CNN Reports: Bush 'related to Churchill, Diana' - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2002, 12:39 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:57 AM
CNN Reports: Bush 'related to Churchill, Diana'

http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/europe....ap/index.html

Bush 'related to Churchill, Diana'
September 18, 2002 Posted: 11:17 AM EDT (1517 GMT)

Bush is known to be an admirer of Winston Churchill

LONDON, England (AP) -- Princess Diana, Winston Churchill and George W. Bush are distant relatives whose ancestry can be traced back to a 15th century English squire, genealogists say.

Researchers for the U.S.-based company MyFamily.com found that the trio's roots can be traced to Henry Spencer of Badby, Northamptonshire.

Badby lived between 1420-1478 and was married to Isabella Lincoln.

According to a family tree published on the company's Web site, one of their two sons, William, founded the line that would produce Churchill and Diana, Princess of Wales, whose maiden name was Spencer.

The daughter of the other son, John, married Sir William Cope and the descendants of this line settled in the New World.

They included Anne Marbury, who moved from Lincolnshire, England to Massachusetts during the 1600s.

A direct descendent, Harriet Fay, married James Bush, the great-great grandfather of the current president, said the company, which has a license to publish British census records from 1841 to 1901 on the Internet.

Bush is known to be an admirer of Churchill and keeps in the Oval Office a bronze bust of the British leader -- a loan from Prime Minister Tony Blair.

When he received the bust in July 2001, Bush joked that he hoped to develop a personal relationship with the late wartime premier.

"I look forward to visiting with him," Bush said.

"Sometimes he'll talk back and sometimes he won't, depending on the stresses of the moment."

A spokeswoman for MyFamily.com said the discovery was made only recently, and further research was ongoing to find out more about Henry Spencer.

Bush's apparent royal connections have been revealed before.

According to Gary Boyd Roberts, a genealogist at the New England Historic Genealogical Society in Boston, Bush is descended from British royalty going as far back as 12th century King Henry I, the son of William the Conqueror.

Copyright 2002 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed

Old 09-18-2002, 02:33 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:57 AM
Genealogy is incredible. I've been amazed by my very own genealogy. Some great sites to start your own genealogy research are www.genealogy.com and www.ancestry.com . Together they have the 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1900, and 1920 census's indexed by name. They are finishing indexing the other census's and have the images you can look at if you know where your ancestor lived on a particular census that is not yet indexed. Census are a great source of info for genealogy and the place to start.

Old 09-18-2002, 03:24 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: CNN Reports: Bush 'related to Churchill, Diana'

Quote:
Originally posted by HelloAngel
LONDON, England (AP) -- Princess Diana, Winston Churchill and George W. Bush are distant relatives whose ancestry can be traced back to a 15th century English squire, genealogists say.

I honestly don't know who I feel most sorry for.

But imagine the English squire getting brought back from the dead and seeing what he unleashed on the world.

(NB: I'm kidding. It's a fun thread, don't take my comments seriously.)
Old 09-18-2002, 08:33 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:57 AM
Re: Re: CNN Reports: Bush 'related to Churchill, Diana'

Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees

I honestly don't know who I feel most sorry for.

But imagine the English squire getting brought back from the dead and seeing what he unleashed on the world.

(NB: I'm kidding. It's a fun thread, don't take my comments seriously.)

Don't worry I don't take your comments seriously!!!!!

I AM KIDDING You have a very kind heart!!!!!!

I swear....I am teasing you

Peace to all
Old 09-19-2002, 08:19 AM   #5
The Fly

omg...seriously......actually i agree with the 'don't know who i feel more sorry for' thing!!!
Old 09-19-2002, 01:41 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

That is quite amusing, considering I can trace myself quite directly / indirectly into King Louis XVI and King Henry IV of France, and, due to the inbreeding nature of royalty, most of the rest of European nobility. Does that make Dubya one of my distant relatives?

Melon
Old 09-19-2002, 06:04 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

NO. Henry Spencer, the common link between Churchhill, Bush, and Princess Diana was not Royalty. The word squire in England is a title of respect given to a large rural landowner; country gentleman. If you go to ancestry.com they correctly show how everything is linked. W and Prince William are 18th cousins! Churchill is a 16th cousin twice removed to W and Prince William. George Bush I is the 17th cousin to Princess Diana. His son W is 17th cousin once removed to Princess Diana.

Can you really trace your roots back to King Louis the XVI? If so what your relationship to him? GGGGGGGGGREAT Grandfather or something like that?
Old 09-21-2002, 02:20 AM   #8
Jesus Online

Local Time: 09:57 PM
How weird is that!
I'm related to William the Conqueror, I dont know how directly...But I wonder if melon and I are related somewhere?
Old 09-21-2002, 05:03 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I'm always a bit skeptical when someone says their related to this person or that person from 800 years ago. People often generalize with names. What was done with the Bush, Prince William, Churchhill triangle was the use of vital records and census records to confirm the conection of each generation going back in order to finally connect all three.
Old 09-21-2002, 05:33 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:57 PM
So, what does this tell us?

Dont forget that your roots are in funky old Europe, Mister President.
Old 09-21-2002, 11:02 AM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
How weird is that!
I'm related to William the Conqueror, I dont know how directly...But I wonder if melon and I are related somewhere?
Nah, I think you're related with me! I'm Dutch (and William the Conqueror was Dutch), so we can be family.

Hi!

C ya!

Marty
Old 09-21-2002, 12:53 PM   #12
The Fly

Local Time: 04:57 AM

"I am the Lizard King. I can do anything."
Old 09-21-2002, 01:22 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by whammy
"I am the Lizard King. I can do anything."
while I step to the dark side of the moon like the piper at the gates of dawn
Old 09-22-2002, 01:34 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
Can you really trace your roots back to King Louis the XVI? If so what your relationship to him? GGGGGGGGGREAT Grandfather or something like that?
His first cousin founded my hometown in the late 1700s. My grandmother is one of his direct descendents.

And, yes, it is quite an entangled family tree. Truthfully, though, just think of the nature of procreation and just branch it out over hundreds of years. Quite frankly, probably a lot of us have "royal ties" if you dig far enough, but with some of us just having more direct ties than others. "Six degrees of separation," yes?

Melon
Old 09-22-2002, 03:59 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Ahhh, So the true link is actually Louis the XVI Grandparents. The question is which set of Grandparents, the ones on the throne or the other set which must have been nobility. What type of records do you have which connect the founder of the town as Louis XVI first cousin?

While people with common names like Smith and Wilson, may not have any relationship with each other no matter how far you go back, I have discovered that I'm that 75% of the people with my surname in the USA are in addition to my more immediated family, 2nd cousin's through 9th cousins to me. Of course the number is 4 times that at least of people who are part of this family but no longer carry the surname. The number of people that one has as a 20th cousin could well go past several hundred thousand, maybe even a million. If you go back far enough, were all cousins.