Christians! It may be time to convert-> - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2004, 10:55 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Well, I have no intention of converting. I am a Christian, a Catholic, and I do my best to embrace Jesus' true teachings as I interpret them. Guess what- I support gay marriage. Wow, what a shocker huh? I don't hate gay people. Of course I judge people on an individual basis, that's how I determine how I feel about them.

There was deep division over that case, so obviously not all Methodists "embrace the true teachings of Jesus", just as in the case of the Episcopal bishop Rev. Robinson.

So one can "spin" this I guess to make it fit one's view of Christians and Christianity.
Exactly. It's not fair to blame an entire religion, or even Christ, for what a few people have decided to believe in the 21st century. There are millions of other Christians who are not like that!

Old 03-23-2004, 11:36 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I agree with MrsSpringsteen. It's all in how you interpret things. In the end, we're all God's creatures and he loves us no matter what. At least that's what I was taught.

Old 03-23-2004, 08:54 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:41 AM
Gay clergy men would become role model's and I don't know about you but I wouldn't want my children wanting to imitate someone who is a homosexual. He/She may have good intentions but I wouldn't want my children thinking they "want" to be gay.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:01 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy
Gay clergy men would become role model's and I don't know about you but I wouldn't want my children wanting to imitate someone who is a homosexual. He/She may have good intentions but I wouldn't want my children thinking they "want" to be gay.

Gay people aren't gay because they "imitated" someone who's gay or because a gay role model made them "want" to be gay.

I was just about to write a whole post about the science of human sexuality, but chances are the only response I'd get is a "well it's wrong in God's eyes" type comment so I won't even bother.

IhatethesethreadsIhatethesethreadsIhatethesethreadsIhatethesethreads.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:03 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
You're absolutely ridiculous.

You can't teach someone to be gay no more than you can teach a cat to be a dog or to teach a right-handed individual to start writing primarily with their left hand.

All I have to say is that I hope you never have gay children. They wouldn't deserve a small-minded bigot like yourself; they would deserve far better.

Melon
Old 03-24-2004, 12:02 AM   #21
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I've seen your bigotry hid behind "it was just a joke" type bravado, but seriously I really feel sorry for you.

Are you going to ban divorced clergy, handicapped clergy, clergy that didn't quite go to the right college, clergy of another race, ex-alcoholics clergy, clergy that smoke....because I've had clergy of all these types and more and not once did I try to imitate them. I listened to their teachings and discovered if it fit in my life and I researched the materials they taught from.

If you're scared your children are going to imitate rather than truly learn and find themselves than you have failed as a parent.

I dare you to take a toll of adults and see how many say their sexuality comes from imitating, that's f**king rediculous. Do you think you can be persuaded?
Old 03-24-2004, 01:02 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Well said, everyone.

Brown-Eyed Boy...if gay kids who hang around straight people can't become straight, I highly doubt that straight people who hang around gay people are going to become gay.

Angela
Old 03-24-2004, 01:48 AM   #23
Creator of the Blue Crack

Local Time: 02:41 AM
Quote:

If/when I had children, I wouldn't want them to imitating you.

**watches that fly over BrownEyedBoy's head
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:43 AM   #24
Acrobat

Poor Brown-Eyed Boy. He says something everyone disagrees with and out goes civility and rational thinking. Goodness, everyone, if y'all are so open minded shouldn't you debate what is going on without trashing the poor guy? I have found that so called "tolerant" people are usually only tolerant of their own thinking.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:47 AM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Ft. Worth Frog
Poor Brown-Eyed Boy. He says something everyone disagrees with and out goes civility and rational thinking. Goodness, everyone, if y'all are so open minded shouldn't you debate what is going on without trashing the poor guy? I have found that so called "tolerant" people are usually only tolerant of their own thinking.
Too bad "poor BrownEyedBoy" brings up points that he cannot back up with any sort of evidence. Goodness, if he started making racist or anti-Semitic comments, he'd be universally condemned. But, because homophobia still gets "religious protections"--e.g., irrational mythic speech that, by design, cannot be debated--people feel sorry when the holes in the mythic logic gangs up on them.

What he says is the equivalent of what racists have said about black people. "I don't want my child to be influenced by some stupid, dirty, poor......" Sure, you're allowed to have your opinion, but it doesn't mean that the rest of us don't have a right to call him on it.

Melon
Old 03-24-2004, 10:17 AM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:41 AM
Quote:
How rational the idea that people can be "influenced" into being gay? Not at all: this idea has no basis in reality and is nothing more than homophobic scare-mongering. What's civil about implying being gay is undesirable? Nothing: the idea insulting and offensive.

I also agree with melon's comments. If BrownEyedBoy had said "I wouldn't want my children to be taught by a Black person" then he would be immediately denounced as a racist. Why should there be such a double-standard when people make homophobic comments?
Old 03-24-2004, 10:30 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

On the topic of clergy - in many denominations, if a member of the clergy has committed adultry, they are removed from their post. These individuals never claim to wake up one day and decide to commit adultry.

To melon's point, however, there is gross inconsistency in how "sins" are viewed in the church. Divorce, for one, is practically never questioned.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:47 PM   #28
Creator of the Blue Crack

I know this 'term' has been over used... but it's SO appropriate.... :

beLIEve

FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:03 PM   #29
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Well against my better judgement I'm going to respond to this.

If you have read this whole thread and the thread on gay marriage you'll see that if someone comes in with a view that goes against the majority in here and they can back it up with some type of logic then there is a debate. But this was not the case, and not only was it not the case in this paticular instance but in several instances. Blanket statements, bigotry, or hate will not be tolerated in here.

But thanks for the blanket judgement cast upon us.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:04 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:41 AM
Quote:
I don't know why I am dignifying this with a response at all, especially since others have addressed it so well. You should really educate yourself on this subject before participating in these kinds of discussions.

But I will respond because I'm bored. The only two teachers I had in high school that I had any respect for whatesoever were both lesbians. They were incredible role models for everyone. They were smarter, better educated, hipper and more tuned in to the needs of high school students than any of the other old dinosaurs teaching in that small school in rural Virginia. Interestingly, I did not 'imitate' their sexual orientation and as far as I know, no one else did either. Out of the 150 people in my graduating class, only 1 guy is gay and I'm pretty sure the lesbians had nothing to do with it.