CNN: Burning Churches in Alabama - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2006, 02:24 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:07 PM
a joke?

AP

"An ATF affidavit said Moseley told agents on Wednesday that he, Cloyd and Debusk went to Bibb County in Cloyd's Toyota sport utility vehicle on Feb. 2 and set fire to five churches. A witness quoted Cloyd as saying Moseley did it "as a joke and it got out of hand," according to the affidavit.

Moseley also told agents the four church fires in west Alabama were set "as a diversion to throw investigators off," an attempt that "obviously did not work," the affidavit said.

The two students arrested Wednesday are white and their college is a Methodist-affiliated liberal arts college."

Old 03-08-2006, 02:28 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:07 PM
Funny sense of humor these two have.

My guess is that they will realize that the first rationalization didn't work, so they will make up another.

Old 03-08-2006, 05:20 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:07 PM
They have gotten the people who did this. I'm a bit sketchy on the information, but they are two college students who thought the whole thing was just plain fun. Some of the things people will do for fun are just plain sick if you ask me.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:56 PM   #34
ONE
love, blood, life

on these people.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:05 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Those boys look like they came from good middle class familes and should have known better. How pathetic.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:18 AM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MissVelvetDress_75
Those boys look like they came from good middle class familes
Those often are the scary ones.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:54 AM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

The boys will not be charged with hate crimes.

I guess if they consider it a joke, it cannot be hate.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:05 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

It's not hate. It's hard to understand why people would consider something like arson fun.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:11 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
It's not hate. It's hard to understand why people would consider something like arson fun.
But they targeted Christians. Can that not be hate?
Old 03-09-2006, 12:41 PM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Hm, I guess it could be considered hate because yes, they were targeting Christians. I know how I'd feel if they'd been targeting Catholic Churches and they had burned my church. We had a fire at our church in 2001 when the cross on top of the building got struck by lightning and we had to have a completely new building built, so I know the feeling of having something like this happen to your church. It wasn't hate, though, it was an "act of God".
Old 03-09-2006, 10:43 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:07 PM

Quote:

No, I guess it's not hate; it's just their particular denomination of Satanism.

Quote:
From THE BIRMINGHAM NEWS via www.al.com:

Friends said (DeBusk) and Ben Moseley were Satanists, which DeBusk told friends was "not about worshipping the devil, but about the pursuit of knowledge," according to Burgess...Burgess said he and DeBusk discussed religion loosely, debating whether pets go to heaven and what heaven looks like. "He told me I was one of the more intelligent Christians he's talked to," Burgess said. "Coming from a Satanist, I didn't know quite how to interpret that."

Ian Cunningham, a sophomore who lived in the same dorm as DeBusk, recalled returning from the campus chapel recently to snide remarks about being saved from DeBusk and Moseley. "He would constantly mock me," Cunningham said of DeBusk.

After he got a speeding ticket - 85 mph in a 70 zone - his Web site musings grew cryptically violent. In a posting to Moseley last summer as the two planned a road trip, he wrote, "Let us defy the very morals of society instilled upon us by our parents, our relatives and of course Jesus."
One of them was my wife's student when she taught 6th grade. All 3 of them have attended my collegiate alma mater.

~U2Alabama
Old 03-09-2006, 11:34 PM   #42
Jesus Online

Local Time: 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MissVelvetDress_75
Those boys look like they came from good middle class familes and should have known better. How pathetic.
What made you say this? Just curious.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:36 AM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:07 AM
Quote:

No, it cannot. It is not a hate crime if we oppose the principle of hate crime legislation in every form - not just when it's protecting minorities.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:15 AM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

If they're pyromaniacs they would be indiscriminate about what they set fire to, I would think. The Satanist thing would appear to fit the church pattern

people.com

As more is learned about the three young men charged with setting a string of fires to nine Baptist churches across Alabama, the more bewildered those people close to the suspects have become.

Two of the suspects, Benjamin Nathan Moseley and Russell Lee DeBusk Jr., both 19, are students at Birmingham-Southern College, while the third suspect, Matthew Lee Cloyd, 20, attends the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

Dr. David Pollick, president of Birmingham-Southern, said in a statement both men had been suspended and were barred from campus, the Associated Press reports. Pollick called the attacks "mindless cruelty."

"This is not Birmingham-Southern," Pollick said, WSFA-TV reports in Alabama. "It is not the character of the students who are here. It shocked me."

Fellow students appeared equally confused by the charges against the men, particularly Moseley and DeBusk, who were promising amateur actors and pranksters.

"In the theater, you're a very tight-knit community and they were a part of that community," said Birmingham-Southern student Martin Landry. "We were very good friends."

Moseley and DeBusk had both performed in campus plays as well as a documentary film. Their arrest came on the day when both were featured in the campus newspaper for their acting efforts.

Cloyd, the third suspect, was formerly a student at Birmingham-Southern but transferred last year to UAB.

Cloyd's father, a physician, told authorities that his son admitted to being present when the fires were set. "He knew who did it and he was there," Michael Cloyd said in an affidavit, AP reports.

The suspects, who are currently in jail, have been charged with conspiracy and setting fire to a single church, Ashby Baptist. Each charge carries a minimum sentence of five years, and more charges are possible.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:46 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:07 PM

The little goobs have been sentenced. Personally, I think their prison sentences are too short; I would ave doubled their terms. The miliaon-dolalr retributions are prbably the harshest part. Maybe the can get "The Illuminati" to raise funds for them.

Quote:
Judge begins handing down sentences for church burnings
Posted by Birmingham News staff April 09, 2007 15:34PM
A federal judge this afternoon began handing down prison sentences for three former college students who burned rural churches.

U.S. District Judge David Proctor sentenced Matthew Cloyd and Benjamin Moseley to eight years and one month in prison and ordered they pay a total of $3.1 million in restitution.

Russell DeBusk was sentenced to seven years and ordered to participate in the restitution.

All will get credit for serving one year in the Shelby County Jail.

The three pleaded guilty in December to conspiracy and arson charges in the fires set Feb. 2 and Feb. 7, 2006.

On Thursday, the three will appear in a closed hearing in Bibb County Circuit Court as they seek youthful offender status for state arson charges there. If granted, their case would be sealed and they would serve no more than three years in state prison.

They also face arson charges in Sumter, Greene and Pickens counties.

Val Walton

~U2Alabama