Christians on Masturbation.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laughing Gas.

Babyface
Hey y'all all you wonderful Interferencers!

The topic speaks for itself really. Is Christianity against masturbation? You see, I am a Christian. Not an incredibly religious Christian, I do not go to Church but do pray to God at times and generally try to lead a sound life being helpful to others and hopefully being a positive influence on those who are close to me.

However, I do masturbate. I'm not one of those addicted, three times a day type though. On average I'd say around three times a week. Is this permitted in the Bible? I know that Catholics generally are more dismissive and against masturbation given that previous Popes have condemned it. But is the bible? I have heard some verses are interpreted as being against it, such as Adam being punished for 'spilling his seed.'

Anyway, this wasn't an easy topic to make but I'd love to hear the opinions of any other Intereferencer's, masturbators or non-masturbators.

Laughing Gas

As a Christian I always ask myself...

What would Jesus do?

And then I try and do it.

i smell a closed thread soon ... but in the meantime, wank away.

god gave you a penis for a reason. enjoy it while you have it. it's perfectly normal and healthy.

have a great time!

:wave:

Laughing Gas. said:
Hey y'all all you wonderful Interferencers!

The topic speaks for itself really. Is Christianity against masturbation?
:corn:

:giggle:

as far as I know the bible does not handle this topic.
Of course in the old testament their was a guy called "Onan" - where we get out word "Onanie" from - similar to masturbation - but that guy did not pratice masturbation he did "coitus interruptus" - that was disliked.

The bible is not very sex-friendly by the way -
their is always a war against the flesh - esspcially in the letters from Paulus and these guys. For example 1.Korinter 9:27.

But apart from that 92 % of men jerk of it's completly normal. Enjoy....but don't forget the real deal about it.

I was always taught it was a sin in the same way that using a condom is. I don't know if it's changed since I was in school though.

So if using a condom is a sin, and masturbating is a sin, that leaves those in search of, er, satisfaction, with the choice of abstinance (can't get no satisfaction) or unprotected sex.

:applaud: Brilliance!

wack away.

Varitek said:
So if using a condom is a sin, and masturbating is a sin, that leaves those in search of, er, satisfaction, with the choice of abstinance (can't get no satisfaction) or unprotected sex.

:applaud: Brilliance!

wack away.

They believe you should wait until marriage and then use natural family planning to get your "satisfaction."

"The Roman Catholic Church is against unnatural means of birth control such as condoms and the birth control pill. Roman Catholicism feels a married couple needs to be open to having children. Artificial birth control takes Jesus Christ out of the factor. The birth control pill can cause women to abort without even knowing it. Sex is a beautiful act, and when artificial birth control is used, sex is cheapened."

Not that I agree with it, but that's what they say.

"Catholicism teaches that masturbation is a sin. Any sexual action that does not lead to an opportunity of creation of a human life and is outside the union of marriage is considered a sin.

Catholicism teaches that sex is viewed as a sacred act between husband and a wife. Anything that belittles this act to merely personal pleasure is abusing the very purpose of sex. When we sin, we pull away from God's plan for us.

The Catholic catechism states, "The deliberate use of the sexual faculty, for whatever reason, outside of marriage is essentially contrary to its purpose." For here sexual pleasure is sought outside of "the sexual relationship which is demanded by the moral order and in which the total meaning of mutual self-giving and human procreation in the context of true love is achieved."

Re: Re: Christians on Masturbation.

perrypickwick said:

But apart from that 92 % of men jerk of it's completly normal. Enjoy....but don't forget the real deal about it.

I thought the statistic was that 95% of men masturbate...and the other 5% are lying. :wink:

I also know that another issue that Christians take up with masturbation is the whole lust factor. Since masturbation usually involves fantasizing, it should be avoided, because even thinking about a woman/man lustfully is considered adultery. But I guess, by that standard, then if you can keep your mind clear, or think about your grocery list, then go all for it. (Personally, I have nothing against masturbation, but that is one of the arguments used against it.)

I don't really understand the view that sex is just for procreation, and doing it for pleasure is a sin. I don't think God would've made it so fun if he didn't intend us to have fun with it. Because then wouldn't eating when you are not hungry, or simply for the taste of something, be a sin as well? I mean, the sole purpose of food is for nourishment, and using it for anything else would be going against God. :huh: So, just like eating, masturbation/sex for pleasure should be simply in moderation.

It's true that Popes have denounced masturbation, but it's not a belief that's binding on Catholics, thus I do it without worrying about it.

for some of us, sex is never about procreation.

it's about intimacy, closeness, and, gasp!, love.

but if we want to reduce sex into babymakin' -- go right ahead.

animals.

