Cloning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spiral_Staircase

War Child
I doubt most people think growing coca is an inherently immoral process. However, because people fear that most growers of coca intend to process it into a dangerous substance (cocaine), growing coca is illegal in the U.S.

I assume most people think murder is an inherently immoral process, regardless of the intent.

Like the cocaine example above, I understand that many people would like to ban human cloning (or perhaps all cloning) because of the potential for evil intent on the part of the "cloners" (clones as spare parts or mindless soldiers, etc).

I am wondering if many people believe that cloning is an inherently immoral activity. Is it wrong regardless of intent (like murder)?

A couple of disclaimers:
1. I'm not trying to start a debate about U.S. narcotics policy.
2.Maybe this has been discussed in-depth here recently. sorry if that's the case, I've been out for a while.

Ok, I just found Holy Chao's "Human Clonage" thread. I have to say that I'm not convinced that cloning is wrong. I always hear the "it's unnatural" or "it's against God" arguments. Have you been to the state fair lately? You should see Minnesota's largest tomato. THAT is unnatural.

talking to myself,
Spiral

Hey spiral! You're alive. lol. Kyra1 and I have gotten together for coffee and stuff a couple of times in the past few weeks and were wondering if you still posted. MN State Fair...where you can get anything on a stick.
biggrin.gif

-sula

------------------
~I want to play the guitar very badly, and I do play the guitar very badly - Bono~

Take a virtual tour of U2's Dublin... Crzy4Bono's U2 page with some of Sula's Dublin pic's

Send the Hewson family your support...sign at www.petitiononline.com/OneLove/petition.html

Hey sula! Yeah, I'm alive and well. I've only dropped in here a couple times in the last few months though...been busy buying a house/moving/mowing my new lawn/delaying the Minneapolis Bootleg Vine you were on (my sincere apologies for that fiasco). Cool that you and Kyra have gotten together. Just a week til we're all walking around with a pork-chop-on-a-stick in one hand and a pickle-on-a-stick in the other!
wink.gif
Take care!

CALGARY, Alberta (Reuters) - Doctors who claimed last week to be on the brink of creating the world's first human clone are thumbing their noses at the international community and should be disciplined, according to a Canadian bioethics expert.
"I'm not sure what can be done except to sanction the individuals in their own jurisdictions and hope the international community will have a similar disciplined approach," said Dr. 1130918505

Doig was responding to an announcement made at a conference at the Washington-based National Academy of Sciences by Italian embryologist Severino Antinori and his U.S. counterpart Panayiotis Zavos. The two doctors claim that they want to clone human beings mainly to serve the interests of infertile couples, and 1952997748

The recent declaration caused a stir in political, religious, philosophical and scientific circles around the globe. Many leaders in the field of bioethics are convinced that the 1768779884

"It is the height of arrogance for two physicians to say, 'We're not going to consider other people's opinions, we'll go offshore in international waters to do it if our own countries 2003791399

Doig believes that before human cloning should occur, the international community needs more discussion regarding the procedure so "we can come up with a cogent, well-considered opinion 1633841013

There is no national law against cloning in Canada or the United States, but both countries refuse to fund human cloning research with federal money.

Since the controversial announcement, several scientists have come forward to argue that there is no guarantee that a clone will develop into a healthy individual. Also, the failure rate for the procedure that the two doctors plan to use -- the same method employed to create Dolly the sheep, where the nucleus of an 543516519

But Doig acknowledged that if the two doctors have discovered a more reliable technique, they may end up looking like heroes.

"As much as there is a risk for them being seen as pariahs, there is potential for them to be the equivalent of a Christiaan Barnard, the doctor who performed the world's first heart transplant," he said.

"Still, my personal opinion and that of the medical and ethics community in Canada about whether cloning should occur today in our country is, absolutely not," he stressed.

"Will it occur in the future? Maybe," he added. http://home-news.excite.ca/news/r/010817/10/lifestyle-healthumn-col

Back
Top Bottom