CNN and Fox News Made me MAD!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LoveTown

Refugee
Yesterday morning I very much wanted to watch the touching ceremony at Ground Zero where the parents and grandparents of victims were reading out the names of the people lost at the WTC on 9-11-01 but just after the families got into the B names Fox's anchor started yapping and you couldn't hear the names. So, I switched to CNN and was delighted to see that the names could still be heard. But then they cut away to some military lady singing the national anthem....grrrr so I switched to MSN and they cut away to show Rumsfeld speaking about the glories of our choice to go to war.

Shame on all the networks for not allowing the victims of that terrible day to be the focal point. Shame on Rumsfeld to use it as a moment to glorify a war that millions of Americans didn't support. Yesterday was supposed to be about all the innocent people who lost their lives. I wanted to hear each and every single name, to see the pictures of them put on the screen. I wanted to hear the bells over New York city marking the times of the two planes crashing into the towers and then the bells and silence marking when the towers fell.

I am so angry that the victims and their families were robbed of the dignity they deserve!

Last edited:
News keep coming in and that memorial was 3 hours long, if you are going to say that the MSM has a conservative bias I may be forced to laugh at you (in a kindhearted good way).

I'm not saying that at all and I'm not even really saying anything terribly partisan here. I'm saying the day should have been about those that died on the day and that is it.

Hey, I dont think that the victims shouldn't be remembered I just doubt that any mass media organization is willing to devote 3 hours straight airtime to remembering an event that has already happened - sad but true fact of this news as it comes, watch things blow up society.

yeah A_Wanderer it is sad. No worries, I wasn't blaming you...I know it's a sad fact of our society.

Hey is a tough one on forums, it can be a defensive Hey! :yell: or the more appropriate Hey :wink: , I was going for the second more easygoing hey - so in that spirit I give you a heartfelt :applaud: and spend more time musing over what is going on in N-Korea, as soon as the regime has it Seoul will not be far behind.

I went to a medieval re-enactment yesterday and we did something we normally don't do at these things. We mentioned a modern event, 9/11, and while in a gathering observed a moment of silence to remember the victims. Keep in mind modern topics are almost never discussed at these events so as to keep with the historical ambience. It was a moving sight, seeing everyone praying or just reflecting. I didn't see the TV thing, obviously, but I'm not surprised that a government official made a speech on TV to commemorate. I'm also not surprised that the whole thing was a bit tacky, they tend to do that to TV shows here.

LoveTown said:
I am so angry that the victims and their families were robbed of the dignity they deserve!

I don't think they were robbed of their diginity. The public's attention span would not cover a reading of the entire list. With each passing year, it will get worse. The next generation will get no more than a brief history lesson on the day.

Headache, I agree totally. We too often lump the whole event into what happened at the WTC, we forget about the people at the pentagon and the plane that crashed in Penn.

nbc, you are right about the attention span thing...and I find that to be sad.

and A_Wanderer...the whole Korea thing scares me to death!

This world is freaking me out!

I think it's hard because you had events going on in so many different places so quickly that morning. So you have to cover each one.

nbc-- I don't think you're right. Granted, I couldn't sit through the reading of all the names -- it got to be too much for me -- but all the local stations here in NYC showed the full ceremony and all the names being read. Five stations in the largest market in the U.S. showed the same thing for three hours -- and if they didn't, people would have been pissed. although, I think this may just be a New York thing.

It probably would not have killed any of the major cable news outlets to cover the whole thing. When one says that "no one would have watched it," what it translates to is that the networks should not have aired it (or at least had no obligation to do so) because they would have lost money on it!

Pffffft. I'm sick of this shit.

I bet the major news networks did think that people wouldn't have watched for 3 hours.

I would have though, like I said, I wanted to hear each and every name....I wanted to remember the people that died that day.

On a side note, coming home that night I happened to look up at the stars when I got home and I saw an airplane going overhead and I thought to myself "three years ago there weren't any planes in the night sky....and it felt like the end of the world that night"

People say that with time Americans will forget about what happened. I'm not so sure about that. 3 years later I still got a weird chill and a had a moment of fear when I saw a plane going overhead. I think the wound will still be there for years and years to come.

I watched the beginning when they were reading the names-it was emotionally overwhelming for me, so I can't begin to imagine how it was for the families. I was disappointed too by the coverage. C Span should have covered it.

Yes Rumsfeld was speaking at The Pentagon, but his speech was offensive to me and I shut it off. At least for that day, leave politics out of it :down:

exactly MrsSpringsteen, I felt that his speech should have been more focused on the loss of the people....not about the politics of war.

i usually watch c-span or the deuce (c-span 2) for any kind of public political event... they usually show the whole thing and without any biased commentary.

I couldn't believe they were actually going to read everyone's name. I figured it would take more than 3 hours; more likely 8-9, with the moment of silence after each name.

It's not worthy of network news time, but seeing it on C-Span would have sufficed.

Rest in peace.

I don't agree either-it certainly is worthy of network news time for me

I'm sure all those relatives there think it is worthy as well..

I hope all those names are read every year, until the end of time

Back
Top Bottom