:tsk:

I love (read: dislike) how the church is Big Brother on everything. If the government tried regulating it, there'd be...well, I fear to think. But if the church want to, it's ok?

I'm glad everyone is joking about this, because as a serious question, it's nothing but alarming, really.

Masturbation: God's Great Gift to Us

The subject of masturbation is the cause of much concern and confusion among Christians. Most of us are taught that masturbation is sinful or wrong, and many believe that the Bible actually forbids masturbation. The latter is simply untrue; masturbation is not even mentioned in the Bible. And when we consider the facts, it becomes clear that masturbation is not a sin, but rather a blessing from God that enables us to fully enjoy our bodies and can help us lead a more healthy spiritual life.

Masturbating for the Glory of God
Some people say that they feel guilty, shameful, or dirty after they masturbate, and so they conclude that masturbation must be a sin. This is just because most of us have been taught, often by misguided religious authorities, that our bodies are bad and anything relating to physical pleasure is sinful. This is simply not true, and this is not what God intended for us. God created our bodies, along with our capacity for sexual pleasure and orgasm. Masturbation is just a normal release of sexual energy, and if used properly, it can help keep us healthy physically and spiritually.

The Scripture tells us that our bodies are the temples of the Holy Spirit, and that everything that we do should glorify the Lord. While masturbation is not a sin, we must be careful to masturbate in a way that is respectful to our bodies, and respectful to God.
Masturbation is a gift that we should not abuse.
This means we should not masturbate to excess, or to the point where we injure ourselves.
If you are masturbating until you are exhausted, or until your genitals are raw or bleeding, this is excessive, harmful, and not what God intended.
If you masturbate compulsively to the point that it interferes with your work or your relationships with friends, family, and God, this is a problem.
If you masturbate while indulging in impure thoughts (fantasizing about your neighbor’s wife, for example), this is also a misuse of God’s gift.
Of course, this is not to say that masturbation in itself is wrong – simply that we must use masturbation in a way that is healthy and responsible.

Masturbation: God’s Gift to Us
Most discussions of masturbation don’t even touch on the multitude of ways that masturbating can contribute to our physical, emotional, and moral health. Here are just a few of the many ways that masturbation is beneficial:

* It prevents sexually transmitted diseases. Masturbation is the safest form of safe sex. You can’t catch or spread any STDs when you masturbate.

* It prevents unwanted pregnancies. By masturbating instead of having intercourse, couples – both married and unmarried – can avoid the dilemma of an unwanted or unplanned pregnancy. If birth control is not available, masturbation is a wise alternative to unprotected sex.

* It’s an alternative to premarital sex. Masturbation provides an alternative to intercourse before marriage. It allows both partners to keep their virginity intact for their wedding night.

* It’s an alternative to sinful behavior such as adultery. If a man or woman is tempted to indulge in adulterous sex, for example, masturbating is a much better alternative to committing a sin.

* It provides gratification if sex is unfulfilling. Many women do not experience orgasm during sexual intercourse, and some people are just unable to climax with a partner. In these cases, masturbation allows the experience of sexual fulfillment.

* It allows us to reap the health benefits of sexual release. Medical research shows that having regular orgasms can contribute to overall health in many ways. Having an orgasm releases physical tension and emotional stress, releases endorphins, and improves circulation. Studies also show that having regular ejaculations decreases the risk of prostate cancer in men. Masturbation allows us to enjoy these benefits whether or not we have a sexual partner.

* It enables us to enjoy our bodies and God’s gift of sexual pleasure. Most importantly, masturbation is a way for us to enjoy and celebrate our God-given sexuality. Sexual pleasure and orgasm are blessings from the Lord, and masturbation is one way we can experience them. Our bodies and our sexual organs were made to feel good; if we deny ourselves pleasure, we are refusing one of God’s gifts.

http://www.sexinchrist.com/masturbation.html

Last edited:
verte76 said:
It's true that Popes have denounced masturbation, but it's not a belief that's binding on Catholics, thus I do it without worrying about it.

And to add to that verte, 90% 0f practicing Catholics don't use birth control. So that goes to show you about Catholics and the Pope. I am a practicing Catholic and I do not not go by all the Pope stands for. To me he's not God, just a figure head.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

:eyebrow: Where does this stat come from?

at least 90% of my practicing catholic friends do use birth control. Of course that's unscientific :wink:

I wonder what the stats are? and I'm sure they vary by country quite a bit as well.

Back
Top Bottom