Clooneys travel to Sudan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BorderGirl

Acrobat
Post columnist Nick Clooney, just back from an eight-day trip that he and his son, actor George Clooney, made to Sudan and Chad, says he hopes the stories they relate will prompt more protection and humanitarian aid for 2 million refugees from the Sudan province of war-torn Darfur.

w w w. savedarfur .org (remove spaces)

The Rally to Stop Genocide in Washington, DC on April 30th, 2006 will feature leading voices in the effort to stop the genocide in Darfur, including a broad spectrum of prominent faith leaders, political figures, human rights activists, celebrities, and survivors of genocide.

+++

More than one million people have fled Sudan's Darfur region, the victims of what UN officials have described as an "ethnic cleansing" campaign by a group of Arab militiamen.

The Darfur Conflict is an ongoing conflict in the Darfur region of western Sudan, mainly between the Janjaweed, a militia group recruited from local Arab tribes, and the non-Arab black peoples of the region. The Sudanese government, while publicly denying that it supports the Janjaweed, is providing arms and assistance and has participated in joint attacks with the group.

I hope like hell something will be done but no, 10 years from now the world will be looking back saying we should have done something. I would love to see more of a voice from groups which have been victims of genocide coming out and saying DO SOMETHING!! The statement about "never again" are just words.

I know it is very cynical of me but history has yet to prove me wrong when it comes to human behaviour. There was an interview on Charlie Rose last nite with Jans Egeland, UN humanitarian rep, Barack Obama, and Ken Bacon, refugees international. They didn't sound very hopeful about the situation. Sad to say, the fact that the refugees in Darfur have little economic value to the world economy is a background factor as to why the response has been so muted. I don't think it matters but I think some governments do.

trevster2k said:

I know it is very cynical of me but history has yet to prove me wrong when it comes to human behaviour.

"Human behaviour" is never 'done'. Things change constantly. Thankfully.
We have to get comfortable with the fact that we must take the time to educate ourselves. And in that pursuit be careful who we choose to follow.
Why the bad parts of history repeat is worthwhile pondering.

trevster2k said:
I know it is very cynical of me but history has yet to prove me wrong when it comes to human behaviour.

I know what you mean. I'm an historian, so I can be cynical about politicians too. Some of them are good people, but I'm not impressed with the brainpower of the people in Washington, generally speaking.

trevster2k said:
I hope like hell something will be done but no, 10 years from now the world will be looking back saying we should have done something. I would love to see more of a voice from groups which have been victims of genocide coming out and saying DO SOMETHING!! The statement about "never again" are just words.

I know it is very cynical of me but history has yet to prove me wrong when it comes to human behaviour. There was an interview on Charlie Rose last nite with Jans Egeland, UN humanitarian rep, Barack Obama, and Ken Bacon, refugees international. They didn't sound very hopeful about the situation. Sad to say, the fact that the refugees in Darfur have little economic value to the world economy is a background factor as to why the response has been so muted. I don't think it matters but I think some governments do.

Did you read my article in the holocaust remembrance thread?

trevster2k said:
I would love to see more of a voice from groups which have been victims of genocide coming out and saying DO SOMETHING!! The statement about "never again" are just words.
:shrug:

The organization Clooney works for, Save Darfur, was FOUNDED by the American Jewish World Service and the US National Holocaust Museum, and hundreds of synagogues across the country, including ours, are actively involved in it. Fully one-third of Save Darfur's member organizations are Jewish (and yes, there are Armenian organizations involved too). Of course high-profile supporters like Clooney or Elie Wiesel (who's also been highly involved, from the beginning) get more press for speaking out on the issue than some rabbi no one's ever heard of. Just because Jewish humanitarian organizations (or whatever minority kind) don't get a lot of press for our efforts doesn't mean we're not out there and active. And we do tend to favor forming coalitions like this with other, larger faith-based/humanitarian groups, because frankly, there's not enough of us to make much of a dent on our own, on Darfur or any other issue.

But ultimately, government involvement is what's most needed here, and that's really the whole point of the campaign.

Last edited:
Clooney said on Oprah yesterday that he was using his celebrity to bring attention to this.
"The actor said he chose to make the awareness trip with his father because he was "late" to the crisis in the Sudan and after having a "fairly decent year" he felt he should "cash in some of that capital on bringing some attention to things that concerned me."

Clooney said on Oprah yesterday that he was using his celebrity to bring attention to this. Sounds like Bono.
"The actor said he chose to make the awareness trip with his father because he was "late" to the crisis in the Sudan and after having a "fairly decent year" he felt he should "cash in some of that capital on bringing some attention to things that concerned me."

Thanks for the info yolland, I didn't know that about the organization. My mistake, and good for those groups who are involved. I still think the words are just words because the individuals in the position to make a difference fail to act to make the words a reality.

