City upon a hill.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
For we must consider that we shall be as a city upon a hill. The eyes of all people are upon us. So that if we shall deal falsely with our God in this work we have undertaken… we shall be made a story and a by-word throughout the world. We shall open the mouths of enemies to speak evil of the ways of God… We shall shame the faces of many of God's worthy servants, and cause their prayers to be turned into curses upon us til we be consumed out of the good land whither we are a-going.[1]

So we are suddenly able to travel through space and time at great distances to a planet that we can inhabit.

A challenge for the forum -

What does your new "City upon a hill" look like. What will this world you create be like?

Here is the real challenge - you are not allowed to criticize anyone elses world. You are allowed to respond by saying you like somehting about the world.

I think this is appropriate for this forum, because I am thinking about policitcs, government systems ect.....

SO CREATE your CITY UPON A HILL

I will think about this on my walk home. First thing is it wouldn't be on a hill. I hate heights and love the ocean.

The first law I would make would be -

Marriage Rights are granted to every human being who choose to enter into a partnership together.

I think the big thing for me would be free and accessible education for all who want to pursue it. It really is the great equalizer, and for many people the only equalizer. It definitely was for me. My family may have been "disadvantaged" in every other way but when I sat down to take an exam, none of it mattered. And I am also relatively lazy so I have to thank God for giving me enough brain to overcome my preference to spend my time doing everything but sitting in front of a book.

So that would be one of the major things for me. I also think it's important to spot kids who aren't academic and maybe don't care for typical academia but are extraordinarily gifted in other ways. Maybe it's music, or maybe it's making something with their hands. And making sure that they have positive outlets for their talents and that if they want to make a career out of something practical, then we should help them do so rather than marginalizing them.

Oh and the second most important thing would be that every restaurant has to bring you their dessert menu along with the main menu so that you can properly pace yourself if you see a pastry you'd die for. It always really hurts me when I find myself full and yet there is a cake calling my name.

You can eat all the chocolate ice cream you want and never gain weight

Sounds perfect to me!

My city on a hill will also include lack of hypocrisy when it comes to people's beliefs. What I mean by that is, a person cannot say one group should be protected, while the other scorned - all the while that person preaches equality for all. Make up your mind: do you want equality for all or for some?

When I say equality, I mean respect. You can't go around saying everyone should be treated equal, and then turn around and bad mouth a group.

My perfect world would require that everyone commit to a four day work week with a fifth day off for people to give back to their community in some manner.

My perfect world would require all businesses to close for one day a week. I believe families should have the ability to spend a day together.

My perfect world would require that everyone commit to a four day work week with a fifth day off for people to give back to their community in some manner.

My perfect world would require all businesses to close for one day a week. I believe families should have the ability to spend a day together.

I like the sound of your perfect world.

So far. :wink:

My city on the hill would have a coast, as well. Everyone would be assured education, a comfortable place to live, no one would go hungry ... and no one would wear droopy-ass draws and hats backwards.

My city would not allow wars or violence towards others. Nor, famine or greed. Everyone would be just and equal. And it would be "green!" Environmentally friendly. :wave:

In my world teachers would make baseball player salaries and baseball players, would be teachers playing the game for fun after work.

Oh and the second most important thing would be that every restaurant has to bring you their dessert menu along with the main menu so that you can properly pace yourself if you see a pastry you'd die for. It always really hurts me when I find myself full and yet there is a cake calling my name.

I am for this....

My new Idea is - reverse retirement -

You should not have to work until you are forty - so you can enjoy the world. Then you have to work until you die to support the fun the under forty corwd is having.

I have to admit I'm a little frightened of 93-year-old cab drivers and 87-year-old surgeons...

gays. lots and lots of gays. we make great urban citizens who support local theater, music, arts, book stores, coffee shops, restaurants that aren't Applebees, public transportation, and they spend lots of time making their homes attractive inside and out.

so gays. that's what my city will have.

I do not want you as dictator.

Back
Top Bottom