Citrus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DebbieSG

Refugee
This will send you to the fruit aisle:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...cid=594&u=/nm/20030122/hl_nm/modern_scurvy_dc

my fact for the day: potato skins have lots of vitamin C

Edit: the link is a bit weird, i couldn't paste...it's a reuters story that may only be up a day...here's a quote:

"Scurvy is a relatively uncommon condition, Hermreck explained, although it tends to pop up more often among the elderly or alcoholics, who tend to have highly unbalanced diets. However, previous research has suggested that many Americans have relatively low levels of vitamin C in their blood, but the deficiencies are not extreme enough to develop into scurvy."

Last edited:
You guys don't know the scurvy stories? Gather round... :)

Scurvy is a disease caused by the lack of vitamin C. It is very, very uncommon today. It was most common during the 15-17th centuries among explorers. Case and point:

Vasco da Gama: sailed from Portugal to India. On his return trip, nearly half his men died of scurvy.

Robert Falcon Scott: tried to be the first man to the South Pole. Upon finding out he wasn't, he and his men dumped their supplied and travelled home. They were all found dead, starved, frozen, and suffering from scurvy. Guess they should have kept the oranges.

Symptoms: Weakness, joint pain, bruises from internal hemorrhage, raised red spots on the skin around the hair follicles of the legs, buttocks, arms and back, skin lesions, hemorrhaging gums, loosened teeth, painful eating.

Cause: The lack of vitamin C (ascorbic acid) in the body weakens the walls of capillaries, causing the bleeding, anemia , and general decline in health associated with scurvy.

Incidence: Infants who do not get enough vitamin C, elderly persons who neglect their diet,alcoholics, and people who are too poor to feed themselves properly are all at risk of contracting scurvy. Cigarette smokers and people with certain chronic illnesses may also suffer scurvy because of poor diet.

Treatment options: Daily doses of vitamin C. Recovery is usually quick and complete.

Prevention: Regularly eating fresh fruits and vegetables high in vitamin C will prevent scurvy, eg: Citrus fruits, tomatoes, berries such as strawberries and raspberries, raw cabbage, and potatoes

--I wouldn't worry too much guys. Most of the incidences of scurvy are after long bouts without VC...like 5 months.

Last edited:
One of the reasons I admired Captain James Cook so much when I was a kid( he was the Englishman who "discovered" Australia.
He was smart enough to not let his crew get scurvy, in the days when it was very very common. That point usually came up in information about him.
It is almost the end of summer here in Oz. Every where I look there are signs on the side of the road that say "Melons" I get quite a chuckle out of that.
I wonder if martha knows how to make wine? We have a glut of black grapes at the moment. I tried to make wine a few years ago...poooheeee YUK YUK! although the alcohol content must negate the VitC?

...we're praying for rain in east Australia
so the grapes may grow
and there may be more wine...

..if they ask who's the fool in the corner
crying
say it's....little ole wine drinking me..."

my mother used to play/sing that. teeheee. "Old dogs and children and watermelon wine..." now theres' an idea...medicinal purposes!!
We did get light rain yesterday...hooray ty MN.
"feed the world"

PS: re: Scott of the Antarctic. I think it was his group that ate their sled dogs livers, because they were starved and they thought it was the right thing to do. The livers contained Vitamin K and contributed to their madness.
Just in case you are marooned with your sled dogs some time...careful. Don't get me started...a friend of mine accompanied the last of the huskies to be taken off the Antarctic continent. They live in the USA now. He is back down south...just LOVES the place....except big chunks keep breaking off. I think our strasosphere has some kind of scurvy...few holes appearing.
Let them eat cake!!!

cass said:

I wonder if martha knows how to make wine? We have a glut of black grapes at the moment. I tried to make wine a few years ago...poooheeee YUK YUK! although the alcohol content must negate the VitC?

...we're praying for rain in east Australia
so the grapes may grow
and there may be more wine...

..if they ask who's the fool in the corner
crying
say it's....little ole wine drinking me..."

well that's the point, if a lime prevents scurvy, does a grape?

about your wine, probably an acid problem. anyway, a glass a day is supposed to be healthy

i heard Australia was having a drought, and lots of fires. thanks for that factoid about dog livers!

