Colbert Roasts Bush, Bush Is Not Amused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
I hope they are showing this again on CSpan. They say the audience wasn't amused either. What did they expect when they invited him? There have been other people who have spoken at that dinner who have gotten themselves into "trouble". Where do you draw the line? I guess Bush also poked fun at himself w/ a Bush lookalike.

about.com

"In one of the ballsiest comic stunts ever pulled in Washington, comedian Stephen Colbert delivered a blistering "tribute" to President Bush at the annual White House Correspondents' Dinner. It was so edgy and uncomfortable that it was almost too hard to watch, as a cold-faced and stunned Bush sat on the dais with the look of someone who had just been ambushed.

Acting the part of the faux conservative talk show host that he plays on Comedy Central's The Colbert Report, Colbert leveled an all-out assault on Bush under the guise of mock praise. He lampooned Bush over everything from his low approval ratings to his handling of Iraq to his vaunted stubbornness -- and got in a few shots at the press corps as well.

The members of the media elite and political glitterati in attendance gave Colbert a tepid reception, while the president and First Lady Laura Bush couldn't get off the stage fast enough when the drubbing came to a merciful end."

Highlights from Colbert's Comedy Routine

On Bush's 32% approval rating: "The glass isn't half empty -- it's 68% empty. There's still some fluid in there, but I wouldn't drink it. "

"Guys like us -- we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that people are thinking in ‘reality’. And ‘reality’ has a well known liberal bias."

"I stand by this man because he stands for things. Not only for things, he stands on things. Things like aircraft carriers, and rubble, and recently flooded city squares. And that sends a strong message that no matter what happens to America she will always rebound with the most powerfully staged photo-ops in the world."

"I believe that the government that governs best is a government that governs least, and by these standards we have set up a fabulous government in Iraq."

On Bush, "the decider": "When the president decides something on Monday, he still believes it on Wednesday -- no matter what happened Tuesday."

"Fox News gives you both sides of every story -- the President’s side and the Vice President’s side."

On claims that the shake-up at the White House was merely re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic: "This Administration is not sinking. This Administration is soaring. If anything they are rearranging the deck chairs on the Hindenburg."

On the press corps: "You should spend more time with your families, write that novel you've always wanted to write. You know, the one about the fearless reporter who stands up to the administration. You know -- fiction."

more here

http://politicalhumor.about.com/gi/...article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002425363

George Clooney was there too, I'm only posting the photo because it shows Madeleine Albright

r485319211.jpg

Henry Kissinger, holy hotness

r1611385945.jpg

:lmao:

Damnit, I'm so sorry that I missed this. Stephen Colbert is a god.

I hope I can find it on Youtube/torrents. Or somewhere online.

Edit: Nevermind. I love you, Wanderer. :love:

Last edited:
Damn, I missed this. I don't watch much TV because I hate those stupid reality shows, but I miss some good shows. I do watch the History Channel, and I'll be watching the news in Turkey. I want to keep up with what's going on at home.

Last edited:
Haha...this was great. Not only did he rip into the Bush Administration, but he also ripped into the lazy press that never challenges him.

Melon

One of the few times I've watched CSPAN. Colbert's closing video showing himself as Press Secretary was hysterical.

The crowd was remarkably quiet during Colbert's comments.

Yeah, it pisses me off that the press soft-balls Bush. He's getting away with being mediocre, and I don't like that in a president.

I only caught the portion where he made the video of being chased by Helen. I didn't think it was funny, and normally I love Stephen Colbert. Oh well.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I hope they are showing this again on CSpan. They say the audience wasn't amused either. What did they expect when they invited him? There have been other people who have spoken at that dinner who have gotten themselves into "trouble". Where do you draw the line? I guess Bush also poked fun at himself w/ a Bush lookalike.

about.com

"In one of the ballsiest comic stunts ever pulled in Washington, comedian Stephen Colbert delivered a blistering "tribute" to President Bush at the annual White House Correspondents' Dinner. It was so edgy and uncomfortable that it was almost too hard to watch, as a cold-faced and stunned Bush sat on the dais with the look of someone who had just been ambushed.

Acting the part of the faux conservative talk show host that he plays on Comedy Central's The Colbert Report, Colbert leveled an all-out assault on Bush under the guise of mock praise. He lampooned Bush over everything from his low approval ratings to his handling of Iraq to his vaunted stubbornness -- and got in a few shots at the press corps as well.

The members of the media elite and political glitterati in attendance gave Colbert a tepid reception, while the president and First Lady Laura Bush couldn't get off the stage fast enough when the drubbing came to a merciful end."

Highlights from Colbert's Comedy Routine

On Bush's 32% approval rating: "The glass isn't half empty -- it's 68% empty. There's still some fluid in there, but I wouldn't drink it. "

"Guys like us -- we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that people are thinking in ‘reality’. And ‘reality’ has a well known liberal bias."

"I stand by this man because he stands for things. Not only for things, he stands on things. Things like aircraft carriers, and rubble, and recently flooded city squares. And that sends a strong message that no matter what happens to America she will always rebound with the most powerfully staged photo-ops in the world."

"I believe that the government that governs best is a government that governs least, and by these standards we have set up a fabulous government in Iraq."

On Bush, "the decider": "When the president decides something on Monday, he still believes it on Wednesday -- no matter what happened Tuesday."

"Fox News gives you both sides of every story -- the President’s side and the Vice President’s side."

On claims that the shake-up at the White House was merely re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic: "This Administration is not sinking. This Administration is soaring. If anything they are rearranging the deck chairs on the Hindenburg."

On the press corps: "You should spend more time with your families, write that novel you've always wanted to write. You know, the one about the fearless reporter who stands up to the administration. You know -- fiction."

more here

http://politicalhumor.about.com/gi/...article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002425363

Well, what can you do when your party has been defeated in all the elections over the past 6 years for control of the White House, Senate, and House of Representatives?:wink:

Re: Re: Colbert Roasts Bush, Bush Is Not Amused

STING2 said:

Well, what can you do when your party has been defeated in all the elections over the past 6 years for control of the White House, Senate, and House of Representatives?:wink:

Yes, the trip and scenery are magnificent while traveling on the Hindenburg, enjoy your landing.:wink:

Re: Re: Colbert Roasts Bush, Bush Is Not Amused

STING2 said:

If you're going to lose, you're going to lose. And this is applicable to both political parties over the years.

However, if you're going to lose, the least you can do is fight and be a strong opposition party. Then when the ruling party is a corrupt mess, people will know that there's an alternative right around the corner.

Melon

Colbert will be on "60 Minutes" tonight. I'm sure the interview was done before this latest spectacle, but I'm sure people might be interested anyway.

Melon

Re: Re: Re: Colbert Roasts Bush, Bush Is Not Amused

deep said:

Yes, the trip and scenery are magnificent while traveling on the Hindenburg, enjoy your landing.:wink:

Essentially what Democrats have been telling Republicans since November 2000. Enjoy the next 10 years of Republican control of the White House. Perhaps after McCains presidency ends in 2017, the Democrats might have a chance. :wink:

That was amazing. Stephen Colbert has brass balls. He had to have known that he would not be received well, but he didn't shy away at all. Uncomfortable to watch, but absolutely brilliant. :up:

And the press got it far worse than the president did.

Diemen said:
That was amazing. Stephen Colbert has brass balls. He had to have known that he would not be received well, but he didn't shy away at all. Uncomfortable to watch, but absolutely brilliant. :up:

:yes: It was perfect...he said what needed to be said.

I LOVED the Helen Thomas skit...I was absolutely rolling. Stephen Colbert is brilliant. :rockon:

Diemen said:

Deservedly so!

Perhaps after McCains presidency ends in 2017, the Democrats might have a chance

Colbert brilliantly roasted him over his Bob Jones visit and pandering to bigots. If McCain wants to be a bigot by-proxy, let it be known to everyone.

2000 was probably McCains golden year.

Bob Dole was seen as an independent moderate. He may have peaked in 1980.

McCain will have as difficult a time as McCellan did
with having to deal with 180 degree contradictions.

Oh, and I did watch the stream

and I will say

Scalia, did take his ribbing well.
Not a fan of him, but will give him props for laughing at himself.

deep said:
2000 was probably McCains golden year.

Bob Dole was seen as an independent moderate. He may have peaked in 1980.

McCain will have as difficult a time as McCellan did
with having to deal with 180 degree contradictions.

The Democrats know they probably have no one who can beat McCain. Hillary Clinton could potentially lose by double digits. Their best hope was for the conservatives in the Republican party to beat him, or for McCain not to run, but the elites are now lining up behind him. The flurry of recent negative articles by the left about McCain is another sign of just how worried they are, despite the fact that the campaign is still 1-2 years away.

Re: Re: Re: Colbert Roasts Bush, Bush Is Not Amused

melon said:
However, if you're going to lose, the least you can do is fight and be a strong opposition party. Then when the ruling party is a corrupt mess, people will know that there's an alternative right around the corner.

True. That's what put the Republicans in power starting back in the '80's.

anitram said:

Deservedly so!

Colbert brilliantly roasted him over his Bob Jones visit and pandering to bigots. If McCain wants to be a bigot by-proxy, let it be known to everyone.

Its laughable that anyone could label McCain a bigot considering what he has done for this country. The Democrats only strategy against McCain is attempting to smear him in that way. It will do little to offset a blow out victory(compared to recent presidential elections) for McCain against Hillary Clinton if the Democrats choose her to be their nominee. Even a liberal like Chris Matthews has stated that if McCain decides to run, the Presidency is his.

Back
Top Bottom