CIA name leak from White House

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

womanfish

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Surprised there's no thread on this yet.

Scares me that all of my fears and gut feelings about this administration is unfolding in front of my eyes.

It's pretty much been confirmed by as many as 6 reporters that they were contacted by 2 high ranking white house officials and were given the name of the CIA agent. Pretty much, this woman's career is over, and her life very well in danger because of this information ending up being printed in the newspaper. Just so happens the name that was leaked was the wife of the former U.S. ambassador to Iraq, who called Bush on his Uranium lie in the State of the Union Address.

If GW were anything like his father, he would be OUTRAGED! A quote from George Bush senior, was this: He said that the identity and operations of our agents are of highest priority and anyone who would reveal such information is the "Most insidious of traitors."

It is a federal crime to reveal this information, all White House officials sign paperwork before employment agreeing to this. It sounds as if Bush senior would have the person put in front of the firing squad, and yet GW doesn't even find it worth looking into.

It begs the question of why he doesn't want anyone looking into the matter. Well, actually they want the Justice Department headed up by John Ashcroft to look into it. Yeah, that seems about right. :rolleyes:

these are my issues with this story...

1. if wilson's wife was simply an analyst, then this is being blown out of proportion.

2. if wilson's wife is indeed an operative, heads should roll. whoever is found to be responsible should resign immediately, no matter who it be.

3. robert novak should have NEVER printed her name. if it's true that this was leaked to 6 different reporters, 5 of them had the common sense NOT to leak the name of a CIA employee if it were not already public knowledge. Novak claims "they asked me not to use her name, but never indicated it would endanger her or anybody else." That's a load of crap. Let's use some common sense here. Bar none, the white house official who leaked this is the biggest criminal in all this, and should be dealt with severly. however, novak is deffinetly an accomplice, and should also be held accountable

I agree that her status is important because it could mean her actual life may not be in danger, but she did supposedly work both in the field and at headquarters as an analyst. So any field contacts she had are now gone, any chance to be a future operative are over.

From what I've heard, CNN said that the other reporters who got the information didn't feel comfortable printing it. Novak actually talked on the phone with Wilson and asked him to confirm his source that his wife was working on intelligence on WMD's in Iraq. He said no he couldn't confirm that, yet Novak still went ahead and printed it.

According to the federal act that was passed in 1982 to protect Intelligence officials identities, anyone who does leak information could do 10 years and up to $50,000 in fines. So it is quite serious.

What's more serious to me is if the motivation for the leak is true. That's pretty dirty, underhanded, scary stuff. We'll have to see what's turned up. Unfortunately, the CIA has been asking for an investigation for 2 months now, and only after Wilson went to the press and journalists who were contacted came forward did the White House even begin to respond. A lot of evidence can be lost or destroyed in 2 months.

Novak shouldn't have made this stuff public. Why did he think he had the right to do this? If the lady is indeed an operative then they should grab the person who leaked this stuff and kick him or her out on their ass. The whole thing stinks.

What is interesting is I referenced the ambassador in one of my debates a long time ago in one of the other threads. I remember my disgust that his wife was dragged into it.

The CIA is not going to say she was a covert operative. Why would they, it would blow the cover of other people if they admitted it.

This reminds me of the leaks during the campaign process of McCain's dark colored children going into South Carolina.

It is dirty politics.....and it sucks....that an agent of the governement was put on the line by someone.

Time for an independant council. I support it.

The Most Insidious Of Traitors

William Rivers Pitt is a New York Times best-selling author of two books, War On Iraq (Context Books) and The Greatest Sedition is Silence (Pluto Press).

"Even though I'm a tranquil guy now at this stage of my life, I have nothing but contempt and anger for those who betray the trust by exposing the name of our sources. They are, in my view, the most insidious of traitors." -- George Herbert Walker Bush, 1999

Karl Rove, senior political advisor to George W. Bush, is a very powerful man. That is not to say he has never been in trouble. Rove was fired from the 1992 Bush Sr. campaign for trashing Robert Mosbacher, Jr., who was the chief fundraiser for the campaign and an avowed Bush loyalist. Rove accomplished this trashing of Mosbacher by planting a negative story with columnist Bob Novak. The campaign figured out that Karl had done the dirty deed, and he was given his walking papers.

Demonstrably, Rove is back in the saddle again. The January 2003 edition of Esquire magazine carried an article by Ron Suskind which quoted comments from John DiIulio, a domestic policy advisor to the White House who had just retired from his post. On October 24, DiIulio had sent a letter to Suskind describing what he had seen while working for the Bush administration. The meat of the letter described an administration far, far more interested in raw political triangulation and ruthless spin than in actual policy and government functionality. Some excerpts from DiIulio's letter:

"Some are inclined to blame the high political-to-policy ratios of this administration on Karl Rove... some staff members, senior and junior, are awed and cowed by Karl's real or perceived powers. They self-censor lots for fear of upsetting him, and, in turn, few of the president's top people routinely tell the president what they really think if they think that Karl will be brought up short in the bargain. Karl is enormously powerful, maybe the single most powerful person in the modern, post-Hoover era ever to occupy a political advisor post near the Oval Office."
Even a casual political observer would have trouble missing the fact that this is one of the sharpest political outfits ever to reside in the Oval Office. Bush's team is a unified wall, cemented to their message-of-the-day, and they have done very well for themselves because of this. All of this can be laid at the feet of Karl Rove, the senior political advisor to George W. Bush. According to DiIulio, the preeminence of political considerations within this administration is so complete that any and all policy considerations or contemplation of actual issues are not so much in the back seat as they are in the trunk below the spare tire and the jack. This, again, can be laid at the feet of Mr. Rove.

All of Washington and the country has been buzzing for the last few days over a report that the CIA has asked the Justice Department to investigate the White House regarding a matter of important national security. The wife of a former ambassador named Joseph Wilson, it has been alleged, was "outed" as an active CIA agent to columnist Robert Novak by this White House in an act of political revenge.

Joseph Wilson was the man dispatched to Niger in February of 2002 by the CIA, after Vice President Dick Cheney asked CIA to figure out whether there was any substance to the charge that Iraq was attempting to procure uranium "yellow cake" from that nation for the purpose of starting a nuclear weapons program. Ambassador Wilson went, investigated, and returned eight days later to state flatly that the evidence was garbage. He has claimed since that his analysis was one of three intelligence reports debunking the Niger story. Ambassador Wilson told this to Cheney's office, the CIA, the State Department, and the National Security Council. Despite the fact that Wilson made it clear that these allegations were untrue -- it was revealed that the 'evidence' to support the Niger uranium charge was a pile of crudely forged documents -- George W. Bush used the Niger uranium evidence dramatically in his 2003 State of the Union address.

In July, Ambassador Wilson went very public, criticizing the White House for using evidence to support war that they knew was patently false. One week later, Robert Novak reported that Wilson's wife, Valerie Plame, was a CIA operative. As it turns out, two senior White House officials cold-called six different journalists and informed them of Valerie Plame's status as a CIA agent, according to an anonymous administration official quoted by The Washington Post. None of the journalists ran the story. That same administration official was quoted about these revelations as saying, "Clearly, it was meant purely and simply for revenge." Joseph Wilson likewise charges that this act was done as an act of revenge for his vocal criticism of George W. Bush and the administration's actions leading up to the Iraq war. Specifically, he views Karl Rove as being possibly involved in, or at least condoning, the cutting down of his wife.

The facts of this story are singularly grotesque. Taken at the top layer, you have a White House that appears perfectly willing to go after the family members of its critics. Valerie Plame's career is destroyed, period. The act itself displays a level of viciousness that is dangerous to the functioning of this, or any, democracy.

Peel the second layer and you discover the rank illegality of it all. Section 421 of the Intelligence Identities Protection Act of 1982 reads as follows:

"Whoever, having or having had authorized access to classified information that identifies a covert agent, intentionally discloses any information identifying such covert agent to any individual not authorized to receive classified information, knowing that the information disclosed so identifies such covert agent and that the United States is taking affirmative measures to conceal such covert agent's intelligence relationship to the United States, shall be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both."

The third layer is where the darkness truly lurks, and where the deadly importance of this situation lies. Valerie Plame was not simply an analyst or a data cruncher. She was an operative running a network dedicated to tracking any person or nation that might try to give weapons of mass destruction to terrorists. That sentence deserves to be written twice. She was an operative running a network dedicated to tracking any person or nation that might try to give weapons of mass destruction to terrorists.

The Bush administration pushed very hard the idea that America is in danger from WMD being placed into the hands of terrorists. This was one of the central arguments behind the war in Iraq. Yet in order to protect Bush's political standing, a couple of "administration officials" blew Valerie Plame, and by proxy her network, completely out of the water in an attempt to shut her husband up. In short, in order to protect Bush from the ramifications of using fake evidence to support his war, this White House destroyed an intelligence network that was protecting us from the threat posed by chemical, biological, and nuclear weapons.

We are less safe now that Valerie Plame is no longer performing this vital task, and the members of her network are in mortal danger of being revealed and destroyed. Beyond that, we are facing a level of hypocrisy that shatters any and all previously known boundaries. This administration ginned up a war in Iraq based upon manufactured evidence and wildly overstated threats, all of which was painted over with rhetoric about defending the country from terrorists and weapons of mass destruction. The fate of Valerie Plame, and her network, shows without doubt that the moral standing of this administration is as empty as Saddam Hussein's WMD cache.

In Ambassador Wilson's words, "Naming her this way would have compromised every operation, every relationship, every network with which she had been associated in her entire career. This is the stuff of Kim Philby and Aldrich Ames."

The current spin from administration defenders within and without the mainstream media is that Valerie Plame was only an analyst, and not an operative. This, somehow, is supposed to lessen the blow of an administration willing to attack the families of its critics. Yet the characterization of Plame as an analyst is factually incorrect. For one, Robert Novak himself indicated that she was an operative in the original report that birthed this scandal. "Wilson never worked for the CIA," wrote Novak, "but his wife, Valerie Plame, is an Agency operative on weapons of mass destruction."

Ray McGovern, who was for 27-years a senior analyst for the CIA, further confirms the status of Plame within the CIA. "I know Joseph Wilson well enough to know," said McGovern in a telephone conversation we had today, "that his wife was in fact a deep cover operative running a network of informants on what is supposedly this administration's first-priority issue: Weapons of mass destruction."

McGovern further elaborated on the damage done when such an agent has their cover blown. "This causes a great deal of damage," said McGovern. "These kinds of networks take ten years to develop. The reason why they operate under deep cover is that the only people who have access to the kind of data we need cannot be associated in any way with the American intelligence community. Our operatives live a lie to maintain these networks, and do so out of patriotism. When they get blown, the operatives themselves are in physical danger. The people they recruit are also in physical danger, because foreign intelligence services can make the connections and find them. Operatives like Valerie Plame are real patriots."

Mr. Rove has done this kind of thing before, specifically using Robert Novak in that one notable attempt to cut down Mosbacher. Rove is a disciple of the undisputed heavyweight champion of political assassins, Lee Atwater, and has often reached into a deep bag of dirty tricks to accomplish his political ends. He knows no ideology beyond power, and has no bones about using it to wreak havoc on anyone who gets in his crosshairs. The Esquire article about DiIulio finds him recounting a singular Rove moment, as he overheard a conversation happening in another room: "Inside, Rove was talking to an aide about some political stratagem in some state that had gone awry and a political operative who had displeased him. I paid it no mind and reviewed a jotted list of questions I hoped to ask. But after a moment, it was like ignoring a tornado flinging parked cars. 'We will fuck him. Do you hear me? We will fuck him. We will ruin him. Like no one has ever fucked him!'"

Guess who was doing the cursing and threatening.

