Civililty at it's worst

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

randhail

Rock n' Roll Doggie
People trampled, panic ensues in rush to purchase bargain laptops

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) -- A rush to purchase $50 used laptops turned into a violent stampede Tuesday, with people getting thrown to the pavement, beaten with a folding chair and nearly driven over. One woman went so far to wet herself rather than surrender her place in line.

"This is total, total chaos," said Latoya Jones, 19, who lost one of her flip-flops in the ordeal and later limped around on the sizzling blacktop with one foot bare.

More than 1,000 people turned out at the Richmond International Raceway in hopes of getting their hands on one of the 4-year-old Apple Computer Inc. iBooks, which retail for between $999 and $1,299. The Henrico County school system was selling 1,000 of the computers to county residents.

Officials opened the gates at 7 a.m., but some already had been waiting for hours in line. When the gates opened, it became a terrifying mob scene.

People threw themselves forward, screaming and pushing each other. A little girl's stroller was crushed in the stampede. Witnesses said an elderly man was thrown to the pavement, and someone in a car tried to drive his way through the crowd.

Police would not immediately comment on the number of or extent of injuries, though witnesses said they mostly had scrapes and bruises.

"It's rather strange that we would have such a tremendous response for the purchase of a laptop computer -- and laptop computers that probably have less-than- desirable attributes," said Paul Proto, director of general services for Henrico County. "But I think that people tend to get caught up in the excitement of the event -- it almost has an entertainment value."

Blandine Alexander, 33, said one woman standing in front of her was so desperate to retain her place in line that she urinated on herself.

"I've never been in something like that before, and I never again will," said Alexander, who brought her 14-year-old twin boys to the complex at 4:30 a.m. to wait in line. "No matter what the kids want, I already told them I'm not doing that again."

Jesse Sandler said he was one of the people pushing forward, using a folding chair he had brought with him to beat back people who tried to cut in front of him.

"I took my chair here and I threw it over my shoulder and I went, 'Bam,"' the 20-year-old said nonchalantly, his eyes glued to the screen of his new iBook, as he tapped away on the keyboard at a testing station.

"They were getting in front of me and I was there a lot earlier than them, so I thought that it was just," he said.

:eyebrow: :down:

randhail said:
one woman standing in front of her was so desperate to retain her place in line that she urinated on herself.

I'm sorry. I read this article earlier and this line makes me laugh. :lol:

Melon

I think U2Democrat lives near there. Maybe that's her school and maybe her laptop was one of the ones that were fought over. (It's my understanding that the school gave her a laptop for use during the school year) I hope they cleared her cache, otherwise they're going to see a lot of pictures of John Cougar Phantomcamp :sexywink:

I work in the IT dept. that supports my entire college and all of the computers on-campus are on a 3-year life cycle, meaning no staff, faculty, lab, or another station has a computer more than three years old. This illustrates just ONE of the MANY reasons we stopped selling used computers and parts and just quietly donate them to local charities, churches and non-profits instead.

I saw a similar thing happen on a smaller scale the second time I met Bono. Me and the people I was with saw him outside his hotel and were just talking and taking a picture here and there when others realized who he was. In seconds, there was like a mob rush and I saw many grown women pushing down a little boy who who had walked over to get his ATYCLB autographed. At that time, I really felt ashamed to be a U2 fan. :tsk:

Last edited:
LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I work in the IT dept. that supports my entire college and all of the computers on-campus are on a 3-year life cycle, meaning no staff, faculty, lab, or another station has a computer more than three years old. This illustrates just ONE of the MANY reasons we stopped selling used computers and parts and just quietly donate them to local charities, churches and non-profits instead.

I saw a similar thing happen on a smaller scale the second time I met Bono. Me and the people I was with saw him outside his hotel and were just talking and taking a picture here and there when others realized who he was. In seconds, there was like a mob rush and I saw many grown women pushing down a little boy who who had walked over to get his ATYCLB autographed. At that time, I really felt ashamed to be a U2 fan. :tsk:

:tsk:

A similar thing happened in Anaheim when I had my one and only opportunity to meet Bono. The second he left his car, grown women knocked down the barrier we had been behind and started pushing and shoving and screeching his name. He was out of the car for a total of maybe one minute when he decided he wasn't going to stay. :|

As for the computer sale...I'm not surprised in the least. We have brides to be beating the crap out each other for discounted wedding dresses and parents knocking each other down to be the first to buy the latest must-have toy. Greed and sense entitlement come before manners it seems.

Oh my God, Liv, that is horrible. I adore U2 but I can't imagine risking my life or hurting another's just to get a two second hello.

On-topic: Sadly, this shit is not rare. People will do anything to save a few bucks. People have gotten hurt in a stampede at many Wal-marts because DVDs were being sold dirt cheap. People have put themselves and their children's lives on the line to get a Tickle-me Elmo or a Cabbage Patch Doll.

Bono's American Wife said:
As for the computer sale...I'm not surprised in the least. We have brides to be beating the crap out each other for discounted wedding dresses and parents knocking each other down to be the first to buy the latest must-have toy. Greed and sense entitlement come before manners it seems.

:mad: Isn't it disgusting? We live in a materially-obsessed, keep-up-with-the-Joneses society. Add that to a herd mentality and you have stories like this. :tsk:

I say, to hell with the Joneses. I'm not risking life, limb, sanity or decency for the latest fad toy or soon-to-be-obsolete electronica. And I'll be sure to teach my child why, too.

And for the other stories, frankly, who can blame Bono for bailing? Those loonies could've seriously hurt him! Not to mention their total lack of manners and consideration for other people, which is totally against his beliefs and ways.

That attitude is a big reason I never go to the big sales, or shop at most stores a couple months before Christmas . I really dislike crowds anyway, and pushy, obnoxious crowds are my idea of hell.

It's too bad the really obnoxious people (like the guy with the chair) weren't booted out without being allowed to buy anything. The sad thing is the people that really should be ashamed of themselves will be proud instead. :no:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

This is part of the reason why Bono still lives in Dublin, I believe. He is less likely to get hassled like that here because he is 'part of the scenery'. Honestly, most Dubliners wouldn't think twice if they saw Bono walking down the street. I'm not saying he never gets hassled by overly enthusiastic fans here but it happens less than people might think.

Last edited:
people are dangerous. and dumb. and somebody ought to whack that chair-guy over the head with that laptop he bought.

I hate people sometimes. And this kind of shit makes me hate some Americans.

As others have said, in other countries, people riot for food. Or freedom. This just makes me embarrassed to live here.

Sue DeNym said:
:mad: Isn't it disgusting? We live in a materially-obsessed, keep-up-with-the-Joneses society. Add that to a herd mentality and you have stories like this. :tsk:

I say, to hell with the Joneses. I'm not risking life, limb, sanity or decency for the latest fad toy or soon-to-be-obsolete electronica. And I'll be sure to teach my child why, too.

And for the other stories, frankly, who can blame Bono for bailing? Those loonies could've seriously hurt him! Not to mention their total lack of manners and consideration for other people, which is totally against his beliefs and ways.

:up:. Well said.

And while I do still like shopping around Christmastime, yes, I do constantly shake my head at the "adults" who are pushing each other all over the place to get the latest toy. Grow up, guys, I've seen 5 year olds more mature than you :rolleyes:.

Angela

civility died a long time ago..a similar thing happened to me a few months back when I waited for hours for a chance to see Bono. This very loud woman, who insisted that she was there before everyone else (even though I was there before everyone else except for 2 guys) pushed her way over to Bono even though John Sampson said no pictures, she got her picture. Everyone there was pushing, because I was in front I managed to say hello to Bono and Edge and get their autographs. She made a fool of herself in my opinion. People even approached Edge when he had walked away to go on his blackberry.

I had to say " please stop pushing" right in front of Bono and John then told people to stop.

I would much rather be dignified and respectful of them any day and not get a picture or anything else than be rude and loud like that woman was. It brings out the worst in some people, but then again when some people seem to get competitive over it on an Internet forum it doesn't surprise me :shrug:

We all like to get good deals on things, I mean 50 bucks for a laptop is a great deal, but come on. Who in their right mind hits people with a chair. I didn't hit people when they got U2 tickets and I didn't...even though I may have wanted to :wink:

It demonstrates that some people have virtually no patience or common courtesy for that matter. Just imagine the free-for-all at the venues if there wasn't a line police to keep some order.

Back
Top Bottom