the foreign policy matters deal with the President...

...but I don't know many Republicans who like that idea. Let's face it. We're going to get nothing done with our economy. We might as well have a recession until Bush is either voted out or term limits kick in.

(Let's see how many degrees I can amass in the meantime...)

Melon

Powell is a very well spoken puppet.

Having said this, I also have to say that deep down I like him, as a leader, and not a puppet.

If he is a true republican, he will wait to run until 2008.

HOWEVER

If I were Powell, I would resign in 6 months, change my affiliation, and take Bush down.

Back
Top Bottom