Colbert Roasts Bush, Bush Is Not Amused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
corianderstem said:
I only caught the portion where he made the video of being chased by Helen. I didn't think it was funny, and normally I love Stephen Colbert. Oh well.

The idea was good, but the execution dragged on too long. After a while, the fumbling for keys thing gets old.

STING are you so naive to believe that McCain will win if all the right wing wacko fundamentalists stay home and sit on their hands on voting day?

He will pander to that base and if that means going to racist universities and lambasting homosexuals for every evil in our society, then he will do it. To me, that's bigotry. I never said that he wouldn't win because of it, in fact I think the more you pander to this fringe, the better off you are electorally. And it's a pretty damn sad social statement.

colbert is my hero.

that was fucking hilarious. I can't believe they even let him speak. I don't know what the hell they were thinking, but that was brilliant.

nbcrusader said:

The idea was good, but the execution dragged on too long. After a while, the fumbling for keys thing gets old.

except that this administration
has been running, and running away from her for years

Now here was Helen Thomas, in 2004, resurrecting a rumor that could have derailed Bush’s 2000 presidential campaign had the press been paying attention.

"Q: Did the President ever have to take time off from Guard duty to do community service?

Scott McClellan: To do community service? I haven't looked into everything he did 30 years ago, Helen. Obviously, there is different community service he has performed in the past, including going back to that time period --

Q: Can you find out if he actually had --

Scott McClellan: Helen, I don't think we remember every single activity he was involved in 30 years ago.

Q: No, this isn't an activity. Was he forced to do community service at any time while he was on --

Scott McClellan: What's your interest in that question? I'm sorry, I just --

Q: Lots of rumors. I'm just trying to clear up something.

Scott McClellan: Rumors about what?

Q: Pardon?

Scott McClellan: Rumors about what?

Q: About the President having to do community service while he was in the National Guard, take time out for that.

Scott McClellan: I'm not aware of those rumors. But if you want to --

Q: Could you look it up? Would you mind asking him?

Scott McClellan: That's why I'm asking what's your interest in that? I just don't understand your interest in that.

Q: It's what everybody is interested in, whether we're getting the true story on his Guard duty.

Scott McClellan: Well, you have the documents that show the facts.

Q: I'm asking you to try to find out from the President of the United States.

Scott McClellan: Like I said, it's well known the different jobs he had and what he was doing previously, that we know. That goes back to --

Q: I didn't say ‘previously.’ I said, while he was on Guard duty.

Scott McClellan: But you're asking me about 30 years ago. I don't think there's a recollection of everything he was doing 30 years ago.

Q: Well, he would know if he had to take time out. . . ."

. . . and so on, for fifteen minutes.

anitram said:
STING are you so naive to believe that McCain will win if all the right wing wacko fundamentalists stay home and sit on their hands on voting day?

He will pander to that base and if that means going to racist universities and lambasting homosexuals for every evil in our society, then he will do it. To me, that's bigotry. I never said that he wouldn't win because of it, in fact I think the more you pander to this fringe, the better off you are electorally. And it's a pretty damn sad social statement.

Are you so naive to believe that the party's base will sit at home and let a Democrat walk into the office just because they disagree with McCain on a few issues? Talking to people and finding common ground is not bigotry.

I look forward to the laughable smear compaign against John McCain. It will only backfire.

STING2 said:

Are you so naive to believe that the party's base will sit at home and let a Democrat walk into the office just because they disagree with McCain on a few issues?

They've already started making such claims...

STING2 said:

I look forward to the laughable smear compaign against John McCain. It will only backfire.

Like the one Bush did to McCain?:huh:

STING2 said:

Are you so naive to believe that the party's base will sit at home and let a Democrat walk into the office just because they disagree with McCain on a few issues? Talking to people and finding common ground is not bigotry.

