City of Philadelphia Adds $199,999 to Boy Scout HQ Rent Due to Gay Ban - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2007, 11:33 PM   #121
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy
So if men and women, who have been separated for centuries because of their orientation, are separated in intimacy than so should homosexuals.

i'll only say this once more.

if you and i were at the gym at the same time, and we didn't know each other, and we showered and got changed at the same time, you'd have no idea that i was gay. you'd know i was a man, and i'd know you were a man, but there'd be nothing else that enters the equation.

if you were showering next to a naked woman (evidently) it would be quite a different situation.

how hard is this to understand?

Old 10-24-2007, 11:40 PM   #122
She's the One

Local Time: 04:21 PM
Quote:
I feel offended because of her presumption that us straight males "cannot control ourselves."
This is your assumption, not mine. You're the one who said rape was about sex, and you're the one who's freaked out about gay guys checking you out.

Who is more worried about the self-control of men?

Old 10-24-2007, 11:47 PM   #123
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Who is more worried about the self-control of men?
Exactly...
Old 10-24-2007, 11:47 PM   #124
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

i'll only say this once more.

if you and i were at the gym at the same time, and we didn't know each other, and we showered and got changed at the same time, you'd have no idea that i was gay. you'd know i was a man, and i'd know you were a man, but there'd be nothing else that enters the equation.

if you were showering next to a naked woman (evidently) it would be quite a different situation.

how hard is this to understand?

Likewise.

The undisclosed sexual orientation allows for comfortableness. Because it's undisclosed. If it were (unintentionally) disclosed as in the case of the woman I assure you there would more cautiousness on the part of the person who feels he might be peeped on.

I'm sure a man who is told that a lesbian will shower with him would feel comfortable. But if the lesbian knows he is straight I assure you she wouldn't move as freely as she would otherwise.

Don't take my word for it. Ask people you know. It's logical. You only disagree with me because you don't want to grant the fact that I'm right about something. Ask people you know and then you'll see I'm right.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:55 PM   #125
She's the One

Local Time: 04:21 PM
So does all this mean that Philly should give a discriminatory group a deal on rent?
Old 10-25-2007, 12:01 AM   #126
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I think it's a give and take. You can't expect for tolreance to happen over night. Start it off by separating people with sexual orientation and then wait. It'll take a generation for full acceptance to happen. I don't have anything against homosexuals but it's still a bit of a new issue for me and it will never appear to me as natural as my children will most probably view it.

So I say do it slowly but surely. Accept others gradually but don't expect the close minded to open their minds over night.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:09 AM   #127
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Likewise.

The undisclosed sexual orientation allows for comfortableness. Because it's undisclosed. If it were (unintentionally) disclosed as in the case of the woman I assure you there would more cautiousness on the part of the person who feels he might be peeped on.

you've just defeated yourself.

you can't not disclose what gender you are, but sexual orientation isn't an issue in a locker room setting.

nor is it in a scouting situation.

and, likewise, the issue, were there to be one on a case of disclosure, is YOURS, THE STRAIGHT PERSON'S to deal with. you have no right, whatsoever, to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation (this nonsense of 'gay' tents) is no different than white people feeling uncomfortable going to school with black people, sitting in the front of the bus with black people, etc.

it's something you need to get over.

[q]I'm sure a man who is told that a lesbian will shower with him would feel comfortable. But if the lesbian knows he is straight I assure you she wouldn't move as freely as she would otherwise.[/q]

you've precisely proved my point. again.

it's gender/anatomy that's the issue and the basis for segregtion of locker rooms, NOT sexual orientation.

again: how hard is this?

Quote:
Don't take my word for it. Ask people you know. It's logical. You only disagree with me because you don't want to grant the fact that I'm right about something. Ask people you know and then you'll see I'm right.

this is really pathetic. it's as if you think i don't have any straight friends, didn't swim on a swim team for 15 years with mostly straight people, don't go to a gym with mostly straight people, and don't have mostly straight friends.

so i'll just let this comment speak for itself, and the insecurity it represents.

go get an argument.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:10 AM   #128
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Start it off by separating people with sexual orientation and then wait.

yes, because my viewpoint and rights don't mean shit. i make you uncomfortable! it's ME who's the problem! it's ME who should be removed from the situation until YOU warm up and begin to view me as a person. what matters is not that i'm treated equally by including me, but that other people are comfortable when i'm included!
Old 10-25-2007, 12:12 AM   #129
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I don't have anything against homosexuals
Well you'll have to admit many of the things you've said in here and in the Harry Potter thread lead many others to believe different.

It's funny how you can't take an author's word for it, but we're suppose to take yours after calling such charcters as 'tainted'.

Quote:

don't expect the close minded to open their minds over night.
This we agree on.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:34 AM   #130
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Well you'll have to admit many of the things you've said in here and in the Harry Potter thread lead many others to believe different.

It's funny how you can't take an author's word for it, but we're suppose to take yours after calling such charcters as 'tainted'.

I said time and time again that I have nothing against homosexuals and for that i believe that it was more other people's responses to my posts than my actual posts that lead you to belive that.

The "tainted" part in that other thread I explain as a poor choice of words in an angry post.

And, as I can't contribute any new ideas to this thread that I haven't already posted, I'm off.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:38 AM   #131
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

yes, because my viewpoint and rights don't mean shit. i make you uncomfortable! it's ME who's the problem! it's ME who should be removed from the situation until YOU warm up and begin to view me as a person. what matters is not that i'm treated equally by including me, but that other people are comfortable when i'm included!
And to you, I say, I'm sorry. I didn't make this world and I certainly didn't make people feel uncomfortable with a different person.

But I will say that if you want to mediate and understand you have to see other POV's besides yours and compromise.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:42 AM   #132
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I said time and time again that I have nothing against homosexuals and for that i believe that it was more other people's responses to my posts than my actual posts that lead you to belive that.
Believe me, it was your posts, not people's responses.

Just because time and time again you say something doesn't mean it's true.

I mean you didn't believe Rowling. How am I suppose to believe you when so many of your posts state otherwise?
Old 10-25-2007, 01:26 AM   #133
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
*Reads last few pages*

What...the...?

Quote:
You can't expect for tolreance to happen over night. Start it off by separating people with sexual orientation and then wait. It'll take a generation for full acceptance to happen.
Erm...how exactly do you expect people to learn tolerance and acceptance if they don't interact with people who are different from them? How in the world is separating people who are of different sexual orientations going to lead to acceptance and tolerance?

Also, you're only going to know somebody's sexual orientation if they tell you about it. You could stand in a room full of guys and not have a clue as to who's straight and who's gay unless they stated it aloud. So trying to "separate" everybody based on their sexual orientation wouldn't work unless you forced everyone to confess that information. Is that what you want to do?

And as for this deal of being uncomfortable around someone, look, if a girl you weren't interested in was constantly leering at you or trying to put some moves on you, you'd tell her to back off, right? Why can't you just do the same should a guy do it to you? If a girl hit on me I'd tell her I'm flattered but I'm sorry, I'm not interested. And I'd bet you anything that the chances are highly likely she'll apologize and leave me alone. You're really making the issue WAY more difficult than it needs to be.

Angela
Old 10-25-2007, 06:33 AM   #134
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
You can't expect for tolreance to happen over night. Start it off by separating people with sexual orientation and then wait.
And you honestly think the best way for tolerance is to ... separate people?

That worked out real well in race relations.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:43 AM   #135
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I think it's a give and take. You can't expect for tolreance to happen over night. Start it off by separating people with sexual orientation and then wait. It'll take a generation for full acceptance to happen.

fuuuuuuuuuck yah!!!!!! segregation
bring it back bitches bring it back!

replace "sexual orientation" with "race" and look how awful that reads.