Clooneys travel to Sudan - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2006, 06:47 PM   #1
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:45 AM
Clooneys travel to Sudan

Post columnist Nick Clooney, just back from an eight-day trip that he and his son, actor George Clooney, made to Sudan and Chad, says he hopes the stories they relate will prompt more protection and humanitarian aid for 2 million refugees from the Sudan province of war-torn Darfur.

w w w. savedarfur .org (remove spaces)

The Rally to Stop Genocide in Washington, DC on April 30th, 2006 will feature leading voices in the effort to stop the genocide in Darfur, including a broad spectrum of prominent faith leaders, political figures, human rights activists, celebrities, and survivors of genocide.

+++

More than one million people have fled Sudan's Darfur region, the victims of what UN officials have described as an "ethnic cleansing" campaign by a group of Arab militiamen.

The Darfur Conflict is an ongoing conflict in the Darfur region of western Sudan, mainly between the Janjaweed, a militia group recruited from local Arab tribes, and the non-Arab black peoples of the region. The Sudanese government, while publicly denying that it supports the Janjaweed, is providing arms and assistance and has participated in joint attacks with the group.

Old 04-26-2006, 07:20 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:45 AM
This is really cool. Someone needs to put pressure on the politicians to do something about this.

Old 04-26-2006, 07:38 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:15 AM
I hope like hell something will be done but no, 10 years from now the world will be looking back saying we should have done something. I would love to see more of a voice from groups which have been victims of genocide coming out and saying DO SOMETHING!! The statement about "never again" are just words.

I know it is very cynical of me but history has yet to prove me wrong when it comes to human behaviour. There was an interview on Charlie Rose last nite with Jans Egeland, UN humanitarian rep, Barack Obama, and Ken Bacon, refugees international. They didn't sound very hopeful about the situation. Sad to say, the fact that the refugees in Darfur have little economic value to the world economy is a background factor as to why the response has been so muted. I don't think it matters but I think some governments do.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:08 PM   #4
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k

I know it is very cynical of me but history has yet to prove me wrong when it comes to human behaviour.
"Human behaviour" is never 'done'. Things change constantly. Thankfully.
We have to get comfortable with the fact that we must take the time to educate ourselves. And in that pursuit be careful who we choose to follow.
Why the bad parts of history repeat is worthwhile pondering.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:05 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I know it is very cynical of me but history has yet to prove me wrong when it comes to human behaviour.
I know what you mean. I'm an historian, so I can be cynical about politicians too. Some of them are good people, but I'm not impressed with the brainpower of the people in Washington, generally speaking.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:20 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:45 PM
Why Washington? Why not go straight to the UN?
Old 04-27-2006, 05:41 AM   #7
Refugee

Quote:
I hope like hell something will be done but no, 10 years from now the world will be looking back saying we should have done something. I would love to see more of a voice from groups which have been victims of genocide coming out and saying DO SOMETHING!! The statement about "never again" are just words.

I know it is very cynical of me but history has yet to prove me wrong when it comes to human behaviour. There was an interview on Charlie Rose last nite with Jans Egeland, UN humanitarian rep, Barack Obama, and Ken Bacon, refugees international. They didn't sound very hopeful about the situation. Sad to say, the fact that the refugees in Darfur have little economic value to the world economy is a background factor as to why the response has been so muted. I don't think it matters but I think some governments do.
Did you read my article in the holocaust remembrance thread?
Old 04-27-2006, 05:53 AM   #8
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:45 AM
Quote:
I would love to see more of a voice from groups which have been victims of genocide coming out and saying DO SOMETHING!! The statement about "never again" are just words.

The organization Clooney works for, Save Darfur, was FOUNDED by the American Jewish World Service and the US National Holocaust Museum, and hundreds of synagogues across the country, including ours, are actively involved in it. Fully one-third of Save Darfur's member organizations are Jewish (and yes, there are Armenian organizations involved too). Of course high-profile supporters like Clooney or Elie Wiesel (who's also been highly involved, from the beginning) get more press for speaking out on the issue than some rabbi no one's ever heard of. Just because Jewish humanitarian organizations (or whatever minority kind) don't get a lot of press for our efforts doesn't mean we're not out there and active. And we do tend to favor forming coalitions like this with other, larger faith-based/humanitarian groups, because frankly, there's not enough of us to make much of a dent on our own, on Darfur or any other issue.

But ultimately, government involvement is what's most needed here, and that's really the whole point of the campaign.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 04-27-2006, 09:33 AM   #9
Acrobat

Clooney said on Oprah yesterday that he was using his celebrity to bring attention to this.
"The actor said he chose to make the awareness trip with his father because he was "late" to the crisis in the Sudan and after having a "fairly decent year" he felt he should "cash in some of that capital on bringing some attention to things that concerned me."
Old 04-27-2006, 09:36 AM   #10
Acrobat

Clooney said on Oprah yesterday that he was using his celebrity to bring attention to this. Sounds like Bono.
"The actor said he chose to make the awareness trip with his father because he was "late" to the crisis in the Sudan and after having a "fairly decent year" he felt he should "cash in some of that capital on bringing some attention to things that concerned me."
Old 04-27-2006, 10:27 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:15 AM
Thanks for the info yolland, I didn't know that about the organization. My mistake, and good for those groups who are involved. I still think the words are just words because the individuals in the position to make a difference fail to act to make the words a reality.

But I guess my theory about speaking up doesn't matter either, governments don't care. I still think we will continue to see acts of genocide in the future without any interference despite NGOs & concerned citizens best efforts.

I read the article blue-eyed poet, kind of reaffirms my position on how such a noble statement is tarnished by the actions of those who prefer inaction to action.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:26 AM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

if anyone is in DC this Sunday, there's going to be a terrific rally on this -- http://www.savedarfur.org/rally/

not sure if i'll be able to go, since i've got to take Mr. Memphis out to Dulles, but i might be there.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:57 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

ER begins a 4 episode arc tonight focusing on Darfur and the humanitarian crisis in the Sudan. The shows were taped in South Africa, though, but still, at least it brings this into prime time and people's homes.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:36 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

I think the Today Show is also doing a piece on the Clooneys in the Sudan tomorrow or next week- Oprah did yesterday. Good for them for bringing much needed attention to this crisis.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:43 PM   #15
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
if anyone is in DC this Sunday, there's going to be a terrific rally on this -- http://www.savedarfur.org/rally/

not sure if i'll be able to go, since i've got to take Mr. Memphis out to Dulles, but i might be there.
I will def. be there.