Clint Eastwoods speaks out against the war, but admirs Bushes Tanacity. (please keep)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070209/ts_alt_afp/afpentertainmentusfilmeastwoodiraq
Clint Eastwood against Iraq war, but admires Bush "tenacity" Fri Feb 9, 12:21 AM ET

LOS ANGELES (AFP) - Hollywood icon Clint Eastwood has said he opposed the United States' decision to go to war in Iraq but said he admired the "tenacity" of President George W. Bush.

In an interview with Fox News, Eastwood, who has been nominated for a best director Oscar at this month's Academy Awards for World War Two movie "Letters from Iwo Jima", said he was against the US-led 2003 invasion of Iraq.

The United States' goal of trying to impose democracy on Iraq was flawed, the 76-year-old said.

"I wasn't for going in there," Eastwood said. "Only because democracy isn't something that you get overnight. I don't think America got democracy overnight. It's something we had to fight for and believe in."

While other Hollywood celebrities have been outspoken in their criticism of Bush, Eastwood said he admired the US leader's tenacity.

"I think -- you know, I kind of admire the tenacity he has," Eastwood said.

Asked how he though Bush would be remembered, Eastwood replied: "Well, somebody who -- you've got to admire somebody who stands up for what they believe regardless of how the polls go.

"A lot of presidents do everything by the polls. They do a focus group then all of a sudden they say OK, that's what I'm going to be for because that's where focus group is leading me."

Tenacity isn't the same thing as stubbornness, and refusal to admit mistakes/your wrongs.

Standing up for what you believe in is certainly admirable, but not when thousands of lives are being lost and you are the President and practically everyone (experts, not just average citizens) is saying that your course of action is wrong. The President is accountable to the people, and all the people-not just those who elected him and/or agree with him. It's not just about polls, it's about what is really happening over there.

Bush is just plain stubborn, and arrogant as hell. He thinks he's right all the time. You can't force democracy on a people. They have to be familiar with democratic values. You can't introduce it overnight. This stuff is all very complicated, and Bush thinks it's simple. He's wrong.

Re: Clint Eastwoods speaks out against the war, but admirs Bushes Tanacity. (please keep)

Justin24 said:
It's something we had to fight for and believe in.

Clint has a good point there. I wonder what percentage of Iraqis believe that a Western-style democracy is what their country needs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom