CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll - Only 13% Blame Bush - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2005, 10:08 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 09:00 PM
CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll - Only 13% Blame Bush

A CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll of 609 adults taken September 5-6 shows:

Blame Game -- 13% said George W. Bush is "most responsible for the problems in New Orleans after the hurricane"; 18% said "federal agencies"; 25% said "state and local officials"; 38% said "no one is to blame"; 6% had no opinion. -- 29% said that "top officials in the federal agencies responsible for handling emergencies should be fired"; 63% said they should not; 8% had no opinion.

MORE

Government Performance -- 10% said George W. Bush has done a "great" job in "responding to the hurricane and subsequent flooding"; 25% said "good"; 21% said "neither good nor bad"; 18% said "bad"; 24% said "terrible"; 2% had no opinion. -- 8% said federal government agencies responsible for handling emergencies have done a "great" job in "responding to the hurricane and subsequent flooding"; 27% said "good"; 20% said "neither good nor bad"; 20% said "bad"; 22% said "terrible"; 3% had no opinion. -- 7% said state and local officials in Louisiana have done a "great" job in "responding to the hurricane and subsequent flooding"; 30% said "good"; 23% said "neither good nor bad"; 20% said "bad"; 15% said "terrible"; 5% had no opinion.

Old 09-07-2005, 10:18 AM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 05:00 AM
Despite the barrage of liberal bashing against Bush for his supposed mishandling of the Katrina crisis, the American public understands that he isn't to blame.

Yet another illustration of the growing disconnect between the Democratic Party and mainstream America.

Old 09-07-2005, 10:26 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by MaxFisher
Yet another illustration of the growing disconnect between the Democratic Party and mainstream America.
Criticisim of Bush has come from many directions, not only from the Democrats.

In any case, I find the headline given to this poll to be quite misleading. 42% of people described Bush's handling of events as either "terrible" or "bad" with only 35% decribing it as "great" or "good" -- more people disapprove of his handling of events than approve of it.

In contrast, 37% felt local officials response was "great" or "good" with 35% rating it "bad" or "terrible." In other words -- their evaluation of local officials response is more favourable than their evaluation of Bush's response.

Certainly not an overwhelmingly positive poll for the President.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:28 AM   #4
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:00 PM
If Clinton had been in charge during this disaster and we had the same results, you can bet your sweet ass people (including liberals) would still be demanding answers.

Much of the anger out there right now is NOT about Bush bashing.

And PUH-LEEZE, this was a poll of 609 freaking people. How is that anyway representative of freaking ANYTHING?
Old 09-07-2005, 10:29 AM   #5
War Child

Local Time: 12:00 AM
Yes - obviously we are dealing with the American intellect here when in the same poll 38% says there is "no one to blame".
Old 09-07-2005, 10:32 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:00 AM
Tell me how its bushes fault if the government told New Orleans that they were on their own for the first 48 hours after a disaster?
Old 09-07-2005, 10:39 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:00 AM
hahaha a poll

will surely help the dead people still floating in water
Old 09-07-2005, 10:40 AM   #8
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by u2bonogirl
Tell me how its bushes fault if the government told New Orleans that they were on their own for the first 48 hours after a disaster?

To liberals it doesn't really matter how it could be Bush's fault. He's to blame by default.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:40 AM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem

And PUH-LEEZE, this was a poll of 609 freaking people. How is that anyway representative of freaking ANYTHING?

This is why I generally ignore polls. A majority of them don't poll enough people to make the results legitimate, if that makes any sense.

And while I'm as big a Clinton lover as the next person , I'd be just as angry with his administration if this had been handled the same way on his watch.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:41 AM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by u2bonogirl
I'm not sure what it is you're asking.

Do you mean that Bush can't be held responsible because the initial response was supposedly the responsibility of local government? In which case I would point out that firstly it shouldn't have been left to local government, and secondly even if it was left to local government for 48 hours, the response continued to be utterly inadequate long after that.

Or do you mean that Bush shouldn't be held responsible for decisions made by the government? In which case...well, the answer is obvious, isn't it?

Actually if you look at this thread or this one or even this one your questions will be answered in more detail.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:44 AM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
To liberals it doesn't really matter how it could be Bush's fault. He's to blame by default.
Bush has received plenty of criticism from politicians who are anything but "liberals."

And if you look at the threads I recommended to u2bonogirl then you'll see that there are plenty of reasons for people calling into question Bush's handling of the relief effort.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:44 AM   #12
Refugee

These are awfully strange categories for a poll. How can you say "niether bad nor good"? How can you NOT have an opinion at this point? How can you have a category that says "no one is to blame"? I'm sure everyone blames SOMEONE.

Wow. When he said "war", he means war. The first step is brainwashing us and telling us what to think. I am quite sure he is using every means at his disposal. A few weeks of these polls, we'll forget we were ever outraged at all. One thing I will never forget to my dying day is that day after day, month after month, is that for perhaps the first time ever, during Monicagate, there were NO public opinion polls.

And you'll notice that it's all about blaming Bush. It's not "who is to balme"? But aobut Bush. The first step: deflect attention away from him. By creating this incredulous category of "no blame", we'llonly see the locals get the most blame.

How did they choose the 609 adults? I wonder.

Where are the calls for a Comission now?
Old 09-07-2005, 10:46 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

I would day I'm more moderate than liberal, I don't say Bush is to blame by default for anything. But what was that sign on Harry Truman's desk, something about the buck stops here...

Just for me personally, if I'm not questioning if my representatives and President (regardless of political affiliation) aren't doing their jobs properly I'm not doing my duty as a voting citizen and member of a democracy.

Someone will take the fall for this, my guess would be the FEMA guy. It will become a political necessity.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:49 AM   #14
War Child

Quote:

I'll let the ignorance of this comment fall under its own weight.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:49 AM   #15
War Child

So are you saying some tricky Bush agents infiltrated the CNN/USA Today offices and secretly created the "no blame" category?

I am sure the mathematicians who work for CNN and USA Today know what they are doing. But why depend on sound mathematics and statistical analysis when undeducated knee jerk reactions are so much easier?