Colbert Roasts Bush, Bush Is Not Amused - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2006, 06:45 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
I only caught the portion where he made the video of being chased by Helen. I didn't think it was funny, and normally I love Stephen Colbert. Oh well.
The idea was good, but the execution dragged on too long. After a while, the fumbling for keys thing gets old.

Old 04-30-2006, 06:59 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:53 PM
STING are you so naive to believe that McCain will win if all the right wing wacko fundamentalists stay home and sit on their hands on voting day?

He will pander to that base and if that means going to racist universities and lambasting homosexuals for every evil in our society, then he will do it. To me, that's bigotry. I never said that he wouldn't win because of it, in fact I think the more you pander to this fringe, the better off you are electorally. And it's a pretty damn sad social statement.

Old 04-30-2006, 07:11 PM   #33
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:53 PM
colbert is my hero.

that was fucking hilarious. I can't believe they even let him speak. I don't know what the hell they were thinking, but that was brilliant.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:23 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

The idea was good, but the execution dragged on too long. After a while, the fumbling for keys thing gets old.
except that this administration
has been running, and running away from her for years

Quote:
Now here was Helen Thomas, in 2004, resurrecting a rumor that could have derailed Bush’s 2000 presidential campaign had the press been paying attention.

"Q: Did the President ever have to take time off from Guard duty to do community service?

Scott McClellan: To do community service? I haven't looked into everything he did 30 years ago, Helen. Obviously, there is different community service he has performed in the past, including going back to that time period --

Q: Can you find out if he actually had --

Scott McClellan: Helen, I don't think we remember every single activity he was involved in 30 years ago.

Q: No, this isn't an activity. Was he forced to do community service at any time while he was on --

Scott McClellan: What's your interest in that question? I'm sorry, I just --

Q: Lots of rumors. I'm just trying to clear up something.

Scott McClellan: Rumors about what?

Q: Pardon?

Scott McClellan: Rumors about what?

Q: About the President having to do community service while he was in the National Guard, take time out for that.

Scott McClellan: I'm not aware of those rumors. But if you want to --

Q: Could you look it up? Would you mind asking him?

Scott McClellan: That's why I'm asking what's your interest in that? I just don't understand your interest in that.

Q: It's what everybody is interested in, whether we're getting the true story on his Guard duty.

Scott McClellan: Well, you have the documents that show the facts.

Q: I'm asking you to try to find out from the President of the United States.

Scott McClellan: Like I said, it's well known the different jobs he had and what he was doing previously, that we know. That goes back to --

Q: I didn't say ‘previously.’ I said, while he was on Guard duty.

Scott McClellan: But you're asking me about 30 years ago. I don't think there's a recollection of everything he was doing 30 years ago.

Q: Well, he would know if he had to take time out. . . ."

. . . and so on, for fifteen minutes.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:27 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

Not exactly the best example of serious investigative journalism
Old 04-30-2006, 07:33 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
STING are you so naive to believe that McCain will win if all the right wing wacko fundamentalists stay home and sit on their hands on voting day?

He will pander to that base and if that means going to racist universities and lambasting homosexuals for every evil in our society, then he will do it. To me, that's bigotry. I never said that he wouldn't win because of it, in fact I think the more you pander to this fringe, the better off you are electorally. And it's a pretty damn sad social statement.
Are you so naive to believe that the party's base will sit at home and let a Democrat walk into the office just because they disagree with McCain on a few issues? Talking to people and finding common ground is not bigotry.

I look forward to the laughable smear compaign against John McCain. It will only backfire.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:48 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:53 AM
I look forward to seeing Mark Warner kick George Allen's ass

At least...that's my dream scenario for 2008...Virginia would be heaven for political junkies like myself
Old 04-30-2006, 07:57 PM   #38
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2

Are you so naive to believe that the party's base will sit at home and let a Democrat walk into the office just because they disagree with McCain on a few issues?
They've already started making such claims...

Quote:

I look forward to the laughable smear compaign against John McCain. It will only backfire.
Like the one Bush did to McCain?
Old 04-30-2006, 08:03 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Like the one Bush did to McCain?
Old 04-30-2006, 08:10 PM   #40
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:

Are you so naive to believe that the party's base will sit at home and let a Democrat walk into the office just because they disagree with McCain on a few issues? Talking to people and finding common ground is not bigotry.

What's truly laughable (in a depressing sort of way) is how the slightest criticism from "the left" these days constitutes a smear campaign. And as BVS pointed out, no one does a smear campaign better than the Republicans.

Look, talking to people and finding common ground is one thing. Giving a speech at their university lends the university and it's cause credibility (that's why you don't see many politicians willing to speak at KKK rallies...). If it was Bill Frist or Rick Santorum going down there it wouldn't be a big deal. But McCain had not too long ago said that we should not be pandering to either extreme, and yet here he is courting one of them. Unless McCain were to pull a surprise and show some backbone again and criticize some of the university's more dubious stances, then he is tacitly okaying what Bob Jones University stands for, and that is what some of us have an issue with.

Personally, I'm hoping he doesn't leave without making it clear he doesn't approve of some of their teachings, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:11 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Just watched the 60 Minutes segment with Ed Bradley.
Stephen Colbert is truly an incredible talent, and his intelligence never ceases to amaze me.
Not to mention he's frigging funny beyond words.
I always look forward to seeing his show, when I can.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:22 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen

But McCain had not too long ago said that we should not be pandering to either extreme, and yet here he is courting one of them. Unless McCain were to pull a surprise and show some backbone again and criticize some of the university's more dubious stances, then he is tacitly okaying what Bob Jones University stands for, and that is what some of us have an issue with.

Personally, I'm hoping he doesn't leave without making it clear he doesn't approve of some of their teachings, but I'm not holding my breath.

I know there are some things politicians have to do to get elected, but this is going too far.
I can't help but feel if he's willing to do this then he is pandering to a group of peole that I don't want to have any role in making desicions concerning my country.
For the first time I have begun to question his integerity.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:00 PM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life

Do people really think McCain would beat out Gulliani for the nomination so easily?
Old 04-30-2006, 10:01 PM   #44
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:53 PM
don't know if this was posted...

These links show his whole appearance at the White House Correspondent's Dinner...enjoy!

Colbert Roasts Bush 3

part1

part3
Old 04-30-2006, 10:23 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen
Unless McCain were to pull a surprise and show some backbone again and criticize some of the university's more dubious stances, then he is tacitly okaying what Bob Jones University stands for, and that is what some of us have an issue with.
Therein lies another issue for the Democrats to properly analyze. Many say "Bob Jones" and immediately think "extremist". But, does " Bob Jones" evoke the same response by the general public?