Colbert Roasts Bush, Bush Is Not Amused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
anitram said:
Your support of the Republicans is second only to the smugness with which you discuss any and all future elections, STING. It's highly conducive to having a dialogue here. :|

Iraq, too.

anyway, it's unbelievable to me that STING hasn't even discussed the push polling campaign orchestrated by Rove wherein extremely conservative south carolina voters were called up and asked to take a poll, and one of the questions was whether or not they'd be less likely they'd vote for McCain if they knew he had an out-of-wedlock child with a black woman (since the McCain's did adopt a child from Bangladesh). they also called into question McCain's sanity due to his time spent in a POW camp.

McCain and Bush absoultely hate each other, and McCain's reputation as a maverick on par with a rock start grates with many in the Republican Party -- and knowing people who work for Sen. Kyle, McCain's attention seeking as well as his glowing adoration by the "liberal" (lmao) media, it is well understood that the party establishment will destroy him, again, in the primaries precisely because McCain doesn't speak enough to the rabidly bigoted Republican base. he also has irritated the base by siding strongly with the democrats on issues like global warming and he did vote against the 2001 tax cuts. the republicans are non-to-thrilled with how he has handled judicial nominations

he's pro-life? so fucking what? every single major republican candidate is pro-life and that doesn't get out the fundie vote. what gets out the fundie vote is either trying to smack the shit out of gay people, or speaking in religiously coded language like Bush and framing him as a born-again charismatic who's heart has been changed by Jesus.

if, and only if, McCain makes it through the primaries, he will be a very attractive presidential candidate.

though the more he visits Bob Jones, the more he talks up fantasies like Intelligent Design, the more he feels he must spit on gay people, the more he alienates mainstream Democrats who might otherwise have considered voting for him.

and Republicans can forget Giuliani. he's pro-choice and pro-gay, much more so than many democrats (after his wife dumped him, he moved in with close friends who happened to be a gay couple -- i wonder how the Senators from Oklahoma feel about that).

and with the way Iraq is devolving into sectarian chaos, those who supported the war might find it more than a bit of a liability in 2008, and this includes HRC.

Irvine511 said:

Iraq, too.

anyway, it's unbelievable to me that STING hasn't even discussed the push polling campaign orchestrated by Rove wherein extremely conservative south carolina voters were called up and asked to take a poll, and one of the questions was whether or not they'd be less likely they'd vote for McCain if they knew he had an out-of-wedlock child with a black woman (since the McCain's did adopt a child from Bangladesh). they also called into question McCain's sanity due to his time spent in a POW camp.

McCain and Bush absoultely hate each other, and McCain's reputation as a maverick on par with a rock start grates with many in the Republican Party -- and knowing people who work for Sen. Kyle, McCain's attention seeking as well as his glowing adoration by the "liberal" (lmao) media, it is well understood that the party establishment will destroy him, again, in the primaries precisely because McCain doesn't speak enough to the rabidly bigoted Republican base. he also has irritated the base by siding strongly with the democrats on issues like global warming and he did vote against the 2001 tax cuts. the republicans are non-to-thrilled with how he has handled judicial nominations

he's pro-life? so fucking what? every single major republican candidate is pro-life and that doesn't get out the fundie vote. what gets out the fundie vote is either trying to smack the shit out of gay people, or speaking in religiously coded language like Bush and framing him as a born-again charismatic who's heart has been changed by Jesus.

if, and only if, McCain makes it through the primaries, he will be a very attractive presidential candidate.

though the more he visits Bob Jones, the more he talks up fantasies like Intelligent Design, the more he feels he must spit on gay people, the more he alienates mainstream Democrats who might otherwise have considered voting for him.

and Republicans can forget Giuliani. he's pro-choice and pro-gay, much more so than many democrats (after his wife dumped him, he moved in with close friends who happened to be a gay couple -- i wonder how the Senators from Oklahoma feel about that).

and with the way Iraq is devolving into sectarian chaos, those who supported the war might find it more than a bit of a liability in 2008, and this includes HRC.

Its already been reported that most of the Republican party's main elites and fund raisers have lined up behind McCain just as they did for Bush back in 1998. Make no doubt about it, McCain is the front runner. John McCain combined with all that money will probably be unstopable, but its true that he will have more resistance in the primaries than he will in the national election.

ballsalicious :lol:

Editor and Publisher

Probably to no one's surprise, Jon Stewart, host of Comedy Central's "Daily Show," hailed the performance of his stablemate Stephen Colbert at Saturday night's White House Correspondents dinner. Colbert's lampooning of the president and the press has generated a good deal of praise and criticism.

"It was balls-alicious," Stewart said. "Apparently he was under the impression that they'd hired him to do what he does every night on television"--that is, make fun of conservatives, public officials and the press in the guise of an O'Reillyesque talk show host.

"We've never been prouder of him, but HOLY shit," Stewart added.

He also described the annual dinner as "where the President and the press corps consummate their loveless marriage."

Colbert then followed Stewart, on his own show, "The Colbert Report," describing the "honor of appearing" at the big dinner. He said the room was full of "power players" so he "fit right in."

"Best of all, I got to meet my main man, President Bush," he said, and even had a chance to shake his hand. "He has very soft hands," Colbert revealed, "which was surprising. He must wear gloves when he is clearing brush."

Colbert made fun of his mixed reception at the dinner, re-running the tape of one of his jokes with the audience barely reacting. He described this as "very respectful silence," and said that actually the crowd loved him.

"They practically carried me out on their shoulders," he said, "even though I wasn't ready to go." :lol:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris-durang/ignoring-colbert-part-tw_b_20130.html

"But the mainstream media is apparently ignoring this part of the evening, and instead is covering the early entertainment where Bush and a look-alike imitator do a "he says this, he's really thinking this" routine. Moderately amusing, but very mild.

This, by the way, is the same Washington event where Bush previously charmed many (and horrified others) by pretending to have trouble finding Weapons of Mass Destruction (after we'd started to realize they weren't in Iraq), and wandered the room looking under tables. Really cute, huh? They should send videos of that to the families of soldiers killed.

The media's ignoring Colbert's effect at the White House Correspondents Dinner is a very clear example of what others have called the media's penchant for buying into the conservative/rightwing "narrative."

In this instance, the "narrative" is that President Bush, for all his missteps, has a darling sense of humor and is a real regular guy, able to poke delightful fun at himself and his penchant for mis-using and mispronouncing words.

Who cares if he lied to start a war? (Or chose to ignore all contrary opinion, which as far as war-starting goes, is pretty crummy.) Who cares if he declares he's above the law, and according to the Boston Globe yesterday there are something like 750 laws he's decided don't apply to him as "Commander-in-Chief"? "

Last edited:
Thumbs up to Colbert - I am sure Mr. Bush does not hear disapproval to his face very often.

Although part of me is scared that he probably did not understand a lot of the sarcasm Colbert used.

Our President is a dumbass.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
how i dream that the moderates from both party's stick a middle finger to the ideologue's on both side and form a viable 3rd party.

:sigh: a man can dream, can't he...

I couldn't have said it any better :up:

I must admit this was just tremendous!!!!! Colbert rules!!!

:crack:

http://www.crooksandliars.com/

Colbert: The greatest thing about this man is he's steady. You know where he stands. He believes the same thing Wednesday that he believed on Monday, no matter what happened Tuesday. Events can change, this man's beliefs never will.

Zoller: "What came to mind after seeing "United 93" this weekend is 9/11 was a Tuesday, so that was -- and he probably didn't even think about a that, but for me, having lost friends in the World Trade Towers that was the first thing I thought of. "

how about this sticker? http://www.cafepress.com/buy/colbert/-/pv_design_details/pg_3/id_12333323/opt_/fpt_/c_/hlv_t

56432459v2_240x240_F.jpg

MrsSpringsteen said:

Colbert: The greatest thing about this man is he's steady. You know where he stands. He believes the same thing Wednesday that he believed on Monday, no matter what happened Tuesday. Events can change, this man's beliefs never will.

Zoller: "What came to mind after seeing "United 93" this weekend is 9/11 was a Tuesday, so that was -- and he probably didn't even think about a that, but for me, having lost friends in the World Trade Towers that was the first thing I thought of. "

9/11!!!!!!!

U2democrat said:

The lack of coverage by the media of Colbert shows A) Their arrogance

B) It just proves everything he was saying!!!
Instapundit on the law of diminishing returns.
2004: "Darn you mainstream media, you're ignoring a US ambassador whose visit to Niger exposed Bush!"

2005: "Darn you mainstream media, you're ignoring a UK official whose memo to 10 Downing exposed Bush!"

2006: "Darn you mainstream media, you're ignoring a comedian whose performance at a press roast exposed Bush!"
:wink:

http://thinkprogress.org/2006/05/24/delay-colbert/

"A good sign that Tom DeLay doesn’t have the facts on his side: the top source for his latest defense against his critics is Stephen Colbert.

This morning, DeLay’s legal defense fund sent out a mass email criticizing the movie “The Big Buy: Tom DeLay’s Stolen Congress,” by “Outfoxed” creator Robert Greenwald.

The email features a “one-pager on the truth behind Liberal Hollywood’s the Big Buy,” and the lead item is Colbert’s interview with Greenwald on Comedy Central (where Colbert plays a faux-conservative, O’Reilly-esque character). The headline of the “fact sheet”:

DeLay thinks Colbert is so persuasive, he’s now featuring the full video of the interview at the top of the legal fund’s website. And why not? According to the email, Greenwald “crashed and burned” under the pressure of Colbert’s hard-hitting questions, like “Who hates America more, you or Michael Moore?”

Apparently the people at DeLay’s legal fund think that Colbert is actually a conservative. Or maybe they’re just that desperate for supporters. "

Problem is, many viewers of the Daily Show and the Colbet Report think they are watching real news (which is a lot easier than finding New York on a map).

nbcrusader said:
Problem is, many viewers of the Daily Show and the Colbet Report think they are watching real news (which is a lot easier than finding New York on a map).

I know, that's really sad.

What's even more sad is that they're missing out on most of the jokes! Half of it is the way they make fun of the real news.

nbcrusader said:

I know they aren't real news shows, but what's on CNN and MSNBC and Fox News aren't exactly what I would call real "news" anymore, either. I was in the break room at work eating lunch today, and they had the TV tuned to MSNBC. They were going on and on about last night's American Idol finale for at least 20 minutes - maybe longer, since the segment was already underway when I got to the break room.

nbcrusader said:

Is there any study that actually shows that to be true?

I know there is one that shows that the Daily Show audience is better informed and more educated than viewers of mainstream media shows (FOX, NBC, etc).

So I doubt the veracity of the statement.

Back
Top Bottom