Classy - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2004, 01:51 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 07:11 PM
Classy

http://www.democrats.org/blog/trackback/00010934.html

More info here:
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...cs/9540230.htm

Old 08-31-2004, 05:59 AM   #2
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:11 PM
Lovely.

Old 08-31-2004, 08:27 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:11 PM
This sort of UNEXCUSABLE BEHAVIOR by members of the Republican Party is despicable!

How dare they say that they support veterans and their service for the USA and then go and do this!

No matter what they feel about John Kerry's military record (at least he had one - WHERE IS GEORGE BUSH'S MILITARY RECORD?)they should NEVER DISRESPECT veterans and their service in this way.

Where are the "compassionate" conservatives they have spoke about?

Old 08-31-2004, 08:48 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:11 PM

I came here hoping there would be a thread about this. I was watching last night and saw Candy Crowley interviewing a delegate who was wearing one (an older woman). Her justification for it was something to the effect that "Kerry made this an issue rather than his record" and she insisted this doesn't degrade other Purple Heart recipients. (they can claim that all they want, but it doesn't wash).

My father has a Purple Heart. Regardless of my other feelings about him, I can say for sure that I am so proud of this, and he earned every bit of it. He still has shrapnel and a huge scar, and suffered from PTSD and numerous other problems. How dare they do this. I wonder what John McCain thought about this while he was there last night. I'm waiting for Bush or any other prominent person there to denounce this.

I wish people on both sides would drop the petty, immature, mean spirited and vicious crap and display some class and human compassion.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:50 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

It's political commentary. Kerry's first injury leading to a purple heart was remedied by a band-aid. In fact, his first commander denied his purple heart application because the injury was too insignificant.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:56 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

I understand the Kerry reference, but there are other ways to make commentary without stooping to such a juvenile classless level.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:03 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

like making a "documentary"
Old 08-31-2004, 09:04 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:11 AM
Very poor behavior indeed. But its amazing how one side will attack such "juvenile classless behavior", yet ignore it in their own party.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:18 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

I don't ignore it in my party, and I wouldn't defend it either. There are things Democrats could do that I wouldn't think are as classless and mean spirited as this "band aid" thing, but that doesn't mean I think it's acceptable.

This is a personal thing for me as I explained.

As I said in my first post - BOTH sides
Old 08-31-2004, 09:41 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

This is disgusting. If the Democrats did this I would say that too. Tasteless.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:05 AM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
NEW YORK - Police braced for a day of civil disobedience Tuesday after an ugly turn in relations between convention protesters and the thousands of officers assigned to police them.

A march from the United Nations (news - web sites) to Madison Square Garden ended in violence Monday after a protester attacked a plainclothes detective on a scooter, knocking him unconscious. Hundreds of police in riot gear swarmed the area, pushing protesters away from the Garden and into nearby side streets.

Police prepared for further confrontation Tuesday after protesters promised to demonstrate wherever delegates and party heavyweights were celebrating and sightseeing.

In the months leading up to the convention, activists designated Tuesday an official day of civil disobedience, planning sit-ins, street theater and even vandalism aimed at the offices of corporations with links to the Bush family or the Republican Party.

They planned to start early in the day by harassing Republicans at a breakfast at the Tavern on the Green restaurant in Central Park.

Monday's confrontation capped an otherwise peaceful day of small demonstrations focusing on health care, civil rights, homelessness and other areas where protesters say President Bush (news - web sites) and Republicans have failed the country.

The plainclothes detective who was attacked, William Sample, was in serious condition Tuesday with serious facial trauma, but his injuries were not life threatening, police said. His assailant was being sought. Four other officers suffered minor injuries during the scuffle.

Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly called it "a blatant, vicious attack."

The protest began when a crowd of several thousand outside U.N. headquarters negotiated with police to march to Madison Square Garden despite not having a permit. Police proposed a route to a sanctioned protest area south of the Garden, and demonstration leaders accepted.

"They asked if they could march, and we said yes," police Assistant Deputy Commissioner Tom Doepfner said. "We try to be nice."

A wall of uniformed police on motor scooters blocked off half of Second Avenue as marchers trooped down city streets. Police steered the restless, unwieldy crowd through midtown Manhattan rush-hour traffic as cars backed up 10 blocks in places.

The march ended at the protest area south of the Garden. Witnesses said the confrontation began as police tried to use interlocking metal fences to contain the thousands of protesters.
three cheers for class

there are classless idiots on all sides of the political fence... to start nitpicking over a stupid old lady on msnbc is just opening up a can of worms that neither side wants to open.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:11 AM   #12
The Fly

Local Time: 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamila

No matter what they feel about John Kerry's military record (at least he had one - WHERE IS GEORGE BUSH'S MILITARY RECORD?)
WHERE IS BILL CLINTON'S MILITARY RECORD?

I'm getting tired of the democrats milking this better record thing when they never cared when it was Clinton the draft dodger vs. 2 WWII heroes (old man Bush and Dole)
Old 08-31-2004, 10:49 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

This pisses me off. I think it's really disgusting and insulting to all veterans who earned Purple Hearts. Jessica Lynch won a pretty uncontroversial Purple Heart. I wonder what she thinks of this? This is the most emotional election since 1968, right in the heat of the Vietnam war, so maybe it's only fitting that this sort of thing would go on. If the Democrats ever did anything like this I'd quit the campaign.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:37 AM   #14
The Fly

Local Time: 05:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lilac

WHERE IS BILL CLINTON'S MILITARY RECORD?

I'm getting tired of the democrats milking this better record thing when they never cared when it was Clinton the draft dodger vs. 2 WWII heroes (old man Bush and Dole)
If I'm not wrong (and please correct me if I do), Clinton never tried to dig up dirt (not to mention lies) from their military service like bush junior does regarding Kerry. That's why it wasn't such a big issue.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:40 AM   #15
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

three cheers for class

there are classless idiots on all sides of the political fence... to start nitpicking over a stupid old lady on msnbc is just opening up a can of worms that neither side wants to open.
Whew, all the spin in this thread is making me dizzy.

So protesters at the RNC are automatically on my side? Kind of like how these guys were on your side at the DNC, right? I'm not on the side of anyone who protests violently, and they are not in New York representing me. On the other hand, this lady and the 250 other people at the RNC wearing the purple band-aids are there representing Republicans. Equating protesters with delegates isn't really the same thing.

As to whether or not Kerry's wounds are political fodder ... Can you imagine the uproar if Democrats had pulled this stunt at the '96 DNC? After all, Bob Dole's first purple heart was awarded for a self-inflicted scratch. Here's Bob Dole describing it in 1988:
Quote:
As we approached the enemy, there was a brief exchange of gunfire. I took a grenade in hand, pulled the pin, and tossed it in the direction of the farmhouse. It wasn't a very good pitch (remember, I was used to catching passes, not throwing them). In the darkness, the grenade must have struck a tree and bounced off. It exploded nearby, sending a sliver of metal into my leg--the sort of injury the Army patched up with Mercurochrome and a Purple Heart.
Can you imagine the outrage if Democrats had mocked Bob Dole? Or if delegates had been walking around the latest DNC with white powder under their noses?