christians sue for right not to tolerate - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2006, 01:50 PM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep

Moral, G-d fearing religious people have a right to condemn it.
Other behavior, (sin) should not be protected in laws that take away a person's right of conscious to speak out against it. *

should Muslims have the right to speak out against students of age who drink alcohol?

is being gay the same thing as drinking alcohol?

(i actually do think there are very interesting issues here ... i am a very, very staunch supporter of freedom of speech, as well as freedom of religious expression so long as it is independent of federal, state, and local governments ... what i really want to examine here is what happens when one man's tolerance is understood as another form of bigotry)

Old 04-12-2006, 01:59 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:13 AM
Some christians confuse the concept of loving the sinner but hating sin.

Now, seeing as though everyone is a sinner how is that homosexual sin is worse than any other sin?

In God's eyes we are all equal and we should just practice love. Jesus commanded us to show the world who we are by showing how much we love our neighbors. Apparently these people skipped that part of the Bible.

Old 04-12-2006, 02:07 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

should Muslims have the right to speak out against students of age who drink alcohol?

(i actually do think there are very interesting issues here ... i am a very, very staunch supporter of freedom of speech, as well as freedom of religious expression so long as it is independent of federal, state, and local governments ... what i really want to examine here is what happens when one man's tolerance is understood as another form of bigotry)

Because you quote me
You must know my hidden agenda

My two posts were typical so-called reasonable responses
that many Evangelical Christians believe
I have heard them, so many times over.

Should we/ would we tolerate these same people telling Jews they are damned and will not be saved
unless they reject their faith and accept Jesus Christ as their Savior?

So it is written
There is no equivocation in this belief!

I did not get to read the entire LA Times Monday or I may have posted this myself.

I did read the entire article online, the paper is lying on the floor of my 19 mpg SUV.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:19 PM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
I did read the entire article online, the paper is lying on the floor of my 19 mpg SUV.

Old 04-12-2006, 02:22 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

hey, it replaced a 15 mpg sedan, don't stop lovin' me.

Quote:
Hey! My name is Ruth and I'm a 3rd year International Affairs, also double-minoring in Pre-Law and Spanish. I am from Atlanta, Georgia
and have lived here all my life!
Like most Tech students, classes take up the majority of my time, but I have lots of extra-curricular interests! On campus,
I am involved with College Republicans, Alpha Delta Chi Sorority,
and the Ivan Allen College Student Advisory Board. I also love traveling all over, hanging out with friends, and
doing random things (like shopping!) I love to talk about almost anything
(especially politics, religion, and baseball), so I would love to hear from you!

If you would like to contact me (you know you want to!), send me an email at:
gtg540h@mail.gatech.edu

Perhaps, we should ask her some polte questions?

public link here
Old 04-12-2006, 05:24 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:13 AM
Re: christians sue for right not to tolerate

Quote:
[q]Christians Sue for Right Not to Tolerate Policies
Many codes intended to protect gays from harassment are illegal, conservatives argue.
By Stephanie Simon, Times Staff Writer
April 10, 2006

ATLANTA — Ruth Malhotra went to court last month for the right to be intolerant.

Malhotra says her Christian faith compels her to speak out against homosexuality. But the Georgia Institute of Technology, where she's a senior, bans speech that puts down others because of their sexual orientation.

Malhotra sees that as an unacceptable infringement on her right to religious expression. So she's demanding that Georgia Tech revoke its tolerance policy.

With her lawsuit, the 22-year-old student joins a growing campaign to force public schools, state colleges and private workplaces to eliminate policies protecting gays and lesbians from harassment. The religious right aims to overturn a broad range of common tolerance programs: diversity training that promotes acceptance of gays and lesbians, speech codes that ban harsh words against homosexuality, anti-discrimination policies that require college clubs to open their membership to all.

The Rev. Rick Scarborough, a leading evangelical, frames the movement as the civil rights struggle of the 21st century. "Christians," he said, "are going to have to take a stand for the right to be Christian."

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedi...,6596503.story

[/q]

do we have a right to hate? can we sue to protect this perceived right?
Yes we do and we damn well should sue for the right to hate, speech codes are some of the more innocuous anti-freedom measures that people accept.

Two cases in Australia that show where this thinking goes is the trial of 'The Two Dannies", Evangelicals from Catch the Fire Ministries who have been brought up on charges of religious vilification for holding a seminar on Islamic theology and how to talk to Muslims about Christianity ~ they had agenda, converting Muslims. But punishing them for offensive speech against a religion is completely buggered. The other case is Professor Andrew Fraser who has been brought up with the Equal Opportunities Comission because he claimed that African Immigrants had a higher crime rate. Two examples where they try to silence offensive speech, the sedition provisions in out anti-terror legislation are also poor because they could be used to gag nut-job Islamic preachers who rally against the "Jews and Crusaders".

I want to see a world where the Christians can offend people, where the Muslims can offend people and the Atheists can offend right back.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:29 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:13 AM
Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Irvine511

Yes they should, and could enjoy the response of piss off ~

Quote:
They are both haraam aren't they?
Quote:
Tolerance is not always a good thing - one example that comes to mind is the practice of Sati in India under the British Raj. If your views are antiethical to those of somebody elses you are under no obligation to respect their beliefs ~ they are under no obligation to respect yours.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:37 PM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier

Re: Re: christians sue for right not to tolerate

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Yes we do and we damn well should sue for the right to hate, speech codes are some of the more innocuous anti-freedom measures that people accept.

as much as it might surprise some, i'm inclined to agree with you here.

to a point. this is not about speech alone, and where does speech become harassment?

should Christians be able to sue for the right to discriminate against homosexuals in, say, cases of hiring or housing? anti-discrimination laws are so written into the fabric of hiring, housing, schooling, or anything requiring federal funds, that it seems appaling to say that, well, it is one group's right to discriminate against another group, and though we won't tolerate it based on race, we WILL tolerate it on the basis of sexual orientation. you can't pick and choose who gets protected -- either everyone does, or no one does, which is why i'd rather do away with all Hate Crimes laws than to have the exclusion of gay people from such crimes blaring in my face every time i go to, say, St. Maarten (see the brokeback thread).

if we are going to argue that homosexuality is "behavior" and "choice," and therefore exempt from anti-discrimination laws, well then i'm damn well going to defend my right to discriminate on the basis of religion since religion is far, far, far more of a "behavior" and a "choice" than sexual orientation.

so i'm putting my foot down: i will never, ever hire a Zororastrian. how dare you infringe on my right to do so!
Old 04-12-2006, 05:46 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:13 PM
Forget it, deep. Hell will freeze over before people that narrow-minded will change their views.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:30 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:13 PM
Can a mod please delete the pictures and contact info for this student? I find this highly inappropriate.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:32 PM   #26
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nathan1977
Can a mod please delete the pictures and contact info for this student? I find this highly inappropriate.
Why if it was public to begin with?
Old 04-12-2006, 06:49 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

I wonder what diseases you get from kissing Republicans?

Melon
Old 04-12-2006, 06:56 PM   #28
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:13 PM
I'm inclined to agree with BVS--and having read the article, it hardly sounds like Ms. Malhotra fears a challenge (though nathan, please feel free to email me if you want to pursue this further). Of course, anyone who takes advantage of the link to merely flame her would just reinforce her opinion that she's being persecuted, plus she might post or circulate to other websites any email feedback she gets.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 04-12-2006, 07:19 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Re: Re: Re: christians sue for right not to tolerate

Quote:
either everyone does, or no one does, which is why i'd rather do away with all Hate Crimes laws than to have the exclusion of gay people from such crimes blaring in my face every time i go to, say, St. Maarten (see the brokeback thread).
The high school I teach at has included homosexuals in our hate crime/hate speech policy. This was a huuuuuge step for my district considering the community and the school board. (What the school board did to our Gay Straight Alliance makes me physically ill, but that might be for another thread)
Old 04-12-2006, 07:23 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

All I did was google her name

and her site came up

public link here

I did say polite questions

I don't believe in flaming

I agree that she probably will not change her opinion

she has too much invested

and gets plenty of reinforcement from like-minded people