Coach paid kid to hurt disabled teammate! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2005, 09:59 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways

Well said.
Reading this made me very sad.
Reading it made me wanna pound the crap out of the coach.

Old 08-06-2005, 02:13 AM   #17
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 09:50 AM
I understand that some people are just so competitve that they would do anything to win, but take it somewhere else.

Do you think in 15 years the fact that little keith knocked this disabled boy out so they would win a game is going to get him the promotion at work and a pretty wife and good kids and blah blah blah? *rolls eyes*

I'm sorry, but a game is a game, win or lose its about having fun, and where people are pressured to win the fun goes out of it and the loss is felt even more because they can't even say 'oh it was fun anyway!'

Reese's father, Keith Reese Sr., said he thought something was wrong. "I told my wife I don't know why Keith's warming up with Harry because Harry can't even catch the ball and Keith's very good. <---- haha i love that. I love how Keith's dad had to get into official court documents that Keith is VERY good and therefore why would he ever go near the diabled boy for training? he's outta his league!!

I noticed they have the same name. You know that people call their kids the same name as them so when they push and push their kids to do good and the kids name is in the paper or something the dad can sit back and pretend it was him cause hes a middle aged has been who didn't get those chances his poor kids have suffered through this day and age.

wow...didnt realise this story affected me this much

Old 08-06-2005, 06:35 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by dazzlingamy
I noticed they have the same name. You know that people call their kids the same name as them so when they push and push their kids to do good and the kids name is in the paper or something the dad can sit back and pretend it was him cause hes a middle aged has been who didn't get those chances his poor kids have suffered through this day and age.
*Nods* That's exactly what it is a lot of the time with anything, be it sports or music or some other thing...the parents are trying to achieve failed dreams through their children. Never mind the fact that their dream may not be their child's dream, never mind the fact that the kid should be the one getting the credit, since they are the one who did the actual work involved, never mind any of that sort of thing...all the parent cares about is trying again at a missed opportunity. In which case, I say to said parent(s): Let. It. Go. I'm sorry you missed your chance, but it's time to move on now. Besides that, by wallowing in the past, you're missing out on opportunities to try new things that may interest you, to achieve new dreams.

Angela
Old 08-06-2005, 06:54 AM   #19
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:50 PM
I look at any accusation made by a child with caution. If this did happen, it is disgusting and the coach should be punished. However, the child committed the acts and in my opinion was old enough to know better. If the coach told him to jump off a bridge would he have done that as well? Also, the boy went back and asked the coach for the money. Again, if this did happen, it is wrong and ALL involved should be punished.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:13 AM   #20
Refugee
Note: Troll-like

Location: The Morning After. Ranking: Troll of Interference. Interference Hotness Level: 3rd. Sex: Yes please.
Local Time: 05:50 AM
The reason I don't like rubbish people trying to punch above their weight in sports I play is because I am in Australia and don't encounter this culture of children being lived through by their parents. Therefore all people who play sport here do it by choice, on the whole, and it is unfair on a team's enjoyment when someone shit brings a team down.

Its not about wanting to win, its about wanting to pass the ball to or rely on a team mate only to be CONTINUALLY let down.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:46 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Palace_Hero
The reason I don't like rubbish people trying to punch above their weight in sports I play is because I am in Australia and don't encounter this culture of children being lived through by their parents. Therefore all people who play sport here do it by choice, on the whole, and it is unfair on a team's enjoyment when someone shit brings a team down.

Its not about wanting to win, its about wanting to pass the ball to or rely on a team mate only to be CONTINUALLY let down.
"Rubbish People" ? What the FUCK?

This attitude is why I generally despise team sports and those who play them.

You do realise you could very easily be a "rubbish" person just by slipping in your bathtub and banging your head a bit too hard, don't you? I wouldn't be so mean as to actually wish it on you, but damn I do wish you (and those with similar views) could live with a disability that would make you what you consider a "rubbish" person for, oh a yaer or so. Perhaps you wouldn't be so callous over what is only a stupid childhood game.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:47 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:50 PM
Quote:
What about the enjoyment of the "rubbish people" you refer to? (And can we please note that the child who was the victim of this attack isn't "rubbish" but has a disability.) Don't children with disabilities have just as much right as anyone else to participate in sports? Why should their enjoyment be sacrificed to ensure that other people's enjoyment is maximised?

I used to compete in gymnastics when I was younger. Sure it was frustrating when our team was 'let down' by someone having a bad day or by someone who was just not quite as good as other people on the team. But the way to deal with that is to ENCOURAGE your team-mates, reassure them that just because they had one bad day it doesn't mean they're not talented, offer to help them work on skills they find difficult, find ways to help them improve. Bullying them or intimidating them in order to stop them from participating in a sport they love is not the way to respond. It used to make me furious to see our coach screaming at girls and telling them they were "letting the team down" because they weren't trying hard enough or they couldn't master particularly difficult skills. Argh, there's so much more I want to say about this, but it's really not that relevant to the original topic.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:55 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:50 PM
Quote:

If you actually got to know anyone with a disability, you would realize that inclusion in common activities, such as sports, is beneficial to ALL who participate.

Your comments reek of elitism and are not welcome here.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:03 AM   #24
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:50 PM
Quote:

They're fucking 8 years old.

I'm thinking from some of the comments in here, some of you are forgetting what it was like when you were 8 years old.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:18 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

"rubbish people" ? That's extremely inappropriate
Old 08-09-2005, 08:27 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
The reason I don't like rubbish people trying to punch above their weight in sports
Who are you calling "rubbish people"? Any one who tries to play a sport they're not good at, or just mentally disabled people?

If that's your term for "mentally disabled" people, nothing makes me madder than people using derogatory terms toward mentally disabled people. My nephew has Cerebral Palsy, and he's anything but "rubbish".

If it's aimed toward anyone who tries to play at sports, you're misguided. In an adult league, that attitude of yours might be a little uit more acceptable. But we're talking about a children's league here, where the main goal shouldn't be winning, but getting kids involved in fun activitiy, teaching then the value of teamwork, and all that good stuff.

If all you're interested in is winning, go buy a sports video game and play on the easiest level.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:41 PM   #27
Refugee

Local Time: 10:50 PM
Screw winning, the best part about sports is that everyone participates, and that everyone has a smile and are enjoying themselves. I would find much more satisfaction seeing a mentally disabled person smiling and having a good time, then winning.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:43 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by macphisto23
Screw winning, the best part about sports is that everyone participates, and that everyone has a smile and are enjoying themselves. I would find much more satisfaction seeing a mentally disabled person smiling and having a good time, then winning.
Ditto.