Christmas Break

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonosSaint

Rock n' Roll Doggie
This is meant as much as a break from Christmas as a break for it.

1. What was your worst Christmas, Channukah, etc. present?
2. If you HAD to pick another religion besides your own, what
would you pick and why?
3. Do you make New Year's resolutions? If so, have you kept
any?
4. What is your preferred element--fire, water, air, earth and
why?
5. In all honesty, what is the first quality (qualities) you look for
in a potential lover?
6. Who plays you in the movie of your life? (You can't)
7. What superpower would you like to have?
8. Are you as kind in your personal relationships (friends,
family, coworkers) as you are to strangers? Or is it easier
to feel good being kind to strangers since it is less
complicated and there is no longterm commitment?
9. Do you think that most people who have power or influence
use it as a weapon or a tool? Social and personal.

I was given disposable razors this week.

would you pick and why?

Muslim. I think that it most closely resembles my beliefs.

any?

Yes, and I have kept some of them.

why?

Fire, becasue I am a hunka hunka burning love.

in a potential lover?

I really hope she looks like my wife or I am in trouble.

Alfred E. Newman.

X-Ray eyes.....

I find it easier to be kind to strangers. I will sell the shirt off my back to help almost anyone.

Not intentionally, but they do. I think power corrupts and absolute power corrupts...absolutely.

A sweater from my grandmother when I was a kid that was like 4 sizes too small, she always preferred her other grandchildren. It really hurts when people show that via gifts. When you're sensitive things like that stay with you.

would you pick and why? maybe Baptist, I don't know. It just seems cool :wink: not that I know that much about it

any?

Yes I do, haven't kept that many at all. One I have this year is to not let myself feel/ be used by people and discarded like trash

why?

Water-I love the ocean, it's one of the few things that relaxes me, and I love baths and showers

in a potential lover?

well being the fact that it always ends up being potential..I'd say kindness, sensitivity, honesty about feelings, patient, treats me with genuine respect, intelligent, doesn't screw around with my feelings, doesn't make me feel second best, understanding, has beautiful eyes :wink:

Jennifer Connelly

the power to eliminate all suffering of all kinds

It is easier to be kind to strangers most times, most often the people who hurt us the most are friends and family

I think the people who use it as a weapon get the attention, I like to be naive enough to think there are still more people who use it as a tool for good

Great thread as usual :)

Last edited:
Thanks, Mrs. S. :wink: I'm sorry about the disposable razors, Dread.:huh:

1. Worst Christmas present:
Tossup between the regifted Hickory Farms set and
a Precious Moments figurine.

2. Other religion:
Something pagany, without any rituals. I hate rituals.

3. New Year's Resolutions:
I don't make them anymore because I don't keep them.
But I do kind of an evaluation this time of year.

4. Preferred Element:
Water. Love the feel, the taste, the sound of it.
Followed fairly closely by air. Love the wind.

5. Potential lover qualities:
Eyes, physical presence, intensity, sense of humor,
voice.

6. Who plays me:
Young Vanessa Redgrave.

7. What superpower:
I'd love to fly.

8. I can be kind to strangers. But I make an effort to be kinder
to those closest to me.

9. Power--weapon or tool.
I think you can tell the character of a person by how they
handle their power or influence. I admire immensely those
who use it wisely. However, I think most people use it
to push their own way, to benefit themselves, to crush,
to avenge petty grievances. I think in most cases power
makes people petty, self important, and in many cases,
downright cruel. And sometimes the absolute worst are the
people who get a little power.

BonosSaint said:

would you pick and why?
any?
why?
in a potential lover?

1. n/a
2. n/a
3. I don't really make new years resolutions. Or, I haven't had to :hmm:
4. Astrologically speaking, I'm a mix of all of those 4, heh. To be simple, and not so thoughtly, :hmm:..... uh, either water, wind, or earth. Probably water or wind, or just feng shui *rimshot*
5. Face. I'm a guy, and from a distance, faces are what get me. I like expressive faces. But then it's the mouth, because what comes out of that really makes a difference. And then it's the body, because actions speak louder than words, to be cliche......
6. Damn, I don't know. Depp? Who is good enough to play ME :confused: :uhoh: :wink:
7. To go without sleep, definitely. that would make things a lot easier. That, and the ability to communicate masterfully and understand others, and in doing so, share my super power. Oh, and, like superstrength or wolverine claws/skeleton/immune system, etc... that would be cool too.
8. If someone is on my true inner circle, which consists of maybe 2 people, but not really by choice (family), then they have access to everything I have, and I am most giving towards them. The further out from this, the less people get, and the colder I am. If I don't know you, I will still try to be respectful, but I'm very much an apparently private person, from afar.
9. heh......

well, to answer the question inside the box... uh..... most people use it as a tool for themselves...

