Circumcision reduces risk of contracting HIV by 70%...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As a European woman I was surprised when I learned afew years ago that the majority of men in the US are circumcised. Its just not common practice for us. And so its interesting, if a little bizarre, to hear debates such as this, especially when people talk about "cleanliness"!
In the UK, circumcision just isn´t done (not including Jews). Its curious to me that it has become the norm in the US, and that people feel the need to cut away a part of the body. I have seen quite afew penises in my time (professionally as well as personally:wink: ) and have never seen a circumcised one, so it just goes to show that what you perceive as normal is a cultural construction.
I´m sorry, but something came to mind that I just have to ask about! :ohmy: The foreskin seems a useful piece of apparatus when it come to "working with the hands", you must need a lubricant to do this smoothly with out one, no?
okay, I understand if noone answers this question!:wink:

honeychild said:
I´m sorry, but something came to mind that I just have to ask about! :ohmy: The foreskin seems a useful piece of apparatus when it come to "working with the hands", you must need a lubricant to do this smoothly with out one, no?

on yourself, not needed. but often a good idea.

on someone else, needed.

it does seem odd that Americans who are obsessed with cleanliness -- from my experience, America is the only country where a shower each and every morning as well as the regular use of deodorant is the minimal expectation -- would view this as a potential issue when we're so clean to begin with.

Bono's American Wife said:

I do and I agree with Melon.

I would like to say more but its a bit too personal to talk about on a public forum so I'll leave it at that.

I agree with both Melon and BAW....interesting thread.
BTW my boy did not get the procedure.....I love my son.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
:yikes:

Note to self: don't get old.

An 80 year-old man was noted to use plastic saran wrap to simulate a foreskin. It worked enough to restore some sensitivity. :sexywink:

Melon

melon said:

Plus, it's also pretty much said that once you get old, you'll lose all of your sensitivity, since the foreskin's design was to maintain sensitivity throughout one's life. As it stands, circumcised men stand to progressively degenerate in sexual function as they get older.

Melon

:sad: :sad: :sad:

melon said:

Jews do have religious traditions, which I can respect.

If you think it is child abuse (a rather serious claim) then it is either child abuse always or it is not. I'm not sure you can argue that such a thing as conditional child abuse exists.

What's good for the goose and all...

anitram said:
If you think it is child abuse (a rather serious claim) then it is either child abuse always or it is not. I'm not sure you can argue that such a thing as conditional child abuse exists.

What's good for the goose and all...

The original tradition involved only the tip of the foreskin, not the 19th-20th century definition, which involved cutting it off completely, which is what we do today. The original tradition was not enough to affect sexual function in any way, so I can respect *that* tradition. Most people, however, have no excuse.

Melon

I'm mainly familiar with circumcision as something Jews do. I've always thought "egads, all that cutting without anasthesia?"

honeychild said:
:ohmy: The foreskin seems a useful piece of apparatus when it come to "working with the hands", you must need a lubricant to do this smoothly with out one, no?

hand lotion

no home should be without.

Both of my boys were circumsized in our home when they were 8 days old, in our home. They are both doing great! I don't think circumsision is barbaric at all.
Honestly, it's whatever the parents feel comfortable with.

When we had our boy this choice was given to me and after viewing a video of the procedure on a 2 day old baby...........I opted to keep my boy intact.
That video should be viewed by any parent thinking about doing this to their child, I can still recall the baby's face screaming in pain, it was horrible.
Then some stupid person told me that the baby does not feel any pain.......I almost kicked his ass.:|

melon said:

Your point?

Parenting advice, "consider the source", just like to know more about the source's "qualifications" in thiscase.

melon said:
You want to pass on the mutilation to your children, because your parents did it to you too?

Actually, mine didn't. I chose to do it later in life, when I was 21 to be exact. Highly recommend it. Sometimes parents do painful things to their children because they do in fact know what's best for them. Whether it's grounding them, or whatever. It's part of our "job". if you had kids you'd know that. Not everyone who has their kids circumcised is a mindless drone as you seem to paint them.

well, I had a friend that had his procedure done when he was 21 and he said it was soooooooooooooooo painful.....poor guy.

u2valleygirl said:

Honestly, it's whatever the parents feel comfortable with.

h021a.jpg

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Why exactly?:huh:

Why was it done ? None of your business

Why do I recommend it ? Cleaner , more hygienic, more "endurance", my wife also prefers it.

cardosino said:
Actually, mine didn't. I chose to do it later in life, when I was 21 to be exact. Highly recommend it. Sometimes parents do painful things to their children because they do in fact know what's best for them. Whether it's grounding them, or whatever. It's part of our "job". if you had kids you'd know that. Not everyone who has their kids circumcised is a mindless drone as you seem to paint them.

It's your choice to mutilate yourself. After all, if that's what you prefer, then be my guest. Some people like tattoos. Some people like tons of piercings. And for that reason, I have no problems in regards to whatever people choose to do to themselves.

But for those who regret it, they can't go back. I don't think it is the right of the parents to mangle their children, because they're too lazy to teach their children how to be clean. I also say the same thing about parents who pierce their children's ears before they're old enough to choose too. It is an optional and unnecessary procedure like any tattoo or tongue splitting.

In other words, the operative word is "choice."

Melon

:confused: The only figure i could find is that 12 % of the dutch has been mutalated and we have a lower HIV % as in africa Maybe lifestyle is far more importaint than loosing a part of gods design

melon said:

I don't think it is the right of the parents to mangle their children, because they're too lazy to teach their children how to be clean.

Again, how many kids do you have ?

Parenting advice duly noted and filed in appropriate place.

Can someone who has kids please agree with melon to stop cardosino from using this escape hatch? :|

DrTeeth said:
Can someone who has kids please agree with melon to stop cardosino from using this escape hatch? :|

Hey, if fellow parents want to post their opinions and give me parenting advice, that's cool.

I don't/can't tell Melon how to Melon's job as I'm probably not qualified. And vice-versa.

cardosino said:
Again, how many kids do you have?

So I presume you think it's okay for African parents to perform female genital mutilation? How dare we tell those parents how to raise their children. After all, until they're 18, you own your children's genitals, right?

I'll be frank. I don't think it's your right to make unnecessary bodily surgery on your children. In fact, I don't think it's any parents' right to do that. Legally, sure. Ethically, no. As I see it, when children hit 21 years old or so, and if they decide it annoys them, they can have the elective surgery on their own. After all, you made that decision yourself.

Again, it's about their *choices.* And a choice that you've made might be good for you, but it is not universally good for everyone else.

And, frankly, this goes back to a point I once noted. When it comes to telling third world countries that their practices are backwards, we have no problems pointing the fingers and then shaking our heads as to why they won't change. The fact, however, is that we're just the same: doing barbaric and illogical acts all our own.

Melon

Last edited:
DrTeeth said:

I believe Mrs. BAW already said she agreed with melon earlier in the thread and she has kids so there you go.

Back
Top Bottom