Coalition forces hit a market in Baghdad - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2003, 01:40 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:25 PM
Normal Coalition forces hit a market in Baghdad

Several TVs report that in their teletext, including CNN.

Victim number anywhere from 12 to 50, depending which TV's teletext you watch.

Also, on several TV's teletext, they apparently also hit an economic district there, again with several civilian dead.

British said there was an uprising in Basra, right? Yet the only TV that actually has its reporters there, Al Dhazeera, claims there are no signs of an uprising.

Who's lying?

Old 03-26-2003, 01:46 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:25 PM
This report is on my ISP's home page. But so was a claim, apparently not true, that there was a major "victory" near Baghdad last night. Also they blew up the report about Basra. The British military today admitted that they were confused about what was going on there. An Iraqi anti-Baath party official in Tehran said that there had been a demonstration in Basra but not a revolt. This is why I'm trying to find independent sources for war news, if indeed there is any.

Old 03-26-2003, 01:50 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:25 AM
At this point, all I think we can conclude was that there was an explosion at a market in Baghdad. There is no confirmation that this was a coalition strike. It could very well be done by Iraqi operatives.
Old 03-26-2003, 02:03 PM   #4
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:25 AM
al jazera is about as believable on arab issues as bill clinton is on his sex life
Old 03-26-2003, 03:04 PM   #5
The Fly

Local Time: 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
At this point, all I think we can conclude was that there was an explosion at a market in Baghdad. There is no confirmation that this was a coalition strike.
It could very well be done by Iraqi operatives.
There will be no confirmation it was a coalition strike, I am sure.
I understand that you in the US do not get all the reports from Baghdad. All Russian TV channels (5 TV channels in Baghdad) showed the bombed out market today. They report some 50 civilians were injured. They say coalition bombs Baghdad uniterruptedly: maximum break between bombardments is 2 - 2.5 hours.
Of course, those bombardments could very well be done by Iraqi operatives.
Old 03-26-2003, 03:10 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Al-Jazeera is out of Qatar, the nation where our Central Command is located. The king of Qatar is responsible for modernizing the nation, and, in all actuality, it wouldn't be surprising if he made Qatar a democracy upon his retirement or death.

I wouldn't dismiss Al-Jazeera because it is out of the Middle East. In fact, it is quite disappointing that Al-Jazeera was thrown out of the NYSE. We should be encouraging freedom of press in the Middle East--and Al-Jazeera is a rarity in that respect. Of course, as is always the case, "freedom of the press" is not important; only pro-U.S. press.

Melon
Old 03-26-2003, 04:57 PM   #7
The Fly

Fox news was tonight slagging off Al-Jazeera as being too biased on the Iraq side, Is that the pot calling the kettle black, I have never seen a news programme so one sided during a conflict as FOX news.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:45 PM   #8
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
At this point, all I think we can conclude was that there was an explosion at a market in Baghdad. There is no confirmation that this was a coalition strike. It could very well be done by Iraqi operatives.
This morning on NBC news Peter Arnett in Bagdad reported that the strike was a coalition strike and showed footage of the area.
He has a long experience of war reporting and was one of hte last out in Gulf 1.
Old 03-26-2003, 07:27 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Peter Arnett is only reporting what the Iraqi's are saying. He probably received a nice press release from the Iraqi Minister of Information.

MSNBC Report

Apparently, the Iraqi's are claiming we used cluster bombs in the civilian area. This from the government that uses hospitals as forward firing bases......
Old 03-26-2003, 08:45 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Interesting....on the PBS news this evening, the reporters that were interviewed on the phone said that in their opinion having looked at the bombing in Baghdad for a week this DID not look like anything from a bomb or a tomahawk.

General Clark also made a comment on MSNBC that many times civilians are killed by friend Anti-Acraft than by enemy strikes.

The Fact is, over 5,000 missions it is likely something bad might happen. However, the Pentagon was pretty firm about not having anything in the area.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:43 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

There are probably many injuries in Baghdad due to anti-aircraft fire. In Southern California there have been a few deaths from falling bullets shot into the air to "celebrate" New Years. Given the quantity of larger caliber ammunition shot by the Iraqis over Baghdad, all those bullets/shells must fall some where.
Old 03-26-2003, 10:59 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I also heard similar reports on PBS (the most liberal reports around) - They say that the explosion does not look like it came from the a tomahawk strike.

Oh, and I can see how the Iraqi military would be all shaken up by civilian casualties. They use women and children as human shields, shoot anyone who wants to surrender, and use hospitals and mosks as military hideouts.

the thought that this could be done by Iraqi military as propaganda is completely out of the question.

I think this happened around the same time that Coalition forces were handing out food and water in Southern Iraq and the Iraqi Minister of Information said that the Coalition is blocking food and water from getting into the country.
Old 03-26-2003, 11:14 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by womanfish
I also heard similar reports on PBS (the most liberal reports around) - .
Is this what you meant to say?
Old 03-27-2003, 01:58 AM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:25 AM
I think Ms Womanfish made her point w/o having to hairsplit her syntax or sentence structure

diamond
bruno.
Old 03-27-2003, 06:51 AM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:55 PM
of course, the Pentegon is not going to confirm it was them even if it was an accident. It would be the worse blow to the us yet.

as it is...even if this is iraqi doing, the US will have all but lost the support of any iraqi civilian in baghdad