What's truly laughable (in a depressing sort of way) is how the slightest criticism from "the left" these days constitutes a smear campaign. And as BVS pointed out, no one does a smear campaign better than the Republicans. :)

Look, talking to people and finding common ground is one thing. Giving a speech at their university lends the university and it's cause credibility (that's why you don't see many politicians willing to speak at KKK rallies...). If it was Bill Frist or Rick Santorum going down there it wouldn't be a big deal. But McCain had not too long ago said that we should not be pandering to either extreme, and yet here he is courting one of them. Unless McCain were to pull a surprise and show some backbone again and criticize some of the university's more dubious stances, then he is tacitly okaying what Bob Jones University stands for, and that is what some of us have an issue with.

Personally, I'm hoping he doesn't leave without making it clear he doesn't approve of some of their teachings, but I'm not holding my breath.

Just watched the 60 Minutes segment with Ed Bradley.
Stephen Colbert is truly an incredible talent, and his intelligence never ceases to amaze me.
Not to mention he's frigging funny beyond words.
I always look forward to seeing his show, when I can.

Diemen said:

But McCain had not too long ago said that we should not be pandering to either extreme, and yet here he is courting one of them. Unless McCain were to pull a surprise and show some backbone again and criticize some of the university's more dubious stances, then he is tacitly okaying what Bob Jones University stands for, and that is what some of us have an issue with.

Personally, I'm hoping he doesn't leave without making it clear he doesn't approve of some of their teachings, but I'm not holding my breath.

I know there are some things politicians have to do to get elected, but this is going too far.
I can't help but feel if he's willing to do this then he is pandering to a group of peole that I don't want to have any role in making desicions concerning my country.
For the first time I have begun to question his integerity.

Diemen said:
Unless McCain were to pull a surprise and show some backbone again and criticize some of the university's more dubious stances, then he is tacitly okaying what Bob Jones University stands for, and that is what some of us have an issue with.

Therein lies another issue for the Democrats to properly analyze. Many say "Bob Jones" and immediately think "extremist". But, does " Bob Jones" evoke the same response by the general public?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

They've already started making such claims...

Like the one Bush did to McCain?:huh:

Sure, they are going to stay home because John McCain is a Christian who is pro-life. Lets stay home and let a pro-choice Democrat take over the White House.

Bush won because the party base for funding had already lined up around Bush. Despite that, McCain came a lot closer to pulling off a win than many people realize.

Here in FYM, McCain beat Hillary Clinton in the last poll that we did. You don't get much farther to the left than this place, yet McCain won.

But hey, if you really think McCain is not going to win, who is this Democrat that is going to defeat him?

If all the Democrats are going to do for 2008 is rely on smear columns and hope that certain people won't come out to vote, they will never win another election.

STING2 said:

Sure, they are going to stay home because John McCain is a Christian who is pro-life. Lets stay home and let a pro-choice Democrat take over the White House.

I didn't say they were staying home, they have.
STING2 said:

Bush won because the party base for funding had already lined up around Bush. Despite that, McCain came a lot closer to pulling off a win than many people realize.

You keep telling yourself, Bush didn't smear him.
STING2 said:

Here in FYM, McCain beat Hillary Clinton in the last poll that we did. You don't get much farther to the left than this place, yet McCain won.

You don't get out much if you think you can't get much further left than this...:huh:
STING2 said:

But hey, if you really think McCain is not going to win, who is this Democrat that is going to defeat him?

If all the Democrats are going to do for 2008 is rely on smear columns and hope that certain people won't come out to vote, they will never win another election.

:lol: You're almost as good as twisting words as your pal Bush.

I never said I'm convinced he isn't going to win, neither did I say all the Dems have to do is rely on the fundies not coming out...

I just don't think it's in the bag like you do.

Diemen said:

What's truly laughable (in a depressing sort of way) is how the slightest criticism from "the left" these days constitutes a smear campaign. And as BVS pointed out, no one does a smear campaign better than the Republicans. :)

Look, talking to people and finding common ground is one thing. Giving a speech at their university lends the university and it's cause credibility (that's why you don't see many politicians willing to speak at KKK rallies...). If it was Bill Frist or Rick Santorum going down there it wouldn't be a big deal. But McCain had not too long ago said that we should not be pandering to either extreme, and yet here he is courting one of them. Unless McCain were to pull a surprise and show some backbone again and criticize some of the university's more dubious stances, then he is tacitly okaying what Bob Jones University stands for, and that is what some of us have an issue with.

No, Democrats want people to believe that John McCain's speaking at the University automatically means that he supports their views on certain issues. He does not, everyone knows that. Democrats want him though to say things that would hopefully alienate a certain block of voters. Their not so concerned about the views of Bob Jones University rather they hope that they can score some political points since their party has not been able to win anything in years, and does not have a candidate that can compete with McCain.

STING2 said:

No, Democrats want people to believe that John McCain's speaking at the University automatically means that he supports their views on certain issues. He does not, everyone knows that.

And now everyone knows that he also comes cheap.

Your support of the Republicans is second only to the smugness with which you discuss any and all future elections, STING. It's highly conducive to having a dialogue here. :|

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I didn't say they were staying home, they have.

You keep telling yourself, Bush didn't smear him.

You don't get out much if you think you can't get much further left than this...:huh:

:lol: You're almost as good as twisting words as your pal Bush.

I never said I'm convinced he isn't going to win, neither did I say all the Dems have to do is rely on the fundies not coming out...

I just don't think it's in the bag like you do.

Well, the election has not happened yet, so you can't claim that anyone has stayed home because John McCain was the Republican's nominee.

As far as how far left this place is, consider the fact that in the polling done in here for the 2004 election, Bush scored worse in here than he did in Massachusetts.

anitram said:

And now everyone knows that he also comes cheap.

Your support of the Republicans is second only to the smugness with which you discuss any and all future elections, STING. It's highly conducive to having a dialogue here. :|

The important issues of 2008 are not going to be that John McCain spoke to this or that person on the campaign trail. Foreign Policy, The War, the Economy, Trade, these are some of the big issues that will dominate 2008. The fact that some Democrats would rather talk about a visit to a University shows the weakness of the party.

namkcuR said:
Do people really think McCain would beat out Gulliani for the nomination so easily?

McCain is pro-life.

Gulliani is pro-choice.

sue4u2 said:

I know there are some things politicians have to do to get elected, but this is going too far.
I can't help but feel if he's willing to do this then he is pandering to a group of peole that I don't want to have any role in making desicions concerning my country.
For the first time I have begun to question his integerity.

Instead of focusing on this one thing, take a look at John McCain's entire life especially his experience in Vietnam as a prisoner for several years.

STING2 said:

Well, the election has not happened yet, so you can't claim that anyone has stayed home because John McCain was the Republican's nominee.

Wow you really have a hard reading don't you...

I haven't claimed shit, actually you are the one acting like the election has happened, I'm just reporting what some have already said. Just the messanger dude.

STING2 said:

As far as how far left this place is, consider the fact that in the polling done in here for the 2004 election, Bush scored worse in here than he did in Massachusetts.

Still doesn't mean shit, compared to the rest of the internet...

For the record, I actually like McCain and think he would make a good president, all in all. Immensely better than Bush, that's for sure. But my respect for him has lessened considerably ever since he became Bush's puppet in '04.

STING2 said:

No, Democrats want people to believe that John McCain's speaking at the University automatically means that he supports their views on certain issues. He does not, everyone knows that. Democrats want him though to say things that would hopefully alienate a certain block of voters. Their not so concerned about the views of Bob Jones University rather they hope that they can score some political points since their party has not been able to win anything in years, and does not have a candidate that can compete with McCain.

Maybe partisan hacks who are so politically blinded they only see along party lines want McCain to say things just so he'll alienate viewers and lose the election. The rest of us normal people want him to say things because it'd be the right thing to do, and because deep down inside many if not most "liberals" have a lot of respect (waning though it may be in recent years) for McCain and don't want him catering to the kinds of extremists he himself said Republicans and all politicians shouldn't be catering to.

Interesting how the news keeps playing the bit with the look-a-like. I've seen very little coverage (CNN, MSNBC, etc.) on Colbert.

nbcrusader said:
Interesting how the news keeps playing the bit with the look-a-like. I've seen very little coverage (CNN, MSNBC, etc.) on Colbert.

I keep thinking the same thing. Not one news segment I've seen has shown Colbert at all.

I saw it happen live and thought it was great. I am really surprised they let him in. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom