City of Philadelphia Adds $199,999 to Boy Scout HQ Rent Due to Gay Ban - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2007, 04:13 PM   #61
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:15 AM
Honestly, this all comes back to irrational prejudice and uninformed stereotypes, that quite honestly I'm shocked are still pervasive in much of our society. Deep down in the minds of many (extremely ignorant) people, homosexuality and pedophilia go hand in hand, so if you're gay you must also be a lecherous creep who preys on the innocent and can't control yourself.

It's appalling that otherwise sane and rational people can be so fearful and irrational when there is plenty of evidence to show their fears are completely unfounded.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:14 PM   #62
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
this is, of course, is the logical endpoint of BEB's line of thought.

it's so fucking ridiculous. i get so insulted when straight men assume that gay men act in a locker room in the manner in which they state that they would act in a women's locker room.

I get insulted when the female/gay male liberal majority on FYM assume that a couple of random anonymous posts on an internet forum somehow represent "The Officially Sanctioned Opinion of the Straight Man" (TM).

Old 10-24-2007, 04:15 PM   #63
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

I get insulted when the female/gay male liberal majority on FYM assume that a couple of random anonymous posts on an internet forum somehow represent "The Officially Sanctioned Opinion of the Straight Man" (TM).

fair enough, but i can think of two other straight male posters who have expressed the same fears and drawn the same conclusion -- gay man in a men's room = straight men in a woman's room.

and it's crap.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:19 PM   #64
Forum Moderator

I suppose for tradition's sake, since we've had the 'locker room' discussion plenty of times before, I might as well also toss out...when was the last time you heard straight women freaking out about the possibility of lesbians being present in the women's locker room? Since that--not the presence of men (straight or gay) in the women's locker room--would be the appropriate analogy.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 10-24-2007, 04:19 PM   #65
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I also think there's a big difference of saying "i get so insulted when straight men assume..."

and

"I get so insulted that straight men assume..."

One(to me at least) means that some straight men think this way the other says all straight men think this way.

As a straight man I could easily say the first line and not feel any qualms about it.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:26 PM   #66
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
I might as well also toss out...when was the last time you heard straight women freaking out about the possibility of lesbians being present in the women's locker room? Since that--not the presence of men (straight or gay) in the women's locker room--would be the appropriate analogy.
It's not something I ever hear women freaking out about. That would be the appropriate analogy. Or sleeping in the same tent, huddling in a foxhole..whatever.

Like Irvine said, I think the conclusion is crap too. I guess it's supposed to be like "ooh, the straight ones are coming after you and your daughters too and you don't care and you are letting them" Or something like that. And I guess that was some sort of diversion because BEB didn't want to answer the questions I asked.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:15 PM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

All this locker room/tent thingy doesn't in any way justify to exclude gays and atheists entirely.

Even more so, where is the justification of barring atheists?

As said before, as a private organisation they might do so rightfully, and now have to accept their public funding and benefits be taken away.

However, could you give any reasoning to the atheist part of the story?

And seriously, what's the problem when a person is peeking you for a second? Will you get a heart attack or something? Will anything happen?

I've shared locker rooms with girls and slept in a tent with girls. Maybe I did the same with gays?
Old 10-24-2007, 05:28 PM   #68
She's the One

Local Time: 08:15 AM
Men will never effectively share restrooms with women. The wait in the line would kill them.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:04 PM   #69
Refugee

Quote:
if that's what it costs to keep the queers and godless off our boys, then so be it.
Come on Irvine, that was a low blow. lol.

No, you might think their policies are wrong, but you have to respect the freedoms afforded to a prive organization, period. So, they recieve no special treatment, fair enough.

I find it kind of weird that you guys are taking such glee in 'sticking it to the scouts', a bit hateful. A bit vengeful really.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:08 PM   #70
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by MadelynIris

No, you might think their policies are wrong, but you have to respect the freedoms afforded to a prive organization, period. So, they recieve no special treatment, fair enough.

I find it kind of weird that you guys are taking such glee in 'sticking it to the scouts', a bit hateful. A bit vengeful really.

why does an organization that, for all it's positives, still insist on teaching these wretched values?

actually, it's because i hate america and i wish we were all pot-smoking hippie communist atheists
Old 10-24-2007, 08:13 PM   #71
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Oh come on, who here isn't respecting the freedoms afforded to private organizations? In fact I've read many posts that state just that...

But why must we defend an organization that could really do well for children but would rather screw them over due to bigotries of the fathers?
Old 10-24-2007, 08:15 PM   #72
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Exactly. They can have whatever rules they want, but we can also point out when we think those rules are ludicrous and ask why they're even there.

Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy
I know you guys will probably hit the roof with this but just as there´s a boy´s tent and a girl´s tent, in order for things to work correctly there should be a "homosexual" tent.
Wow. Seriously...wow.

Yeah, people are gonna hit the roof when they hear something like that. Know why? 'Cause it doesn't make any sense.

Angela
Old 10-24-2007, 08:18 PM   #73
Blue Crack Supplier

i'd rather my daughters be led and mentored by lesbians than straight men or women.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:20 PM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

Could you point out where hate was involved?

And where do you see revenge?
Old 10-24-2007, 08:22 PM   #75
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
I suppose for tradition's sake, since we've had the 'locker room' discussion plenty of times before, I might as well also toss out...when was the last time you heard straight women freaking out about the possibility of lesbians being present in the women's locker room? Since that--not the presence of men (straight or gay) in the women's locker room--would be the appropriate analogy.
I live with two roommates. Two of us are straight, the third one is a lesbian. I don't live in fear that she's constantly checking me out or about to jump me in my sleep. I don't walk around covered up 24/7 for fear of initiating such a strong sexual response in her that she'd immediately come on to a straight woman. She doesn't look at me inappropriately, touch me inappropriately, or make strange comments. Unlike straight men, she's never grabbed my ass in public, yelled out derogatory things from her Camaro while driving past me or hooted at me while I was jogging.

Frankly were it not for the fact her girlfriend is a really loud screamer, the idea of her sex life would never even enter my mind.