One last bit of inside baseball. When the Niger scandal erupted, the Bush administration went out of its way to blame the CIA for the mess, despite the fact that the CIA, along with the entire intelligence community, had been cut out of the loop by Don Rumsfeld's Office of Special Plans. The OSP, and its pet Iraqi Ahmad Chalabi, became the source for all of the information regarding Iraq's weapons capabilities, and a number of intelligence insiders have publicly blamed that group for the preponderance of highly erroneous data about Iraq. For the Bush administration to completely usurp the CIA by depending solely on data manufactured by the Office of Special Plans, and then to turn around and blame CIA when the OSPs data did not turn out to be true, is as insane as it is laughable. Yet this is what they have done. The CIA's calling for this investigation is nothing more or less than the Agency defending itself, proving out the oft-repeated warning that one scapegoats the CIA at their mortal peril.

Also, the fact that this data came to The Washington Post from a White House official means that another Deep Throat may have just been born.

The White House has denied the allegation, and promises a full investigation. A great many people find it laughable to believe this White House is capable of investigating itself, and are demanding an independent investigation. A quick look at the White House telephone logs will reveal who called whom, and when. It may well be the case that Rove was not involved; there are several administration officials -- Cheney, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, Perle, Rice, Card -- along with a constellation of administration associates and media mouthpieces, who had a vested interest in shutting Ambassador Wilson's mouth. The White House phone logs will be revelatory. If this administration fails to hand those logs over, they will stand in taint of high treason.

J'accuse.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
these are my issues with this story...

1. if wilson's wife was simply an analyst, then this is being blown out of proportion.

FORMER CIA OFFICIAL TELLS PBS: OUTED OFFICER 'HAS BEEN UNDER COVER FOR THREE DECADES'

A former counter-terrorism official at the CIA and the State Department claimed Tuesday night that outed CIA agent "Valerie Plame" was under cover for three decades and was not a "CIA analyst" as columnist Bob Novak has suggested.

Larry Johnson made the charge on PBS's NEWSHOUR.

"I worked with this woman. She started training with me. She has been under cover for three decades."

[The WASH POST reported on Wednesday that "Valerie Plame" is 40 years old]

MORE

Johnson continues: She is not as Bob Novak suggested a "CIA analyst." Given that, i was a CIA analyst for 4 years. I was under cover. I could not divulge to my family outside of my wife that I worked for the CIA unti I left the Intelligence Agency on Sept. 30, 1989. At that point I could admit it. The fact that she was under cover for three decades and that has been divulged is outrageous. She was put undercover for certain reasons. One, she works in an area where people she works with overseas could be compromised...

"For these journalists to argue that this is no big deal... and if I hear another Republican operative suggesting that, well, this was just an analyst. Fine. Let them go undercover. Let's put them go overseas. Let's out them and see how they like it...

"I say this as a registered Republican. I am on record giving contributions to the George Bush campaign. This is not about partisan politics. This is about a betrayal, a political smear, of an individual who had no relevance to the story. Publishing her name in that story added nothing to it because the entire intent was, correctly as Amb. Wilson noted, to intimidate, to suggest taht there was some impropriety that somehow his wife was in a decision-making position to influence his ability to go over and savage a stupid policy, an erroneous policy, and frankly what was a false policy of suggesting that there was nuclear material in Iraq that required this war. This was about a political attack. To pretend it was something else, to get into this parsing of words.

"I tell you, it sickens me to be a Republican to see this."

I don't doubt Karl Rove is heavily involved. What surpirses me is that this story broke a couple of months ago, but until Bush's numbers started to fall no one followed up on it.

This part just amazes me and blows Dubyah's strength in homeland security if it is publicized enough.

"The third layer is where the darkness truly lurks, and where the deadly importance of this situation lies. Valerie Plame was not simply an analyst or a data cruncher. She was an operative running a network dedicated to tracking any person or nation that might try to give weapons of mass destruction to terrorists. That sentence deserves to be written twice. She was an operative running a network dedicated to tracking any person or nation that might try to give weapons of mass destruction to terrorists.

The Bush administration pushed very hard the idea that America is in danger from WMD being placed into the hands of terrorists. This was one of the central arguments behind the war in Iraq. Yet in order to protect Bush's political standing, a couple of "administration officials" blew Valerie Plame, and by proxy her network, completely out of the water in an attempt to shut her husband up. In short, in order to protect Bush from the ramifications of using fake evidence to support his war, this White House destroyed an intelligence network that was protecting us from the threat posed by chemical, biological, and nuclear weapons."

womanfish said:

What's more serious to me is if the motivation for the leak is true. That's pretty dirty, underhanded, scary stuff. We'll have to see what's turned up. Unfortunately, the CIA has been asking for an investigation for 2 months now, and only after Wilson went to the press and journalists who were contacted came forward did the White House even begin to respond. A lot of evidence can be lost or destroyed in 2 months.

Exactly.

I feel horrible for Valerie who has dedicated her life to such a scary and high-risk job. For her to be so backstabbed and her life and work to be used as a political pawn for Bush is SICKENING.

Never MIND what ScarletWine just posted about - how betraying her betrayed every North American citizen against the promise to seek those w/ WMD. To me this further leads to the fact that WMD weren't our main priority in Iraq. If it were, they wouldn't be so damn inconsistent in wanting to stop WMD. :rant:

But how many times can I say something is "SICKENING" about the Bush admin? :tsk: :rolleyes:

paxetaurora said:
::waiting to see how the Bushies defend this one::

What is there to defend at this point? A leak came from somewhere in the administration (not necessarily the White House). The leak is a crime which should be prosecuted fully.

All we are waiting for is a title to the scandal (i.e., _____gate). I think Democrats have backed off the initial politicalization of the matter where Karl Rove was named as the potential source.

If the criminal investigation does not produce results, independent counsel may be necessary.

Well it looks like the right wing media went into full defense mode yesterday. I flipped around to several cable and network news channels yesterday and last night, and saw about 6 seperate pieces on the CIA leak. 1 out of the 5 was fair-handed, asking tough questions and getting answers from both sides. The other 5, were all blatantly conservative, shamelessly defending and playing down the severity of the charges.

The worst one was on CNN where they actually had Novak on. They read a quote from him which said (in quotes - printed on the screen) "I never went looking for this information, I was contacted with it" "I didn't go digging for it, it was given to me"
Novak said - I never said that - that's not in quotes is it? And the guy doing the interview, seeming like he didn't want to embarrass Novak or get into a confrontation said, "uh no, it's not ALL in quotes" and they brushed that off and moved on.

Novak has WAY to many inconsistencies in his story for me to believe him.

nbcrusader said:

All we are waiting for is a title to the scandal (i.e., _____gate).

I hereby recommend "Spygate" :wink: It's just got a ring to it.

How long do you think until we hear, "What did the President know, and when did he know it?"

Here we go again,
SD

paxetaurora said:
::waiting to see how the Bushies defend this one::

And that is the difference.....

Most of the so called "Bushies" (nice label) would not defend the administration on this. This is not about politics in this Bushies mind. This is about right and wrong as was Clinton lying under oath. That said this charge against this White House is indeed more serious a charge. As someone who is considered a "Bushie" by many in here maybe the silence is because we do not waste time defending something that is clearly wrong. Maybe because unlike the "Billaries" on this board, we are not turning a blind eye to the truth.

As of now, I agree with NB...what is there to defend just yet.

Peace

Yes there is. A White House employee has stated to the media that the leak came from the White House Admin. We need a special counsel now.

http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=16886

The Ties That Blind

By Jeremy Scahill and Amy Goodman, Democracy Now!
October 2, 2003

There's an old saying that you should never let a fox guard the henhouse. The same could be said of the investigation into the latest White House scandal. Attorney General John Ashcroft is refusing to appoint an independent prosecutor to investigate who in the administration leaked the name of a CIA operative to journalists. This despite the fact that Ashcroft has long-standing ties to one of the main suspects: President Bush's top political advisor Karl Rove.

"I think it's very difficult on its surface for John Ashcroft to be taken seriously as an investigator," said James Moore, author of 'Bush's Brain: How Karl Rove Made George W. Bush Presidential', in an interview with Democracy Now! "In this case, there is a close relationship between someone who is a high profile suspect and the individual who is leading the investigation of him. And it immediately goes to the question of credibility and validity of that particular investigation."

Rove has been accused of leaking the identity of CIA operative Valerie Plame, in retaliation for her husband, veteran diplomat Joseph Wilson, blowing the whistle on the Bush administration's charge that Saddam Hussein attempted to import uranium for nuclear weapons from Niger.

Rove is best known as the driving force behind Bush's taking of the presidency, but he also worked for Ashcroft over the course of two decades. "It goes all the way back to the mid 1980's when John Ashcroft first ran for governor and then when he ran for the United States Senate against Mel Carnahan," says Moore. "Karl was so intimately involved."

Not only did Rove work for Ashcroft in the 80s, but he was one of the main forces behind Ashcroft's controversial appointment to the job he currently holds, attorney general. Rove lobbied intensely for his former employer's nomination after Ashcroft lost his senate seat to a dead man, the late Mel Carnahan.

While Ashcroft was not Bush's first choice for attorney general, Rove reportedly told Bush that spilling some blood over the nomination of the fiercely right-wing Ashcroft was "a no-lose proposition."

Just as George W. Bush profited handsomely from the building of a stadium for his Texas Rangers baseball team, Karl Rove cashed in from the successful campaign in St. Louis to get a stadium built. The governor who signed the legislation?

John Ashcroft.

Now attorney general, Ashcroft is refusing to hand over the reigns of the criminal investigation of his political ally, former employee and longtime advisor, Karl Rove.

For the past several days, the White House has been besieged with questions on the "burning" of CIA operative Valerie Plame. Press secretary Scott McClellan and other officials have offered only carefully worded and non-specific responses to reporters' questions as to who leaked the identity of Wilson's wife.

"It is impossible for any of us to believe that this happened without Karl knowing about it," says author James Moore. "When you cross this man in the political arena, he gets even; and he gets even in a way that he doesn't just defeat you, he is compelled to destroy you. He doesn't know how to do a measured response when he is angry, and so he leaks information about people that destroys them."

According to the latest Washington Post-ABC poll, 69% of Americans believe there should be a special counsel independent of the administration investigating the White House leak. Yet, in his only news conference to date on the issue, Ashcroft stood firm that his office will oversee the investigation. "The prosecutors and agents who are and will be handling this investigation are career professionals with extensive experience in handling matters involving sensitive national security information and with experience relating to investigations of unauthorized disclosures of such information."

At the Justice Department news conference, a reporter attempted to question Ashcroft further, "Can you at least say what assurances you can give people that the matter will be handled independently without... "

Ashcroft interrupted, "Are there other questions today?"

Yes there are. But an independent counsel should be asking them. "

Now there's Foreign journalists saying the President joked about the matter to them at a fund raiser.

Please. There is no evidence that Karl Rove leaked the name. His name was only offered as political ammunition. This is poor journalism.

Dreadsox said:

And that is the difference.....

Most of the so called "Bushies" (nice label) would not defend the administration on this. This is not about politics in this Bushies mind. This is about right and wrong as was Clinton lying under oath. That said this charge against this White House is indeed more serious a charge. As someone who is considered a "Bushie" by many in here maybe the silence is because we do not waste time defending something that is clearly wrong. Maybe because unlike the "Billaries" on this board, we are not turning a blind eye to the truth.

As of now, I agree with NB...what is there to defend just yet.

Peace

This is funny. I don't know one Democrat that would say what Clinton did was not wrong. Hell yes it was wrong and stupid. But it was about his personal sex life. To me it just wasn't that big of a deal. Just like I don't think the Arnold Schwarzenegger stuff is a big deal, even though I don't like Arnold that much. Interesting part is, Republicans made such a huge deal out of Clinton being a womanizer and having a sordid past with women, and now they are trying to put someone into office with an even worse track record and saying it's no big deal.

Anyway, that aside, what I am seeing on this CIA issue from lots of the media and from interviews with Republican senators is that they say if something was done wrong they should be punished, but this isn't a big deal, it didn't include anyone of any significance, etc...

