Christianity is very confusing - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2004, 01:33 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:49 AM
Boy, you would have loved the talk I got in high school (run by the Jesuits).

We literally had a chart with stages of a relationship (from casual friends to married) across the top and levels of intimacy (from holding hands to intercourse) down the side. The Father then proceeded to lable each act for each level of relationship as "light sin" "medium sin" "heavy sin" and "mortal sin".

At the time, we jokingly referred to this as Father Lewis' Handy Dandy Guide to Hanky Panky.

As I think back on it, the whole idea is so far removed from God's Word, that anyone trying to understand matters of faith would be completely turned off and confused.

Old 01-07-2004, 04:06 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:49 AM
I was going to respond but I got distracted by your sig, Mrs. Edge, and now I've forgotten what I was going to say. I'm sure it was profound; sadly, now I'm just going to burn in hell for my wicked thoughts.

Old 01-08-2004, 12:48 PM   #18
Bono's Belly Dancing Friend

Local Time: 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
I was going to respond but I got distracted by your sig, Mrs. Edge, and now I've forgotten what I was going to say. I'm sure it was profound; sadly, now I'm just going to burn in hell for my wicked thoughts.

Join the club!
Old 01-24-2004, 12:16 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:49 AM
Jess, I agree that God is tugging at your heart, hon. I applaud you for trying to slog through the Old Testament, and can *completely* understand why you would stop after Noah! It might be better to just start in the New Testament, using an easy to read traslation (the KJV can be rather heavy handed and confusing with all the thees and thous). Here are a couple good ones:

New International Version
New American Standard Bible
The Message
Amplified Bible
New Living Translation
Contemporary English Version

And a good reference website is http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible

Just remember, when it gets down to it, being a "Christian" simply means receiving the gift of salvation through Christ's grace, and by His grace ALONE....having a personal relationship with him. Nothing more.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:32 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:49 AM
Jess, I think you are asking 2 separate questions - one about religion and one about God(s). You can quite happily believe in one without the other, or both, or neither.

My family are Athiests and irreligous and have been for many generations. The rules of some religions dont fit me - except for the thou shalt not kill one, thats a pretty good rule to live by. The Bible, the Noah story, etc doesnt gel with me.

As for God(s), there are times where I, like you, wish I could believe in something. My main colleagues at work are a Catholic, a Wicca (sp?) and a Mason. We all get along like a house on fire but when the going gets tough I dont bounce back as fast and as well as the others. Especially when death is concerned. I dont do death well at all. Even at the death of my own baby I still couldnt believe. I tried and tried but it aint gonna happen.

I guess what Im trying to say is if it comes, it comes, I think you will lead an easier life if it does. If not, theres room down the back of the bus with me.
Old 01-25-2004, 07:39 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:49 AM
Oops, I just read the bit about 'not to be used for debates about religion'. Sorry, I wasnt really debating, just chiming in. Ill leave now.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:20 PM   #22
Bono's Belly Dancing Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by beli
I guess what Im trying to say is if it comes, it comes, I think you will lead an easier life if it does. If not, theres room down the back of the bus with me.
That's one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me!

I am so sorry to hear about your baby. I have always been puzzled about people who have horrible things happen to them and suddenly are overwhelmed with belief/love in God, I would think it the opposite...and I guess it is with a lot of people too.

Anyway, thank you, and everyone else for your continued answers!
Old 01-26-2004, 11:37 PM   #23
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
With that, though, there is one passage in the New Testament that I find particularly helpful, even if I also think it is the most ignored amongst Christians:

"Owe nothing to anyone, except to love one another; for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law. The commandments, 'You shall not commit adultery; you shall not kill; you shall not steal; you shall not covet,' and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this saying, (namely) 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' Love does no evil to the neighbor; hence, love is the fulfillment of the law." -- Romans 13:8-10

Melon
Melon - thank you for pointing out that passage. My belief in God is as follows:

God = Love

I was brought up Catholic and stopped attending Church as soon as I was able to. For me, U2's Christianity has been my sole source of religion for years.

When I started attending a church affiliated with the United Church of Christ 18 months ago, it was Bono that led me there. After being moved by the Elevation tour and the prayer Bono said in Providence (10/30/01), I started following his humanitarian work and reading a lot about his Christian beliefs. In the summer of 2002, alot of churchs affiliated with Jubilee 2000 rang bells to drop the debt. I felt really left out that I wasn't part of a church and that, coupled with my desire to have my children exposed to an education in religion prompted me to go. I am lucky to have found a church that backs up what I feel Bono/U2 has taught me...

God=Love

Wow - Melon, thanks again for pointing out that passage!

Anyhow, Mrs. Edge - here is what I get from attending Church:

The feeling that I am helping people. Helping with a group has a greater impact than helping on my own. I helped cook a meal for a soup kitchen. I'm sure that anyone can do this, but I would never have looked into how and it really felt good. If Jubilee rings the bells again, I can participate.

A religious education. More thoughts to toss around on my journey to find what I'm looking for.

Singing with a group of people is nice too.

I'm still looking for my personal relationship with God and have asked the same questions you do. I do believe that if you live life in a loving way then you won't be left on the back of the bus regardless what religion you choose or not.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:05 PM   #24
Refugee

Local Time: 08:49 AM
Love God with all your heart, mind, strength, and soul, and love your neighbour as you love yourself.

That's Christianity in a nutshell.

"Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis is a good source.

I will say, you can be intellectual, and a Christian, some people think you "check your brain at the door" when you're a Christain, not true.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:02 AM   #25
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 03:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by thrillme
I will say, you can be intellectual, and a Christian, some people think you "check your brain at the door" when you're a Christain, not true.
Yes, agreed. Some do seem to 'check their brain at the door', but I know many very intelligent Christians, including some (I'm one of them) with genius-level IQs. Theology's a seriously interesting subject; more people should study it.
Old 01-30-2004, 03:15 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Mrs. Edge,
I know you don't even know me at all, my name is Phil and I'm definately a newbie of 3-4 days now here on interference. Anyway, I really just wanted to wish you good luck in your searching. I am a Christian and completely understand how confusing and difficult it can be with all the different denominations and viewpoints. I'm currently trying to find a church for myself and it's hard enough even somewhat KNOWING what you're looking for or what you believe!

You know, it's just like someone said, if you find Christianity is for you, you will have to find a way that really allows for you to be comfortable, but grow in a relationship with God. And I believe that if God is truely calling you to Him, he will lead you where He wants you to be. And if you find yourself "on the back of the bus", this Christian man here will still sit by you none-the-less.

p.s. A bible study would be a start. I"M KIDDING!! sorry...sorry