1 // Hmm... hard choice... I think that the worst thing I've received, when I was younger, was a Rubicube. I like them now but when you are 7 or 8, you don't really give a... about that thing ahahah.
2 // Tao Te King (also know as taoism) or Bouddhism.
3 // I already did but I have none this year. I usualy try to keep them but it's not really succesful ;)
4 // Earth. It's my element in the Chinese and regular Zodiac and corresponds to me pretty well :) It's stability, deep thoughts, power and the source.
5 // Intelligence. Most important. I hate dumb guys.
6 // Ish... no idea ^^;
7 // Telekynesis and/or control of energies around me :)
8 // Well, I'm always nicer with my clients lol Seriously, I'm the same, anywhere I go. I'm me... and I'm not hypocritical. I'm not nicer with someone because I don't know this person. But I try to be polite when I meet someone.
9 // We remember mostly the ones who used it as a weapon because they let a bigger mark (trauma) on society. But I guess it's equal.

Probably underwear

would you pick and why?

Judaism, not sure why

any?

Nope, cos if I did I'd fail miserably :wink:

why?

Earth, cos earth can be very nice, like hills and such

in a potential lover?

Sense of humour, someone who can make me laugh

No idea :huh:

The power to fly, or speak every language in the world

I'm nice to most people, if I know them or not, unless they aren't nice to me. Being quite shy I find it easier to be nice to people I know than strangers, but I still make an effort.

I think as a weapon mostly nowadays.

A barney blanket when I was 11 years old! :laugh: It was from a distant relative that was really old though, so it was kind of funny

would you pick and why?

Well since I don't really consider myself to have a religion, I'll say (reform) judaism. I was raised to be Jewish and I really like the atmosphere in the reform Jewish synagogue I used to go to. I found it to be very open to questioning, zero talk about heaven/hell, and I actually think the Hebrew songs are very comforting (probably just due to familiarity). None of it's enough to convince me there is or isn't a god, but at the moment that's probably what I would most identify with.

any?

I don't think I've ever made a serious New year's resolution.

why?
umm...water, I suppose. I swam competitively for 8 years, and now I row. and water is my favorite thing to drink. (because I follow all applicable laws regarding alcohol age requirement :tsk: :wink: )

in a potential lover?

potential lover? yeah this is all getting way above me. a sense of humor, though, I guess.

no clue...

the power to "make everything alright" whatever that means.

complicated and there is no longterm
commitment?

I am probably nicer to strangers in a sense, but it's a very superficial thing. I think for the most part I am kind to my friends and family, I hope so.

Probably both, I guess. I think a lot of people with power will use it as a tool to do what they personally feel is right, even if it does end up hurting people. Those in power are always a good place to direct our complaints (often warranted). I guess ultimately power does corrupt, and no one is above that even people with the best of intentions. There's a quote by Abraham Lincoln in response to all the quotes that tell us that a man's character is determined by how he handles suffering and adverse circumstances. And he says something to the effect of "nearly any man can overcome difficult circumstances. give him power, and that is the true judge of his character."

I don't think it's fair to say that people use power as a weapon more than ever before, though...I mean just look at history, it's obvious that's not true.

Last edited:
1. What was your worst Christmas, Channukah, etc. present? Hmmm...if I had to pick, I'd probably say a CD full of 50s instrumentals a friend gave me one year. It's not so much that the music's bad, it's just not something I really listen to.
2. If you HAD to pick another religion besides your own, what would you pick and why? Um...probably one of the ones like Buddhism or Hinduism or something-it's totally different from what I was raised in and, I dunno, they just seem interesting.
3. Do you make New Year's resolutions? If so, have you kept any? I've made them before, yes, but I'd never really been good at keeping them...I'm slowly trying to get better at keeping them, though.
4. What is your preferred element--fire, water, air, earth and why? Probably fire, 'cause it symbolizes passion and intensity. I tend to be quite passionate and intense about certain things, and I find it fascinating when others have those qualities, too, because of what they can do with them.
5. In all honesty, what is the first quality (qualities) you look for in a potential lover? Kindness and a sense of humor, both about themselves and about the world around them. A good sense of humor is often the first thing that I notice and find attractive in a guy.
6. Who plays you in the movie of your life? (You can't) Oh, gosh, I dunno...um...for some reason, someone like Natalie Portman comes to mind...
7. What superpower would you like to have? Not really a "superpower", but I want the kinds of powers Samantha Stevens from "Bewitched" had. Twitch my nose, house is clean, homework's done, snap my fingers, I could be anywhere in the world I wanted to be...it'd be nice :p.
8. Are you as kind in your personal relationships (friends, family, coworkers) as you are to strangers? Or is it easier to feel good being kind to strangers since it is less complicated and there is no longterm commitment? I certainly wouldn't say I'm just flat out mean to my loved ones-I get on with them pretty well a great deal of the time. But when I do get upset with them, I do think I can be a lot more angry with them than I can with some stranger, yes. But I think most people would say that-after all, those closest to you are the ones who are going to provoke the strongest reactions, rudeness/anger being one of them.
9. Do you think that most people who have power or influence use it as a weapon or a tool? Social and personal. I think most people who have power or influence have used it both ways, and even then, whether or not that power/influence is a weapon or a tool depends on the perspective of the person who's under that power or influence. For instance, anti-Bush people see him using his power as a weapon. Pro-Bush people will not see it that way, they'll lean towards him using it as a tool.

Angela

10 dollars towards a 200 dollar lay buy, the gift of financial burden to a 14 year old :S

2. If you HAD to pick another religion besides your own, what would you pick and why?

If I was a Muslim then my opinions about terrorism would have more weight.

3. Do you make New Year's resolutions? If so, have you kept any?

No, but I keep other resolutions.

4. What is your preferred element--fire, water, air, earth and why?

Earth - I know about it.

5. In all honesty, what is the first quality (qualities) you look for in a potential lover?

The convergence of looks, wits and personality that makes me think of her every day.

Orson Welles circa 1940

Invulnerability would be useful.

8. Are you as kind in your personal relationships (friends, family, coworkers) as you are to strangers? Or is it easier to feel good being kind to strangers since it is less complicated and there is no longterm commitment?

Well you can be courteous, it gets things done quicker.

9. Do you think that most people who have power or influence use it as a weapon or a tool? Social and personal.

People will always try to exert their will using power and influence, a weapon is just a tool so I think that there is no real difference, what matters is their intentions.

in a potential lover?

5. Face. I'm a guy, and from a distance, faces are what get me. I like expressive faces. But then it's the mouth, because what comes out of that really makes a difference. And then it's the body, because actions speak louder than words, to be cliche......

I'd like to revise mine, or at least elaborate

Obviously, the first glance superficiality is already there, as I listed it, along with overall body frame. Not neccesarily size, or type, but the frame itself.

The deeper the "love" will be, the deeper I look. More so, I suppose, the more I find that would allow me to be in a deeper love, the more I would invest. So it's a lot of things.

First and foremost, if I were to be spending any amount of time with a person, it would be her mind that I would be most interested in. Is it open? is it closed, how closed? How does she use it? how does she see her reality, how does she move through it? What are her thoughts, dreams and hopes, fears, all that.

Not just what she thinks, but why and how.

Ultimately, what I look for in a REAL lover, as in, someone I could be in a mutual loving relationship with, is how well we can/could communicate. Certain compatibilities and similarities are neccesary to be able to be on the same wavelength, and that is what I most lookfor. We don't neccesarily have to hit it off like magic, but there has to be some potential for a mutual growth together, and I like being able to talk to someone without having to translate myself all the time, which I find myself doing often.

And no, I don't want some woman who understand's 'guy talk'. That's not what I m ean. I like feminine women and all that. I am refering to the ablity to connect deeply with someone else. That doesn't mean we agree on all things, either, now. But that we can at least UNDERSTAND each other. I guess in addition to all that, the desire to understand each other is somehow a part of it all, too.

I'm sure there is a way to sum that up into fewer words, but right now it's easier this way.

BonosSaint said:

would you pick and why?
any?
why?
in a potential lover?
1.ashtrays;Even I smoke,don't need to be reminded about that on Christmas 2.Hinduism;the ultimate triumph of spirit over body+very exotic 3.No,in order to evade feeling guilty when break some 4.None,all make the whole;Astrologically I'm a Taurus(earth),love water sports,but feel like a fire sign (very often) 5.some artistic streak(talent)+expressive features;to be a good listener 6.Ava Gardner or Sigurney Weawer 7.the ability to change the past,especially the 20th century 8.Most of the time I try to be kind and graceful with respect to other people's feelings or attitude 9.Not all of them,but unfortunately they are still in the majority

Last edited:

i didn't really get anything horrible, so i can't comment. but my worst all-time present was when i was 10 and got a plaid bathrobe as my only gift. i wouldn't even want it now...

2. If you HAD to pick another religion besides your own, what would you pick and why?

buddhist - i just believe in a lot of their teachings, but i really don't have the discipline for it at all.

3. Do you make New Year's resolutions? If so, have you kept any?

no, i've never made them, and i don't intend on doing it this year either.

4. What is your preferred element--fire, water, air, earth and why?

fire - it symbolises passion and love to me. and i'm a sagittarius anyway :)

5. In all honesty, what is the first quality (qualities) you look for in a potential lover?

that they're nice, know how to joke around, good listener... and one of the most important things is good taste in music. i find it extremely difficult to relate to people who listen to stuff like, i don't know, john mayer - i think it says a lot about your personality.

scarlett johansson!! not because i'm beautiful or anything... i just think she's the coolest. and it's my film!

the ability to teleport. i've thought a lot about this... i wouldn't be here right now if i could.

8. Are you as kind in your personal relationships (friends, family, coworkers) as you are to strangers? Or is it easier to feel good being kind to strangers since it is less complicated and there is no longterm commitment?

i think that overall, i'm nice to everyone. unless they piss me off. :p

9. Do you think that most people who have power or influence use it as a weapon or a tool? Social and personal.

yes, the types of people who gain power are the types of people who want to use it for something. it could be good, like in the case of bono... but almost all of the time, it's bad... just look at who's running the united states right now :(

A Precious Moments creche from my parents. Yikes! I love my parents, but sometimes they have the worst taste ever.

would you pick and why?

I've actually considered this a lot lately because I've been so frustrated with the Catholic Church. I'd have to say Episcopalian or Lutheran.

any?

I never make any. You can't improve on perfection! :wink:

why?

Water. I would go swimming every day if it were possible.

in a potential lover?

It's hard to say. I simply couldn't date a stupid guy, but all the brains in the world wouldn't make up for someone being an asshole.

Jeanne Garofolo (sp?)

I want to fly like Superman.

Since I just got back from visiting my relatives over Christmas and found myself yelling at one of my older brothers for being the complete jerk he usually is, I'd have to say I'm sometimes better at being nice to strangers than I am my own flesh and blood.

I don't know. I think it's split about 50/50.

Last edited:

Boot warmer/dryers. I don’t own boots. ???

would you pick and why?

Judaism – essentially the same as my own.

any?

No. It is a trite ritual. If I need to make a change in my life, I will. I don’t need to tie it to the New Year.

why?

Water – who could pass up a nice hot shower?

in a potential lover?

She accepted my hand in marriage. No other potentials.

Liam Nelson

Invisibility

I try to express loving kindness in all levels of relationships.

On the whole, people will revert to selfish behavior. Power and influence will be used as weapon and/or tool to serve themselves first – even in the guise of helping others.

Just wanted to say...

nbcrusader said:
any?

No. It is a trite ritual. If I need to make a change in my life, I will. I don’t need to tie it to the New Year.

why?

Water – who could pass up a nice hot shower?

...good points raised in these two answers :). Especially the first one, never really thought about it that way before.

Angela

Lincoln logs when I was 18. Um, hello? And a Bible that had Greek, NIV, NASB and KJV translations when I was 10. Right.

would you pick and why?

Judaism. Jehovah is all right with me.

any?

I don't really feel the need to feel guilty about yet something else I say I'm going to do that I can't/won't.

why?

Fire. Thank God for heat.

She was willing to spend the rest of her life with me. Sold.

Frank Sinatra when he was young, or Ethan Hawke (the two comparisons I get most)

The ability to know what people need most, and how to give it to them.

Strangers/new people are easy to love. No history there and people at their core all want to belong to something. Personal relationships are harder -- you know where all the skeletons are, and vice-versa. It's harder to love with history, I think...but that's what true love is, isn't it?

Unfortunately, power/influence is too often used to protect ones' own power and influence. Noble tools become weapons for a selfish end. Enemies are punished and even friends isolated. Being where I am, I see it fairly often. You never know who your true friends are -- which is why one must work hard to be balanced before power and influence come...because after it does, you will only become more like what you were. For better or worse.

Well, luckily my sister intervened, but her in-laws almost gave me a hideous clown doll that played the song, "Feelings" when you pulled its string. I think I got chocolates instead. Thank goodness.

would you pick and why?

I've been interested in Buddhism for several years. It just seems more "me" than the Roman Catholic faith that I was raised in.

any?

Yes, I resolved to go back to school and I did.

why?

I guess water. Perhaps because I'm a Pisces.

in a potential lover?

Superficially, good looks, but kindness and good manners mean a lot to me in the long run.

Jena Malone is an awesome actress. She can always dye her hair red.

The superpower to eat whatever I want and never gain an ounce.

Very interesting. Sometimes I'm too snarky to my family and friends and talk to them in ways I would never talk to strangers, but that could be because I know my family and friends enough to be snarky.

I might have to get back to you on this one. It really depends on the person. Bono has used his power and influence for good, obviously, but that's not true for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom