CNN: Burning Churches in Alabama - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2007, 11:58 PM   #46
Jesus Online

Local Time: 05:35 PM
What difference do you think a longer sentence would make?

Old 04-10-2007, 12:06 AM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:35 AM

It would have given them more time to regret what they did.

~U2Alabama

Old 04-10-2007, 12:31 AM   #48
Jesus Online

Local Time: 05:35 PM
I'm not quite seeing how that adds up. Do you mean it can't happen outside of prison? Is that something or the only thing you hope to see achieved from this? Is its' being in line with arson charges not of importance?
Old 04-10-2007, 09:16 AM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama
It would have given them more time to regret what they did.

~U2Alabama
I subscribe to the view that there's a point in time after which a prison sentence becomes counter productive, leads to more adaptation difficulties after release and subsequently could lead to more crime. Without trivialising what these people have done, I think 8 years in prison (you could probably put me in a straightjacket after 8 weeks) and this, combined with the fact that these people will probably be in debt for the rest of their lives, will ensure that they're going to regret what they did for a long time.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:49 AM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Cloyd and Moseley burned 9 years and have received 8-year prison sentences; DeBusk participated in 7 of the arsons and received a7-year sentence. Although the prosecutors are satisfied with the sentences as they are in line with guidelines, I think it's disappointing that it breaks down to less than a year per church for Cloyd and Moseley. The good news is that they still face state charges, for arson and burglary, but unfortunately they will not be charged with spotlighting deer (illegal), hunting and shooting deer at night in February (out of season in Alabama), and drunk driving.

These were not wealthy, suburban megachurches that the goons felt the need to destroy; they were simple, rural churches that, despite their simplicity, were welcome homes to their congregants. They destroyed them for their own personal, selfish thrills; not for food, survival or even for money, and they knew better. I'm not for sending them to prison to improve their well-being as much as I am for punishing them adequately.

~U2Alabama
Old 04-11-2007, 10:34 AM   #51
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Cloyd and Moseley burned 9 years and have received 8-year prison sentences; DeBusk participated in 7 of the arsons and received a7-year sentence. Although the prosecutors are satisfied with the sentences as they are in line with guidelines, I think it's disappointing that it breaks down to less than a year per church for Cloyd and Moseley. The good news is that they still face state charges, for arson and burglary, but unfortunately they will not be charged with spotlighting deer (illegal), hunting and shooting deer at night in February (out of season in Alabama), and drunk driving.

These were not wealthy, suburban megachurches that the goons felt the need to destroy; they were simple, rural churches that, despite their simplicity, were welcome homes to their congregants. They destroyed them for their own personal, selfish thrills; not for food, survival or even for money, and they knew better. I'm not for sending them to prison to improve their well-being as much as I am for punishing them adequately.

~U2Alabama
How is it different from burning a home?
Old 04-11-2007, 09:20 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Where did I say it was?

~U2Alabama
Old 04-12-2007, 11:26 AM   #53
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Where did I say it was?

~U2Alabama
Well you want the sentence to be more.

Do you want the sentence to change across the board or just for these fellows?
Old 04-12-2007, 11:21 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Where have I made any comparison between sentencing standards for church arsonists as opposed to house arsonists? I think they should both be harsh; while the destruction of a house may not harm as many people as the burning of a church, it definitely affects the resident(s) more severely than a church burning would affect its congregants, simply because the house is where the resident(s) eat, sleep and live. I will admit that I do not know the federal sentincing guildelines for arson, be it houses, churches, business, etc. But less than one year per church seems very light. If they had only burned one church, would they have only been sentenced to one year? That does not seem sufficient.

I did read where the minimum sentence for Cloyd and Moseley would have been 7 years, and it was this long because two firefighters were injured in their response to one of the fires. So when you think about it, they only got the minimum sentence plus one year; seems pretty light for what, 9 churches?

Also, the Bibb County plea hearing was today; their sentence for that case was 15 years but they will only have to serve 2 years. However, the additional 2 years will be served after the federal terms.

~U2Alabama