THey are hoping it will go away before it leads to the higher reaches of the White House. So far the speculation and leads go one step below Cheney. Sounds pretty serious to me.

womanfish said:

This is funny. I don't know one Democrat that would say what Clinton did was not wrong. Hell yes it was wrong and stupid. But it was about his personal sex life. To me it just wasn't that big of a deal. Just like I don't think the Arnold Schwarzenegger stuff is a big deal, even though I don't like Arnold that much. Interesting part is, Republicans made such a huge deal out of Clinton being a womanizer and having a sordid past with women, and now they are trying to put someone into office with an even worse track record and saying it's no big deal.

I am not interested in wrecking this thread with a debate on sex lives. I do not view the Schwarzenegger or the Clinton situations as irrelevant. If they sexually assaulted and harrassed women, and the woman chooses to go forth with a suit, they both have an obligation to tell the truth when in court. It is not about sex life to me, it is about the oath to uphold the law that the President takes. When you lie under oath in court, you break the law, and there are consequences for that.

As there are in is situation. I do not believe the White House can investigate itself. I am 100% for an independant council, and I want those responsible for breaking the law, punished. That is of course, if there was anyone breaking the law. This horrifies me as much as if not more than the Clinton situation because this is an attack on a person who has dedicated their life to the service of their country that has been harmed by someone's actions.

Said my Peace.

Bushie Out

nice response dread. True enough, it's a serious issue just like Clinton was. I just sometimes feel more strongly about this whole thing because it deals with national security, and the lives of so many. But both are important.

i apologize for all of my typos....they are messing with my migrane meds again and I seem to be having a hard time here.

Peace

I think this tidbit adds to the need for independant counsel.

Justice Department granted White House delay on order to preserve records in CIA exposure scandal
Nina Totenberg Oct 2nd report aired on 6 am on Morning Edition; NPR dropped segmant from transcript of her report

On October, 2, 2003, Nina Totenberg gave the following report (thanks to Robert E. Reynolds for the following transcription, which I verified by listening to the audio of the Totenberg report.) Buzzflash.com carried the transcript of the original account, and Reynolds suggested that people go to the NPR site and download the transcript. By doing so, I discovered that NPR had stricken the following paragraph that dealt with the Justice Department granting a White House request for a delay in a directive to preserve records of communications.

The missing segment of Totenberg's report:

Bob Edwards: Attorney General Ashcroft is resisting the idea of some sort of independent counsel. Do you think he'll be able to maintain that position?

NPR legal correspondent, Nina Totenberg: Well no administration ever wants an independent overseer, and there are very good career people who are in charge of this investigation, but it could get hairy. Yesterday I talked to a former justice department official who wondered to me why the White House had asked the Justice Department if they could wait a day, earlier this week, before directing the White House staff to preserve all phone and email records, and why, similarly, the Justice Department had agreed to let the White House wait that day. In the last analysis career people can't make some of the decisions that will have to be made, like whether to call a reporter before a grand jury. The Attorney General under Justice (Department) regulations is required to make that decision. A career person can't make it. And if a leaker is identified and not prosecuted it could raise problems with the CIA. Will the agency believe that a decision not to prosecute was made fairly, or will it, as one former Justice Department official put it to me, open a chasm of distrust between the two agencies. As I said no administration likes to open itself up to outside investigators. And the temperature isn't that hot yet, despite that poll you cited at the beginning, but it could get that hot, and we just can't know right now whether the temperature will get that hot for a long time and make it impossible to continue the course that the administration now has chosen to take.

What we are seeing is only a ripple on the surface of much deeper events within the U.S. Government. This is as much about a growing rift between factions deep within the intelligence, military, and other communities as it is about the leak. The leak is only the ripple we see on the surface. Ever since the White House formed it's own intelligence office called the Office of Special Plans (OPS) after 9/11, there has been a growing rift within the intelligence and military communities. It is a rift that is growing into a war, especially after the administration bullied the CIA and nailed the yellowcake info on Tenet. And Tenet is under a LOT of pressure from within his community. The same rift exists within the Pentagon, and it is likely even the guys who *really* run the intelligence show in town, the ONI, are deeply involved. I personally think this is one of the most interesting and certainly most important stories to come around in a LONG time. My 2 cents.

