Cleric offers $1 million bounty to kill cartoonist - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2006, 10:19 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:09 AM
Cleric offers $1 million bounty to kill cartoonist

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060217/...ophet_drawings

Old 02-17-2006, 10:33 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah, that's a fantastic way to fight the stereotypes in the cartoons.

I don't get it. Denmark draws Mohammed with a bomb for a turban, and the Islamic community gets mad, saying that this does not represent their religion. And then one of their leaders goes right out and does this.

Old 02-17-2006, 11:25 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:09 PM
Would be too tit-for-tat to put a bounty on the Clerics head - or maybe a bullet in it?

Please don't kill the Cleric, just mock his prophet until he gets upset - put some scandalous cartoon images in his head.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:59 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:09 AM
This is barbaric.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:20 PM   #5
Refugee

Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
that's a really stupid reaction... but you know what? I think that the cartoonist was looking what he didn't lost, drawing that. I mean, what kind of reaction was he expecting ? it was obvious that radical sectors would get pissed after seing that drawing.

When the photographer Andrés Serrano did his "piss christ" many people from the catholic and christian sectors got really mad , they didn't got violent but the anger was there. But Serrano had a complete discurse after the image, so the pic wasn't gratuite at all. I'm not saying that this kind of art doesn't have to be done ( I can't say that!) but I say that if you do a piece or art or something that may offend some people in a way or another you have to be prepared for the consecuences. If you are not, you are not a good artist with integrity, that what i think,
Old 02-17-2006, 02:31 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:09 PM
Jeez they say they dont want to be stereotyped, yet they show their true colors. I think they need to update their lifestyles and be a little more liberal. I think they all suffer from Blue Balls Syndrome.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:46 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:09 PM
What is a cleric doing with $1 Million? Does he have his own television show?
Old 02-17-2006, 03:54 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
It's been said that Islam is a merchant-friendly culture. I never thought it could go this far.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:54 PM   #9
Refugee

Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
I would kill him ... but that's because his drawing is ugly .... hehehehehehehe

and, yeah... I can draw better than him... in fact I'm a lot more respecful and inteligent than him. I wouldn't do a thing like that, cuz being muslim doesn't mean to be violent, not all the people who follows the Coran is violent, and Mahoma is not a symbol of violence. In his attempt to show the muslim people as violent the cartoonist failled, showing himself and the people who are behind him as ignorants.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:04 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

They were drawing cartoons in response to a childrens author being unable to get a picture of Mohammed because artists were in fear. The cartoon fiasco has proven that if you offend Islam you will risk death even if you live in the western world.

If you have a situation where you risk death for a form of expression that does not harm anybody then something is very seriously wrong.

There is no right not to be offended and there is no law that we have to be respectful of religion. There is on the other hand laws against murder and death threats. They are not morally the same and responsibility for this rests firmly upon those inciting violence against the cartoonists and those who carry out illegal actions.

I hate to say it but this entire fiasco has only given more evidence towards those that treat Islam as a backwards and violent religion, and I can't say that I entirely disagree.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:35 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76

It's been said that Islam is a merchant-friendly culture. I never thought it could go this far.
isn't that partly how the religion came to be? as a way to unite the arabian peninsula for political & economic gain? that's certainly how it seemed in my second age of empires course several years ago.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:56 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

More info, the bounty was not 1 million dollars, rather 1.5 million rupees
Quote:
A Pakistani cleric today offered 1.5m rupees (£9,600) and a car as a reward to anyone who killed the cartoonist who drew images of the prophet Muhammad.
Mohammed Yousaf Qureshi, a prayer leader at the Mohabat Khan mosque in Peshawar, made the announcement to a 1,000-strong crowd outside the mosque after Friday prayers.

"This is a unanimous decision by all imams that whoever insults the prophet deserves to be killed, and whoever will take this insulting man to his end will get this prize," he said
link

Well thats alright, probably not worth the trouble

But then again
Quote:
A minister in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh, Haji Yaqub, announces an $11m (£6.3m) reward for anyone who beheads the cartoonist who drew the images.
Taken from the BBC website.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:50 AM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 04:39 PM
Sigh, I don't see the great wall of Western/Eastern tension dying down anytime soon, it sure as hell is going to get worse before it gets better.
One thing I'm still not quite clear on, how would we classify the Muslims that are causing all this violence and retaliation towards Western symbols? Are these regular Qu'ran abiding Muslims or idiotic/ignorant Extremists? They must be extremists because the Qu'ran surely would condemn such actions, and if it doesn't condemn these actions, what a *******up religion/way of life it truely is and I wouldn't be sorry for saying that. Any religion any would support such violence in the retaliation for a cartoon portraying something they find offensive to their way of life, seems quite contrary to my definition of religion.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:53 AM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Old 02-18-2006, 11:02 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Mohammed did want to unify the Arab world. When he was born there was no central authority in Arabia. The basic unit of society was the tribe. To this day, the basic unit of the Arabian society is the tribe. Remember, the modern countries were designated by European powers. Mohammed unified all of Arabia, then after he died they grabbed Syria and the Persian Empire, then northern Africa, then there was a split and pretty soon you had three rival claimants to the caliphate (the leadership of the Islamic world) and two branches of Islam, the Sunni and the Shi'ites.