CNN's role in conveying American ideals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kobayashi

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
(CNN) -- If you went to a baseball game tonight and looked around, and say, half the stadium was filled, you would see about 25,000 other fans. If you were living in Israel, it is likely that one of you would be killed in a terrorist attack in the next six months.

that statement appears at the top of this CNN article. i find it troubling that in the united states, such recent victims of horrific terror, one of the leading media organizations feels the need to draw a parallel with just one of the states who share similar grief at the hands of terrorists. said state just happens to be a major ally of the u.s.

the article goes on to chronicle the 'victims of terror' from the last two years, all of whom are drawn from plo(or presumably associated groups) attacks on israel.

i personally think it is irresponsible and ignorant to make such an isolated statement.

any thoughts?

kobayashi said:

the article goes on to chronicle the 'victims of terror' from the last two years, all of whom are drawn from plo(or presumably associated groups) attacks on israel.

i personally think it is irresponsible and ignorant to make such an isolated statement.

any thoughts?

First off.. CNN and 'American Ideals' never even belong in the same Sentence.

And to go into your point.. What is wrong?.. A parallel between American Victims of Terrorism.. and Israeli victims of Terrorism?.. Again, I guess.. (As in your Africa Capitalism Thread).. We're supposed to assume that the Palestinians who are killed in these raids by the Israeli's are victims of Israeli Terrorism.. Which is insulting to our intelligence to ask us to assume that.

Who was it recently that said Israel and Palestianians are 'TerrorizinG' each other.. Oh.. It was Ted Turner....

Think what you want. It was not irresponsible in the way you're provoking.. However I could see it being incomparable to the Israeli's as they have been dealing with Terrorism practically for their existence, and we've had this 'One Big One'.. still.. only a difference on technicality.. The underlying emotion, and sentiments are still there..

Or If I'm missing the boat completely and another tack to take on this quote.. It's probably damn close to the truth.. but maybe it'd be like 3 out of the 25,000 would be killed in a terrorist attack in the next six months..

L.Unplugged

it's ignorant. there's lots of other terrorism that involves the U.S.(on the other end) and lots that doesn't.

to isolate israel and say these are our brothers is an irresponsible move.

CNN is seen by many around the world as the american 'front' of sorts. it is purveyor of all that is american, that is what i meant by american ideals.

Just from reading the short excerpt, I would say that it's more a case of trying to use an example to convey a point of statistics to your primary audience. It doesn't look much like a parallel being drawn in terms of "brotherhood" but more of trying to give people a mental picture that they can recreate of the number of people who die in terrorism attacks in a specific country, this being Israel. (I haven't read the article in question, merely the highlight in your post...so I may be speaking in total ignorance.)

Now as for CNN being "American", I'm sure it is. I think that's kind of a given; it's owned by an American, has its headquarters in America and is staffed by many Americans. So as much as they would like to be unbiased, it's going to be hard to do so. Expecting for them not to be so or being surprised if their coverage is directed towards a mostly American audience is probably going to frustrate you more than its worth under the circumstances.

In a related question...is the BBC biased towards UK viewpoints?

i saw that article this morning. last week israel was threatening to remove cnn from their line-up and replace it (i think with fox news) because they said that cnn was pro-palestine and was ignoring israeli victims. the first thing i thought when i saw cnn.com this morning was that they were sucking up in a big way.

here's an article from earlier today:

Read Me.

Re: Re: CNN's role in conveying American ideals

Lemonite said:

First off.. CNN and 'American Ideals' never even belong in the same Sentence.

call the presses! i...i AGREE WITH LEMONITE!!! crowd: *gasp*

yeah well, i think it's something that is pretty obvious to all.

no, CNN doesn't really deserve much credit. all-day news channels are so crappy. i mean, there is so much to report on that they just don't touch an so little to say about the crap they DO "report" on.

Back
Top Bottom