But I guess my theory about speaking up doesn't matter either, governments don't care. I still think we will continue to see acts of genocide in the future without any interference despite NGOs & concerned citizens best efforts.

I read the article blue-eyed poet, kind of reaffirms my position on how such a noble statement is tarnished by the actions of those who prefer inaction to action.

Last edited:
ER begins a 4 episode arc tonight focusing on Darfur and the humanitarian crisis in the Sudan. The shows were taped in South Africa, though, but still, at least it brings this into prime time and people's homes.

I think the Today Show is also doing a piece on the Clooneys in the Sudan tomorrow or next week- Oprah did yesterday. Good for them for bringing much needed attention to this crisis.

Kristoff was the guest host on the Charlie Rose show earlier this week when they discussed Darfur with Barack Obaba, and Jans Eguland.

Here in Canada, CBC News showed a lenghty excerpt of George Clooney talking to the media. He discussed the lack of action, the little bits of success and his encounter with a woman in Darfur while he was wretching his stomach behind a tent a day after eating goat. This was followed by a story about the Montreal Canadians losing their captain Saku Koivu to an eye injury. Well, at least some awareness is being raised.

Irvine511 said:
if anyone is in DC this Sunday, there's going to be a terrific rally on this -- http://www.savedarfur.org/rally/

not sure if i'll be able to go, since i've got to take Mr. Memphis out to Dulles, but i might be there.

great of you to post this info. thankyou! The website is fantastic and very informative.
I'm going with my two girls to the one in St. Paul MN this sunday.

Here's all the other locations across the nation:

April 30 Darfur Rallies Across the Nation
Portland, OR Portland's Save Darfur Rally April 30 1:30 - 3:00 PM Pioneer Courthouse Square
St. Paul, MN Rally to Stop Genocide April 30 2:00 PM State Capitol
Austin, TX Darfur Rally at the Capitol April 30 1:00 - 4:00 PM South steps of the Capitol Building, 112 East 11th Street
Tucson, AZ Tucson's Save Darfur: Rally to Stop Genocide April 30 7:30 PM University of Arizona Mall
Boca Raton, FL Rally for Darfur: Rock to Stop Genocide April 30 1:30 - 3:30 PM First United Methodist Church of Boca Raton
San Francisco Bay Area, CA Day of Conscience for Darfur April 30 Vigil: 11:00 AM,
Rally: 1:30 PM Golden Gate Bridge and Presidio Park
New York, NY Dining for Darfur April 30 Various Restaurants
Eugene, OR Rally to Save Darfur April 30 2:00 - 3:00 PM Wayne Morse Free Speech Plaza 8th and Oak
Seattle, WA Justice for Darfur: Rally and March to Stop Genocide in Darfur, Sudan April 30 2:00 PM Westlake Park: 4th Avenue and Pine Street (Federal Building to begin at 2:30 p.m.)
Somerville, NJ Save Darfur: Rally to Stop Genocide April 30 2:00 - 4:00 PM Somerset County Courthouse Lawn, Main Street
Toronto, ON, Canada Scream for Darfur April 30 1:00 PM Queen's Park
Boulder, CO Boulder Darfur Rally April 30 12:00 PM Pearl Street
Prescott, AZ Prescott Demonstration April 30 All Day Court House Square on Gurley
Vancouver, BC, Canada Darfur Rally April 30 12:00 - 5:00 PM Vancouver Art Gallery
Plymouth, MA Plymouth Area Interfaith Vigil/Postcard Writing Action April 30 12:00 - 2:00 PM Waterfront Area of Downtown Plymouth
Rutland, VT Vermont Voices for Darfur Rally April 30 12:00 PM Depot Park
Ipswitch MA Ipswitch Vigil April 30 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM Meetinghouse Green and Market Street
Chicago, IL Rally to Stop the Genocide in Darfur May 1 4:30 PM Federal Plaza, Dearborn and Adams, Chicago

anitram said:
ER begins a 4 episode arc tonight focusing on Darfur and the humanitarian crisis in the Sudan. The shows were taped in South Africa, though, but still, at least it brings this into prime time and people's homes.

slightly off topic, but yes, they've shown Carter in Darfur on past episodes, and it was shown again tonight when Dr.Pratt went down to "help out" and had a very "rough trip" just trying to get to his destination.

As for the Clooney/Oprah show, I had to Tivo it. Hopefully I'll get to watch it over the weekend. :reject:

The Today Show segment was excellent, George's father is an impressive man. Apple didn't fall far from the tree there.

I looked for the National Press Club on CSpan last night, no luck

The Save Darfur rally in DC will be on CSpan Sunday at 2 PM ET

Last edited:
Did anyone watch the rally? I missed George unfortunately but saw him on some CNN video :wink:

I hope it will help raise awareness and prod people and the govts into action.

Back
Top Bottom