Christians! It may be time to convert-> - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2004, 05:23 PM   #61
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:51 AM
Gays are already in church leadership roles. The question is whether they're honest about it or not.

Melon

Old 03-26-2004, 05:37 PM   #62
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Gays are already in church leadership roles. The question is whether they're honest about it or not.

Melon
True and I always enjoy the hypocracy of when someone has served for 10 years and everyone loves them, but as soon as they say those three words everyone's opinion changes.

But then you also have church's like we have here in Dallas the Cathedral of Hope which is one the largest gay churches. Designed by Philip Johnson and one of my favorite services to attend here in town.

Old 03-26-2004, 05:40 PM   #63
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
True and I always enjoy the hypocracy of when someone has served for 10 years and everyone loves them, but as soon as they say those three words everyone's opinion changes.
That's why religion = . It brings out nothing but the worst in people. Look around the world, and the most fucked up regions of the world are the most religious.

But we'll learn that first hand. The religious zealots in Iraq are certainly giving the U.S. a run for its money. And after reading this, my blood is boiling. So, come Easter, when my parents visit in Boston, I hope they don't mind when I tell them that I refuse to ever step into another Catholic "church" ever again.

Melon
Old 03-26-2004, 05:56 PM   #64
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Old 03-26-2004, 08:28 PM   #65
She's the One

Local Time: 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by icelle

no, i dont believe gays should hold leadership roles in church.

Why not?
Old 03-26-2004, 08:43 PM   #66
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
And after reading this, my blood is boiling. So, come Easter, when my parents visit in Boston, I hope they don't mind when I tell them that I refuse to ever step into another Catholic "church" ever again.
I think it's a shame the church is turning people away like this. I have multiple other issues with the church, like birth control and the like, but this issue is definitely one of the ones on the forefront.

I wish you luck, Melon. I have been blessed to have parents who support my lapsed status, and understand the need for people to find their own way. I'm thankful to them every day.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:31 PM   #67
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
And after reading this, my blood is boiling.
Pardon my language, but...shit, that's just... ...that's just insane.

"The church says it isn't threatening anyone with anything except "Christian ethics"."

Yeah, 'cause, you know, in order to be a true Christian in these people's eyes, you gotta discriminate against people. . Does the name Jesus Christ ring a bell to these people? Ay, carumba...

Angela
Old 03-27-2004, 01:11 AM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Why not?

its a contradiction to what's preached in the bible.
Old 03-27-2004, 01:32 AM   #69
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
But we all do things that go against the Bible, right? So, if that's the case, then really, nobody should have a leadership role in the church, be they gay or straight.

Angela
Old 03-27-2004, 01:58 AM   #70
Neon Zebra

Local Time: 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

But we all do things that go against the Bible, right? So, if that's the case, then really, nobody should have a leadership role in the church, be they gay or straight.

Angela
well, yes. we all do things that go against the bible, and the bible teaches that all sins can be forgiven if we repent. can't really compare being gay to that set of rules, can ya?

and anyway, i think icelle's point is that a gay preacher would be deliberately and willingly living a life that the bible says is sinful, which would be a direct contadiction to it's teachings.
Old 03-27-2004, 02:47 AM   #71
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bonosgirl84

well, yes. we all do things that go against the bible, and the bible teaches that all sins can be forgiven if we repent. can't really compare being gay to that set of rules, can ya?

and anyway, i think icelle's point is that a gay preacher would be deliberately and willingly living a life that the bible says is sinful, which would be a direct contadiction to it's teachings.
I always thought that god will judge if someone is not living acourding the Bible but there are lot of people around who want to take this burden of God`s shoulders.

When i looked at this picture for the first time , i thought that god want us to quit smooking,....

Old 03-27-2004, 04:08 AM   #72
you are what you is

Local Time: 07:51 AM
my brother is a priest and he likes to tell the joke that every priest is either gay or an alcoholic ....

he usually says that when he gets another beer

personally I don't really see why someone who's gay can't become a priest
my knowledge of the bible is very limmited, but I do know that most passages can be explained in more than one way
I also know that if you're not willing to recognize that things written 2,000 years ago were written in a different context that you could argue that according to the bible being a feminist is as bad as being gay
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 03-27-2004, 07:24 AM   #73
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
So is women teaching over men. St. Paul gleefully tells us that. We should now do a purge of women out of schools, because of their immoral presence. Evil women are probably teaching men sinful things!

But that's beside my point. As translated, it is the equivalent of mistranslating "prostitution," "idolatry," "rape," etc. and then choosing to translate it as a blanket condemnation of heterosexual acts. Sorry, I don't buy it.

Melon
Old 03-27-2004, 07:30 AM   #74
ONE
love, blood, life

"I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting. In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works. Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety." -- 1 Timothy 2:8-15

Melon
Old 03-27-2004, 07:42 AM   #75
The Fly

Local Time: 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bonosgirl84

I don't mean to get into any specific issues here, or call anyone a sinner, but I think the point they're trying to make is the entire purpose of a religion or a particular church doctrine is a set of rules and beliefs. If you go against them, ignore them, or want to change them for your own personal situation, then why even bother to have them in the first place? Might as well follow some other religion or make up your own to suit what you want to do and not have to feel guilty or sinful- which is what Henry VIII did. At that time, divorce was sinful, wrong and against the church and against God according to the rules. So he changed them! Thus the birth of the Protestant church and all its stemming factions. But if you change it to be what you want it to be instead of following what it was set out to be, doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose?