City of Philadelphia Adds $199,999 to Boy Scout HQ Rent Due to Gay Ban - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2007, 07:59 AM   #136
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy

And to you, I say, I'm sorry. I didn't make this world and I certainly didn't make people feel uncomfortable with a different person.

But I will say that if you want to mediate and understand you have to see other POV's besides yours and compromise.

it's very clear what you have to do.

if you ever feel uncomfortable in a situation, be it Scouts or showering at the gym because there could be gay people somewhere, then you must remove yourself from the situation.

after all, that's what lots of white people did in the south after the schools were desegregated. they formed private Christian "academies" (memphis went to on) so they could keep their children safe from the black kids.

i suggest you do the same. you won't be able to use the Men's Room or sleep in the same tent as the other Scouts. instead, you'll have your "straights only" locker room and you can go sleep away from the rest of the group in your sleeping bag.

i'm sure that will give you great comfort.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:10 AM   #137
She's the One

Local Time: 03:17 PM
Quote:
Start it off by separating people with sexual orientation and then wait. It'll take a generation for full acceptance to happen. I don't have anything against homosexuals but it's still a bit of a new issue for me and it will never appear to me as natural as my children will most probably view it.
Start it off by separating Spanish-speaking people and then wait. It'll take a generation for full acceptance to happen. I don't have anything against Spanish-speaking people but it's still a bit of a new issue for me and it will never appear to me as natural as my children most probably will view it.

Sounds good to me. If I don't have to deal directly with Spanish-speaking people, I'll be a lot less uncomfortable. They can have their own tents, bathrooms, neighborhoods, etc. It's a win-win.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:19 AM   #138
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 10:17 AM
what the hell.

i STILL don't understand this whole 'if i shower with a gay man he will molest me' type of viewing. Are people out of their fucking mind?
Where has this 'gay people are sexual predators' come from? I've never met a gay person who is agressive and starts fondling and molesting every man in sight (while i know there are predators in ALL sexual orientations i don't prescribe to the fact that gays are more dispositioned to it) in fact I think Irvine is being quite polite here, because if I was being slighted the way that his NORMAL NATURAL CANT FUCKING CHANGE IT feelings towards another people was being talked about like this, I would hit the fucking roof.

SEPERATE gay people and straight. WHY? What is ANY resonable reason behind this idea?

Why are people so fearful of homosexual people. Oh they can't get married, or adopt kids, or be a scout leader, or shower near me, or sit near me, or LOOK AT ME etc etc
pathetic.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:29 AM   #139
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

A few years ago we went through, I guess you could call it an issue, regarding what to do when we went on our annual school campout with the gay students we had at the time. Some of the straight boys had voiced some concerns about being "bothered" or "touched" by the gay students in their tents. I'm not sure their concerns were entirely unwarranted as these were 8th and 9th grade boys and all them, gay and straight alike, had the maturity levels typical of that age group (Meaning that the straight boys were more liable to blow out of proportion the likelihood of their being "molested" in their tent and the gay boys were more liable to give their tent mates a quick "grab" or whatever just to tease them).

It wasn't really that big a deal though. There were no loud complaints and the gay students were well liked by everyone including those who quietly came to their teacher and said "Can I not be in his tent because I don't want him bothering me. . ." I can't really recall how it all worked out, except that it did work out--(the gays weren't banished to the some kind of 'gay' tent or whatever, there were just guys they could stay with where discomfort wasn't an issue). We all went on the campout and everybody had a good time and that was the end of that.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:32 AM   #140
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I've never really every been worried about stuff like "the gay guy checking me out in the shower" or whatever myself. I would feel entirely comfortable knowing there was a gay man in the locker room, shower, or tent or whatever the case may be.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:16 AM   #141
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:17 PM
The gay tent would be much cleaner... do you think it would have a discoball?
Old 10-25-2007, 09:47 AM   #142
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean
A few years ago we went through, I guess you could call it an issue, regarding what to do when we went on our annual school campout with the gay students we had at the time. Some of the straight boys had voiced some concerns about being "bothered" or "touched" by the gay students in their tents. I'm not sure their concerns were entirely unwarranted as these were 8th and 9th grade boys and all them, gay and straight alike, had the maturity levels typical of that age group (Meaning that the straight boys were more liable to blow out of proportion the likelihood of their being "molested" in their tent and the gay boys were more liable to give their tent mates a quick "grab" or whatever just to tease them).

maybe this is generational, but i can't imagine being out in 8th grade.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:32 PM   #143
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
I think it's a give and take. You can't expect for tolreance to happen over night. Start it off by separating people with sexual orientation and then wait. It'll take a generation for full acceptance to happen. I don't have anything against homosexuals but it's still a bit of a new issue for me and it will never appear to me as natural as my children will most probably view it.

So I say do it slowly but surely. Accept others gradually but don't expect the close minded to open their minds over night.
Are you seriously arguing for segregation?? Seriously?? Take a look through history: can you find any instances where segregation worked well and promoted tolerance and acceptance? Where it didn't infringe (to put it mildly) on the rights of the minority? If you're honest you're going to realize that segregation is not exactly the best way to achieve understanding and tolerance. If anything it inhibits acceptance and allows bigotry to spread.

And how exactly are people going to be more accepting of something if they never have to interact with it?

Seriously??
Old 10-25-2007, 02:33 PM   #144
Rock n' Roll Doggie

You´re right. Screw segregation. Let´s have co-ed bathrooms. Just one bathroom for both males and females.

I love how for the sake of an argument people here will magically become oblivious to logical human behavior like separating bathrooms to ensure the privacy of opposite sexual genders.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:44 PM   #145
Blue Crack Supplier

Are you serious? Who suggested co-ed bathrooms?
Old 10-25-2007, 02:47 PM   #146
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
You´re right. Screw segregation. Let´s have co-ed bathrooms. Just one bathroom for both males and females.

I love how for the sake of an argument people here will magically become oblivious to logical human behavior like separating bathrooms to ensure the privacy of opposite sexual genders.
But you're not saying opposite sexual genders. You're saying we should separate by sexual orientation. Which for the most part you have no way of knowing when a guy walks into the bathroom. Unless you're going to argue in favor of some sort of armband that gay men should be forced to wear so you can figure out which ones to be irrationally afraid of.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:53 PM   #147
The Fly

Local Time: 12:17 AM
Quote:

I take it you haven't travelled round Europe much then? You should try a Finnish sauna for instance but then again you'd have to change your mindset as there's no sexual atmosphere.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:56 PM   #148
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I love how you continue to make it seem like you're absolutely correct on this.

You have two unshakable assumptions here which are making you "magically oblivious:"

1) Because more men are rapists, men in general tend to want more sex and have less control of themselves.

2) Men are justifiably weirded out by gays.

Both assumptions are ridiculous.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:04 PM   #149
Rock n' Roll Doggie

There´s really no point in arguing with people who won´t concede the fact that some people want their privacy. I´d rather not shower in front of someone who is attracted to my gender. And so would many other people. It´s that simple. But in interference you´re a bigot for even suggesting that you want your privacy.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:11 PM   #150
Blue Crack Supplier

All I'm saying is that they shouldn't be banned from something because of your insecurities. If you are really that paranoid that they can't control themselves, then YOU should be the one who finds somewhere else to bathe, or YOU should be the one to find a different scout group. It shouldn't be their fault that you're paranoid.