Vitamin C is also an essential vitamin for adrenal gland health. It is extra important to ingest plenty of Vitamin C for this reason alone, as we do tend to live in a very high stress society. Vitamin C is water soluble, and tends to be fully digested in four hours. Vitamin C supplements, thus, are best taken spread out over the day, rather than large quantities at once.

Melon

I always make jokes about my bitchy ex-roomate having scurvy. Her mom bought her like 20 cans of peaches and she never eat them and they just sat in the fridge. One day I asked her "Michelle, why don't you ever eat your peaches?" She said, "Oh I eat them every once in a while when my gums start to hurt, then they stop hurting" Now this girl had the worst diet ever, I swear 90% of it was beef and cheese, not fruits or vegitables. So I say to her, "MICHELLE, YOU HAVE SCURVY!!!!" Whenever I tell my friends about this they crack up.

for some reason or other..I am finding the word itself "scurvy" quite amusing...scurvy, scurvy, teehee, suppose it rhymes with curvy...hmmmm.
I quit smoking about 4 months ago, so it may have something to do with Vitamin C levels...gosh I feel better. A doctor I once met, couldn't emphasis the benefits of VitC enough, Archie BiglongGreeknameIcan'tspellos. He was trying to improve the health of Australian outback aboriginals( I forget which ailment in particular). For a few cents worth of vitamins he felt they could be helped. He was treated like a quack. I wonder what became of him and his dream?
Anyway ..the grape. I hate to see them wasted. I don't drink much wine, especially red( results in thumping headache). I am going to put them through the juice extractor, seeds and all.

Just have to say as I gaze at my giant dog, curled up in as tiny a ball as is possible for him at my feet, so cute...... I LOVE Gusto.

from cass:
BiglongGreeknameIcan'tspellos.

is that a German name? Turkish? i can't tell :)

hey, i wouldn't mix those seeds in with the crushed grapes. you might get a little small grape vine growing in your stomach!

this would be a tangled mess! but the protein powder, honey, poppyseed, et al ingredients are very yummy to mix in...they do it a lot here in the City where there are several juice places to get cold drinks...but the best one is in Berkeley, near the Bank of America where i exchanged some American dollars for English pounds and Irish harps, or whatever those similar coins are, i sure needed a drink after getting customer service there!

and my distant friend Claudia the Great wasn't even still employed there, since she wasn't given a medical gift for being a seasonal teller. it all revolved around the juice store there!

hola, catch you in the melting pot of this beautiful country:)

it's all Greek to me
but I do have a story...about getting your fresh vitamins and minerals.
I was at the beach a couple of weeks and noticed a young couple having lunch, sitting in deck chairs beside their Kombi camper van. It had a little kitchen area and they were eating fresh-cooked pasta. Sitting in the doorway of the van, catching some afternoon sun, was a sweet basil plant, bushy and about half a metre high. I bet they lavish a lot of love on that plant, obviously using it to garnish their pasta.It probably even had a name...I'd call it John Cleese if it was mine.
I thought that was so cute ...and sensible.

Yay for juice extractors....celery and carrot today...yum.
btw..a big black currawong( bird) is taking care of my excess grapes and a possum is getting into the mangoes. I'm going to have to wrap them in bags if I want to get any myself...it's been dry for so long here, I can't bring myself to chase the poor animals away. I leave bowls of water out at night for the bush critters.

FizzingWizzBees, your signature got cut off!

was that half a grapefruit, or the whole dam:censored: thing??

it's very expensive here on the West Coast to buy more than two or three of these very ripe, red, juicey, succulent citrus breakfast fruits. Sometimes they have three for just One dollar! I usually pick up one and save it for a future breakfast, then i drink the juice like it's a drink! then i save the rest for the breakfast that is probably the next morning. it will take several seasons before Brazil is quite the same, now that follower is building her Condo on the Rio sand. the sunsets there are so lovely ;). Maybe, if everyone prays, and says a nice psalm, a boatload of oranges from Florida will arrive plump down on the sandy, sandy and silicon rich stretch, braving the cold and inclement tides to arrive frozen and hard on the very beach in front of her bedroom. the clouds there will hardly even cast a shadow on this whole, bizarre event! then follower will read her bible and call Chris to see if Yosemite is really open in the winter, here in the Northern Clime. all this for a little fructose! the things we do for Luv :).

is anyone else willing to take our half-way frozen oranges? :huh:

Luve you all,
my pet barracuda, Elsa :)

Back
Top Bottom