Christian School Distancing itself from Michelle Williams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's the part of the article that pertains to that issue. How ridiculous. And what was so evil about Dawson's Creek?

Carla Williams raised a daughter her way – a comfortable North County home, elementary and middle school at Solana Beach's Santa Fe Christian where, according to its credo, “the Bible is the standard upon which the educational program is based,” and acting classes at the “family entertainment ” - oriented Christian Youth Theater.

By the time her precociously talented daughter reached ninth grade, Williams was driving her north on Interstate 5 to Hollywood nearly every day for auditions.

Now, Michelle Williams is 25, a mom herself and an Academy Award nominee in the supporting actress category for “Brokeback Mountain,” which earned eight Oscar nods in all. The ceremony will be broadcast at 5 p.m. Sunday on KGTV/Channel 10.

A provocative film about two cowboys in Wyoming whose friendship becomes a romance, “Brokeback Mountain” is a long way from the rigorous religious precepts of Santa Fe Christian and the G-rated productions of “The Sound of Music” at CYT. Nevertheless, Carla Williams is ecstatic about her daughter's success: “She's sweet, she has a heart, I'm so proud of her.”

Not so proud is Santa Fe Christian headmaster Jim Hopson. “We don't want to have anything to do with her in relation to that movie,” said Hopson, who turned down a request from a Union-Tribune reporter to visit the school and chat with students about the movies and one of their own being up for an Academy Award.

“Michelle doesn't represent the values of this institution. We would not approve of her movies and TV shows (including the teen drama “Dawson's Creek”). We'd not like to be tied to 'Brokeback Mountain.'

“I hope we offered her something in life. But she made the kinds of choices of which we wouldn't approve. 'Brokeback Mountain' basically promotes a lifestyle we don't promote. It's not the word of God.”

Carla Williams was nestled in an office at Christian Community Theater 's headquarters in El Cajon (CYT is a component of CCT) with her friends Sheryl and Paul Russell, who founded the organization 25 years ago. They listened quietly as Hopson's words were read to them.

Michelle Williams received an Oscar nod for her work in "Brokeback Mountain."
“He never knew her,” said Williams, with a lovingly assembled scrapbook of Michelle in front of her. “For some people, 'Brokeback Mountain' is difficult. He has the right to his opinion.”

Some Santa Fe Christian staff and faculty members, Williams said, have called to congratulate her and Michelle. One longtime school employee told her, “You tell Michelle how much I love her.”

Carla Williams can deal with her daughter's critics. “I know her heart, her kind soul,” she said. “Nothing she's done as an actress has bothered me.”

it would have been a story
if they embraced her.

the stupid thing is
she plays a straight woman
that is repelled by her gay husband

isn't that what they want?

deep said:

the stupid thing is
she plays a straight woman
that is repelled by her gay husband

isn't that what they want?

one may argue that if she hadnt been such a lousy wife, his husband wouldnt have gone gay :ohmy:

:p

really, i havent watched the movie but these people are apparently disturbed by the very fact she is involved in a movie that shows such 'ungodly behavior'. they wouldnt have cared if williams' character were to beat up her husband for being gay:huh:

This is really narrow-minded behavior IMO (when is my opinion ever humble?):wink: It's just because they don't like gays or anything about them. :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

verte76 said:
This is really narrow-minded behavior IMO (when is my opinion ever humble?):wink: It's just because they don't like gays or anything about them. :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

you censor yourself quite often, dont you think? rage issues? :wink:

all_i_want said:

you censor yourself quite often, dont you think? rage issues? :wink:

I'm known around here for my love of the :censored: smilie. I use it in PLEBA for, uh, sexy pix, and it came in really handy when we debated Iraq and the 2004 election. When I first started to post in Interference I'd just quit a figure skating list that censored *everything*. We couldn't use the word "screwed". I posted a note with that in it once and went back and saw a giant "censored" covering it. I was furious. I never posted on that board again. Then I came here, saw that smilie.......perfect.

Back
Top Bottom