Christians Not Laughing At First Lady

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Conservative Christians Not Laughing at First Lady's Comedy Act

First Lady Laura Bush may have stolen the show with her surprise comedy routine at this weekend's White House Correspondents' Association Dinner, but her jokes and one-liners have made her no new friends among conservative Christians. In an official statement, one 'pro-family' advocacy group warned that Mrs. Bush's jokes at the President's expense were in violation of the Biblical command that wives respect their husbands.

Some shocked by Mrs. Bush's reference to herself as a "desperate housewife"

By Russell D'Arby

WASHINGTON, DC—The First Lady may have stolen the show with her surprise comedy routine at the 91st White House Correspondents' Association Dinner, but not everyone appreciated her jokes and one-liners poking fun at President Bush. At least one organization of conservative Christians quickly lashed out at Mrs. Bush's performance, warning that her remarks at the President's expense were a public refutation of the Biblical command that wives should respect their husbands.

According to an official statement released over the weekend by the Coalition for Traditional Values, an organization that seeks a more flexible relationship between church and state, Mrs. Bush's jokes at her husband's expense amounted to a public emasculation of the President. Pastor Roy DeLong, the statement's author and chair of the group, warns that the First Lady's performance comes at a time when the Mr. Bush's "manliness is already under attack."

As a believer, President Bush is no doubt familiar with the passage from Ephesians that says 'Wives, submit yourselves unto your husbands, as unto the Lord,'" says Mr. DeLong. "That means that just as Christ is the head of the church, the husband is the head of the wife.

Mrs. Bush interrupted a speech being given by her husband at the annual dinner, remarking that "I have a few things I want to say for a change." She then proceeded to mock his performance, both public ("if you really want to end tyranny in the world, you're going to have to stay up later") and private, noting that by nine o'clock, Mr. Bush, whom she referred to as "Mr. Excitement," is typically sound asleep.

"One of the Proverbs says that 'a virtuous woman is a crown to her husband, but she that maketh him ashamed is as rottenness in his bones," notes Mr. DeLong. "I bet President Bush is feeling pretty rotten today."

Manliness in question

The rebuke to the First Lady's stand-up act comes on the heels of mounting concern about the President's image. Last week, Mr. Bush was seen holding hands with Crown Prince Abdullah of Saudi Arabia. Then the President raised eyebrows anew when he asked a crowd of supporters in Galveston, TX if they celebrated Splash Day, an annual gay pride event in that state, best known for attracting tens of thousands of buff men, wearing little more than suntan oil.

Even some members of Mr. Bush's famously loyal party looked askance at his recommendation during a speech on the nation's energy needs last week, when he encouraged Americans to consider driving hybrid vehicles, widely believed to be 'gay' cars.

Depraved housewives?

While the Coalition for Traditional Values was the first conservative advocacy group to jump on the First Lady's comments, more criticism is expected. In her remarks, Mrs. Bush likened herself to a desperate housewife, a reference to the hit show on ABC, noting that she watches the show with Lynne Cheney, wife of the Vice President.

"Desperate Housewives" has come under heavy fire from pro-family groups, including the American Decency Association, which has called for a boycott of ABC for airing the "degraded" show. Last fall, Mrs. Cheney asked the federal government to step in to protect the nation's children from the "Desperate Housewives."

MrsSpringsteen said:
Last fall, Mrs. Cheney asked the federal government to step in to protect the nation's children from the "Desperate Housewives."

:lmao:

Is she for real?

"I said to him the other day, 'George, if you really want to end tyranny in this world, you're going to have to stay up later,"'

:rolleyes:

My wife and I thought Laura's comments were hysterical.

I guess DeLong is behind on his quota of press statements for the year.....

MrsSpringsteen said:
Even some members of Mr. Bush's famously loyal party looked askance at his recommendation during a speech on the nation's energy needs last week, when he encouraged Americans to consider driving hybrid vehicles, widely believed to be 'gay' cars.

Well, if cars can be gay, then I am all for them having their own coalition. How about GAYCARS-

God, A nY one C are A bout the R epublicans' S tupidity?

Honestly, some people have no sense of humor. I'm not really shocked at this, but I really feel for people who take everythiing so seriously so as to not being able to tell humor when that's what it mainly is. I think Laura's jokes were funny, and I even like her husband's jokes, even if I'm not fond of his policies.

And to think...these nutjobs are actively courted by the Republican Party.

Melon

the article was a satire, i believe. a good one too.

i think it's great we have a frist lady who jokes about her husband giving a hand job to a horse.

man on dog sex, indeed ...

;)

Irvine511 said:
the article was a satire, i believe. a good one too.

i think it's great we have a frist lady who jokes about her husband giving a hand job to a horse.

man on dog sex, indeed ...

;)

you stole my line!!! :wink:

seriously, if she can joke about the president giving a horse a hand job, i say more power to her :up:

haha, what losers! I wonder if this was all a set-up to appeal to the liberals! lol...

I found her jokes pretty funny (yeah, the handjob to the horse thing, I was like:ohmy::eyebrow: ...laura Bush?), even if she probably didn't write them. and even though her perfectly-unthreatening-good-pushover-wife image gives me a twitch.

MrsSpringsteen said:

Sheesh. Now I've heard everything. Crazy bastards.

MadelynIris said:
it stills seems like half the liberals here still think this article is real!

Am I missing something?
Which article, there was a video of the event ~ was it all fake?

It's not real, it's a blog entry that Matt Drudge was fooled on and posted as a real news article.

I just thought it would be an experiment, maybe to see how quick we are to believe these stereotypical things about Christians. I hope no one gets mad, I had no malicious intent. I wondered how long it would take before someone questioned it.

No one picked up on the sexywinks, story of my life

If anyone has a link for a transcript of Mrs. Bush's jokes, they were hilarious -she didn't write them I read an article about the guy who did

Back
Top Bottom