Christian Rock is the most hypocritical thing ever.... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2005, 09:40 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:19 AM
Christian Rock is the most hypocritical thing ever....

Well, ok, maybe not EVER, but still pretty damn hypocritical.

On the one hand, 'rock music is the automobile for anti-religion'.

On the other hand, if it's preaching their myopic message, they're ever-so-happy to endorse it.

I realize that it's not like every Christian out there believes in the first line, in fact I realize that's primarily a Catholic thing, and I realize yet further that that point-of-view isn't even one all that common amongst every-day Catholics but more amongst those who operate in the hierchy of the Catholic church. And they are the hypocrites, not the every-day people. Because you can't just say 'rock is satan' on one hand and then support it when it suits your message.

Old 06-20-2005, 09:48 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Hmm...I didn't realize Catholicism was anti-rock music. Not as if I've listened to a damn thing they've said in years anyway.

Melon

Old 06-20-2005, 10:13 AM   #3
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:19 AM
Old 06-20-2005, 10:18 AM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 05:19 AM
Yeah, I thought the "rock music is satanic" line was more of an ultra-fundamentalist Protestant thing. I know the Pope Benedict doesn't like rock music but he's also nearly 80 years old and it's probably the sound of it that turns him off. I think with Catholicism they judge the music by the lyrics and meaning of the song, but I could be wrong.

With Christian rock I've always seen that genre of music as something that was generally an Evangelical Christian thing. C- Rock serves as an Evangelical tool, worship music with a rock flavor, and/or an alternative for those religious people who want to stay away from secular music. There are a lot of Christians in secular rock music--Moby, Nick Cave, Lenny Kravitz, Bono, etc., but the kind of Christian they are and the kind of Christian that, say, a C-Rock Musician is (in what they believe and how they act) are pretty different.

Funny that in mainstream/secluar hip-hop music I wouldn't hesitate to guess that a majority of the artists consider themselves Christians, yet most of these artists the Contemporary Christian Music Industry would not touch with a ten foot poll. Just an other example of the many sects of Christianity, I guess.

Old 06-20-2005, 10:49 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:19 AM
I've never heard of the Catholic Church being against rock music. I wasn't taught that in my CCD classes and I haven't heard that from a priest or anyone else.
Actually, Pope John Paul II enjoyed rock music. Bob Dylan performed for him once, as well as several other secular singers.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:59 AM   #6
New Yorker

I've been Catholic for 30 years, and I haven't heard that claim. I do remember specific bands being targeted by both Catholic and Protestant groups (Marylin Mason, Black Sabbath, etc). The only ones I've heard denounce rock as a whole have been fundementalists like Gary Bauer, James Dobson, etc.

Got anything to actually back that claim up, namk? You're perpetuating some pretty negative sterotypes here of a large and diverse group. I don't seen any hypocrisy in that those specific Christians who don't like it...like the above named...prolly don't listen. LOL.

Also, what of U2? Not a 'christian band" per say, but at least 3 of them are outspoken Christians and Bono literally leads praise worship from the stage on the current tour (40, Yaweh). Is he a hypocrite?
Old 06-20-2005, 11:25 AM   #7
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:19 AM
I don't know that it's hypocritical, but I always think it's funny that my cousin, who won't listen to anything that isn't Christian rock for fear of encountering immorality, listens to U2 because she thinks of them as a Christian band.

Apparently, she's missed all their references to sex.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:27 AM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

i do know my CCD teachers told my 8th grade class that they got rid of all their Eagles records because of the last stanza in "Hotel California." they thought it was satanic.

now, i'm all for getting rid of your Eagles records, but not because they're satanic ...
Old 06-20-2005, 11:31 AM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:19 PM
About Hotel Calfornia it has been claimed the lyrics are indeed about a satanic cult. Don't know if its true or not. Even if true, the song is hardly promoting satanism. The opposite if anything.

In terms of the general issue, only a (small) minority of Christians believe all rock music is the work of the devil.

So Christian rock is not hypocritical.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:11 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

So Christian rock is not hypocritical.
I agree. Most of it's just bad.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:12 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Oh I'm not particularly a fan of the genre, unless U2 counts as 'Christian rock.'
Old 06-20-2005, 12:15 PM   #12
War Child

Local Time: 12:19 PM
I am a Catholic and I can tell you, like others, that Catholicism does not denounce rock music as whole. Perhaps they do have beef with certain bands, I don't know.
All I do know is that most music that labels itself "Christian Rock" is just, bleh.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:18 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
Oh I'm not particularly a fan of the genre, unless U2 counts as 'Christian rock.'
I'm talking about the music specifically touted as "Christian Rock." Not music which happens to be made by Christians. Some of the latter is quite ok.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:30 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by indra
I'm talking about the music specifically touted as "Christian Rock." Not music which happens to be made by Christians. Some of the latter is quite ok.
Christian Rock is not big in Europe. I couldn't even name three bands. I am intrigued at how the genre is defined.

For example, you will not generally hear Marvin Gaye referred to as a "Christian singer" or Bach referred to as a "Christian composer", yet they both were.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:33 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

christian rock generally has a distinctly christian message and often times a proselytizing tone. it isn't so much christian people reflecting on life or some other topic as much as it is a group of guys praising jesus.