Colin Powell: Iraq is in a Civil War

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
as heard on CNN today:

[q]GORANI: Well, within the context of the leaders conference in Dubai and also within the context of this debate, this semantics debate, over whether to call what is going on on in Iraq a civil war, the former Secretary of State Colin Powell says he thinks we can call it a civil war and added if he were still heading the State Department, he probably would recommend to the Bush administration that those terms should be used in order to come to terms with the reality on the ground.

I’m paraphrasing what he told me. This was closed to cameras and this was something he said within the context of this academic debate with 2 or 3,000 people watching on in the region.[/q]

Dreadsox said:
What the hell does he know?

he used to be thoroughly trustworthy and used to be totally quotable, because he is seen as credible in the eyes of people who aren't 100% certain that every single thing that the US military has ever done has always been 100% right.

but now?

no credibility. none whatsoever.

I do find it odd with all the debate over the use of words. This has been a recent phenomenon as politicians have been using vocabulary as a method of diluting the truth.

Many claim America is at war while what is happening in Iraq is not a war.

Hmm, I don't see US civilians suffering one iota because of the war. Yes, people with loved ones based in Iraq and Afghanistan are suffering loss but there are no sacrifices being made, shit, taxes have been cut. People get up everyday and go to work, buy PS3s, go to Starbucks and so on.

Iraqi civilians are living during a time of a great migration, redistributing people along ethnic lines where any large gathering of people is deemed a target. Death squads roam the streets of Baghdad targeting people based on their ethnicity. There is still no strong stable infrastructure after 3 years of US occupation.

Who is at war? War is commonly considered to be events on a scale of Vietnam, Korea or WWI or WWII. So if people refuse to consider the situation in Iraq to be a civil war then they better reconsider the suggestion that the US is at war.

Back
Top Bottom