I totally agree with you. The admins. drums for war have made the Intelligence community look bad, the DOD has made the State Dept. look unnecessary and senior people have quit, and Rummy has been alienating the Pentagon with his arrogance and ovcerriding and deriding of military men.

I think it has neared an eruption point and Bush can no longer keep a lid on it.

Good grief. This *is* interesting. I'm not surprised that military people are pissed off at Rummy and other disputes are going on. What will the upshot be?

Last edited:
Are these just liars with the lowest character?

White House Says Three Senior Aides Innocent in Leak

Tue October 7, 2003 03:25 PM ET

By Randall Mikkelsen

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The White House on Tuesday said it had ruled out three senior aides as possible sources for a leak disclosing the name of a CIA operative and President Bush said the case may never be resolved.

"I have no idea whether we'll find out who the leaker is," Bush told reporters after he met with his Cabinet. "I'd like to. I want to know the truth."

Bush spoke ahead of a 5 p.m. White House deadline on Tuesday for officials to turn over information wanted by Justice Department investigators probing the leak, which has become the latest controversy surrounding Bush's decision to go to war against Iraq.

Spokesman Scott McClellan said senior Bush political aide Karl Rove, vice presidential chief of staff Lewis Libby and National Security Council senior director Elliott Abrams had each denied leaking the name of CIA operative Valerie Plame.

Plame's husband, former diplomat Joseph Wilson, had publicly opposed Bush on a key element of his case for war and has accused the administration of disclosing Plame's name in retaliation.

McClellan said he talked to each of the three officials in response to news reports they may have been involved in the leak. "They were not involved in leaking classified information, nor did they condone it," McClellan said.

Abrams pleaded guilty in 1991 of lying to Congress in the Iran-Contra controversy, and was pardoned by former President George Bush.

Democratic U.S. Rep. John Conyers of Michigan urged Rove to resign. In a letter to the Bush aide, Conyers accused him of seeking to give the leak "wider currency" even if he may not have been the source.

Bush said he did not know whether the criminal probe, begun after a CIA request, would find who leaked Plame's name.

"I've instructed this staff of mine to cooperate fully with the investigators, full disclosure," he said. But he said Washington was "full of people who like to leak information," and the media was practiced at protecting sources.

POLITICAL DAMAGE FOR BUSH?

The issue has threatened further political damage for Bush, whose poll standing has been hurt by continued instability in Iraq following the U.S.-led invasion in March.

Wilson has accused the administration of leaking Plame's name after he criticized Bush claims that Iraq had tried to acquire nuclear-weapons material in Africa.

The claims, which had been investigated by Wilson in Niger in a mission for the CIA, were part of Bush's case for war but the White House later said the evidence was unsubstantiated.

Tuesday's deadline was self-imposed by the White House, in response to a Justice Department order.

White House Chief of Staff Andy Card on Tuesday urged "thorough, diligent and timely" compliance in a memo to staffers.

"The sooner we complete the search and delivery of documents, the sooner the Justice Department can complete its inquiry -- and the sooner we can all return our full attention to doing the work of the people," Card said.

White House counsel Alberto Gonzales last week directed staffers to hand over any records relating to Wilson and Plame or Wilson's trip to Niger.

Also sought were records of contacts with columnist Robert Novak, who disclosed Plame's CIA job in July, and Timothy M. Phelps and Knut Royce of Newsday, who cited intelligence officials as confirming Novak's story.

McClellan said responses would be collected by Gonzales's office before being turned over. The White House was unlikely to give the investigators any material on Tuesday, he said.

He said the Justice Department had set a variety of deadlines over the next two weeks.

nbcrusader said:
Please. There is no evidence that Karl Rove leaked the name. His name was only offered as political ammunition. This is poor journalism.

Are you saying he would not do something like this?

Back
Top Bottom