Citizens Turn the Tables on US Government

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
[Q]Annoyed by the prospect of a massive new federal surveillance system, two researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology are celebrating the Fourth of July with a new Internet service that will let citizens create dossiers on government officials.

The system will start by offering standard background information on politicians, but then go one bold step further, by asking Internet users to submit their own intelligence reports on government officials -- reports that will be published with no effort to verify their accuracy.[/Q]

http://business.boston.com/business/globe/articles/2003/07/04/website_turns_tables_on_government_officials

Ok, I appreciate the irony here, but how many of us here have found that we have posted or believed something we have read out here and found it to be wrong? It has happened to me a few times here, and I felt pretty badly that my source was bogus.

However, what do you think about this project and site?

Here is the link to the GIA. Government Information Awareness

http://opengov.media.mit.edu/

Dread,

I believe this government is failing the American people.

This Administration is abusing secrecy and in the name of national security. Casting as wide of net as possible, knowing innocent people are locked up.

They maintain popularity through fear. That is very offensive to me.

You will remember New Years 2000. People over-reacted to the y2k computer melt down, which, was hyped by fear-mongers.

There were real concerns about extremists attacking American locations for terrorist goals.

A plot to blow up planes out of Los Angeles Airport was averted. This may have been bigger than 9-11. This was stopped without the Patriot Act and Homeland Security.

Politicians have already abused Homeland Security in Texas. They involved homeland security in the dispute over redistricting. Someone in Tom Delays office used the government to track a missing Texas legislator. There was an admission that a mistake had been made, because the person contacted reported it. Immediately thereafter all the evidence was destroyed.

FBI agents reported the 9-11 hi-jackers because of their flight (only, not landing) training. Because they failed here, is not justification to throw the constitution out the window.

When 9-11 happened the American people were stunned. Many believed this came without any suspicion. That the Administration had no inkling this could happen.

There was an article recently that this Administration was planning action to take Bin Laden and the Taliban out the same week he attack us. Their problem was that they could not decide if the CIA or Defense Dept. should do it.

I recently heard an interview with the General in Pakistan. He was asked about terrorism, what causes it and how it can be solved? He said at the root of all terrorism is politics and there must be a political solution for it to end.

This Administration has done two things in that direction.
As you have mentioned, removing U. S. troops from Saudi and a Palestinian / Israeli peace solution.

More secrecy will only allow them to hide their incompetence or abuse the rights of others.

Interesting points deep. Between the Patriot Act and Ashcroft's holier than thou attitude and the fact that the Bush administration will not release a report on Sept. 11, well it all seems fishy. The report for example includes potentially harmful information for the Bush administration and they want to reclassified unclassified information in the report.

Imagine what would have happened if Nixon had had tighter control of the government.

If the site does not purport that what is on it is fact, then I think its ok. Let Americans read it and judge for themselves.

Sharky,

So many people are only seeing this on a partician side.

Sure if Nixon had a Patriot Act and Homeland Security why bug the Watergate Hotel, his appointees would have had all the info they wanted.

If Clinton had his appointees in these positions, don't you think Monica would have destroyed the famous "blue dress" and there would have been no impeachment.

Perhaps, they would have leaked W's past sins. And the GOP faithful would not have even nominated W.

I understand the chain of command in the military and organizations like that, authority is not to be questioned.

I don't understand the blind faith by so many in politicians. I think all politicians (right/left/independent) should be kept in check.

Dreadsox said:
[Q]
Ok, I appreciate the irony here, but how many of us here have found that we have posted or believed something we have read out here and found it to be wrong? It has happened to me a few times here, and I felt pretty badly that my source was bogus.

Sure, for discussion purposes we may get bad information.

Newspapers have had problems with reporters? accuracy, too.

I have a bigger problem with our Government taking action where people?s lives are snuffed out on erroneous information.

Haha...the MIT Media Lab. I'm trying to get my Ph.D with them! :sexywink:

Melon

deep said:
Perhaps, they would have leaked W's past sins. And the GOP faithful would not have even nominated W.

This is true; maybe I can convince enough liberals/democrats that "God of the Modern Era" Howard Dean OPPOSES federal gun contral legislation. Howard Dean apparently wants U.S. citizens to take up their own arms and take the law in their owns arms, dispensing justice as they (or their local states) see fit.

deep said:
don't understand the blind faith by so many in politicians. I think all politicians (right/left/independent) should be kept in check.

You could say I'd lost my faith in our politicans, they all seemed like game show hosts to me. -Sting UNLESS THEY'RE LIBERALS OR DEMOCRATS!!!

~U2Alabama

Last edited:
U2Bama said:

This is true; maybe I can convince enough liberals/democrats that "God of the Modern Era" Howard Dean OPPOSES federal gun contral legislation. Howard Dean apparently wants U.S. citizens to take up their own arms and take the law in their owns arms, dispensing justice as they (or their local states) see fit.

Karl Rove has mentioned that he wanted Dean in 2004.
Rove is no fool, perhaps he is affraid of Dean's 2nd amendment stand.

I am watching C-Span, Ed Gillespie, RNC chair he just said Gore's 2nd amendment stand lost him the election.

You could say I'd lost my faith in our politicans, they all seemed like game show hosts to me. -Sting UNLESS THEY'RE LIBERALS OR DEMOCRATS!!!

~U2Alabama

Why the sreaming? caps?

Back
Top Bottom