Christian Rock is the most hypocritical thing ever....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
Well, ok, maybe not EVER, but still pretty damn hypocritical.

On the one hand, 'rock music is the automobile for anti-religion'.

On the other hand, if it's preaching their myopic message, they're ever-so-happy to endorse it.

I realize that it's not like every Christian out there believes in the first line, in fact I realize that's primarily a Catholic thing, and I realize yet further that that point-of-view isn't even one all that common amongst every-day Catholics but more amongst those who operate in the hierchy of the Catholic church. And they are the hypocrites, not the every-day people. Because you can't just say 'rock is satan' on one hand and then support it when it suits your message.

Hmm...I didn't realize Catholicism was anti-rock music. Not as if I've listened to a damn thing they've said in years anyway.

Melon

Yeah, I thought the "rock music is satanic" line was more of an ultra-fundamentalist Protestant thing. I know the Pope Benedict doesn't like rock music but he's also nearly 80 years old and it's probably the sound of it that turns him off. I think with Catholicism they judge the music by the lyrics and meaning of the song, but I could be wrong.

With Christian rock I've always seen that genre of music as something that was generally an Evangelical Christian thing. C- Rock serves as an Evangelical tool, worship music with a rock flavor, and/or an alternative for those religious people who want to stay away from secular music. There are a lot of Christians in secular rock music--Moby, Nick Cave, Lenny Kravitz, Bono, etc., but the kind of Christian they are and the kind of Christian that, say, a C-Rock Musician is (in what they believe and how they act) are pretty different.

Funny that in mainstream/secluar hip-hop music I wouldn't hesitate to guess that a majority of the artists consider themselves Christians, yet most of these artists the Contemporary Christian Music Industry would not touch with a ten foot poll. Just an other example of the many sects of Christianity, I guess.

:|

I've never heard of the Catholic Church being against rock music. I wasn't taught that in my CCD classes and I haven't heard that from a priest or anyone else.
Actually, Pope John Paul II enjoyed rock music. Bob Dylan performed for him once, as well as several other secular singers.

Last edited:
I've been Catholic for 30 years, and I haven't heard that claim. I do remember specific bands being targeted by both Catholic and Protestant groups (Marylin Mason, Black Sabbath, etc). The only ones I've heard denounce rock as a whole have been fundementalists like Gary Bauer, James Dobson, etc.

Got anything to actually back that claim up, namk? You're perpetuating some pretty negative sterotypes here of a large and diverse group. I don't seen any hypocrisy in that those specific Christians who don't like it...like the above named...prolly don't listen. LOL.

Also, what of U2? Not a 'christian band" per say, but at least 3 of them are outspoken Christians and Bono literally leads praise worship from the stage on the current tour (40, Yaweh). Is he a hypocrite?

I don't know that it's hypocritical, but I always think it's funny that my cousin, who won't listen to anything that isn't Christian rock for fear of encountering immorality, listens to U2 because she thinks of them as a Christian band.

Apparently, she's missed all their references to sex. :sexywink:

i do know my CCD teachers told my 8th grade class that they got rid of all their Eagles records because of the last stanza in "Hotel California." they thought it was satanic.

now, i'm all for getting rid of your Eagles records, but not because they're satanic ...

About Hotel Calfornia it has been claimed the lyrics are indeed about a satanic cult. Don't know if its true or not. Even if true, the song is hardly promoting satanism. The opposite if anything.

In terms of the general issue, only a (small) minority of Christians believe all rock music is the work of the devil.

So Christian rock is not hypocritical.

I am a Catholic and I can tell you, like others, that Catholicism does not denounce rock music as whole. Perhaps they do have beef with certain bands, I don't know.
All I do know is that most music that labels itself "Christian Rock" is just, bleh.

financeguy said:
Oh I'm not particularly a fan of the genre, unless U2 counts as 'Christian rock.'

I'm talking about the music specifically touted as "Christian Rock." Not music which happens to be made by Christians. Some of the latter is quite ok. :wink:

indra said:
I'm talking about the music specifically touted as "Christian Rock." Not music which happens to be made by Christians. Some of the latter is quite ok. :wink:

Christian Rock is not big in Europe. I couldn't even name three bands. I am intrigued at how the genre is defined.

For example, you will not generally hear Marvin Gaye referred to as a "Christian singer" or Bach referred to as a "Christian composer", yet they both were.

christian rock generally has a distinctly christian message and often times a proselytizing tone. it isn't so much christian people reflecting on life or some other topic as much as it is a group of guys praising jesus.

Se7en said:
christian rock generally has a distinctly christian message and often times a proselytizing tone. it isn't so much christian people reflecting on life or some other topic as much as it is a group of guys praising jesus.

yep. that's it.

financeguy said:

For example, you will not generally hear Marvin Gaye referred to as a "Christian singer" or Bach referred to as a "Christian composer", yet they both were.

Yeah, in America sometimes certain Christians (more of the conservative types) try to latch on to mainstream artists who are Christians or bands with Christian members and claim them as "Christian artists" on par with true Christian rockers. This is done more with white rock bands then with say, hip-hoppers. Of course sometimes the mainstream artists in question will end up dissapointing their conservative Christian fans by, you know, drinking and smoking and writing songs like "Wake up Dead Man" ;)

I've never been a fan of Christian rock. I know that the Pope has made statements about rock music that are not in sync with mine. However, the previous pope liked rock music and invited Bob Dylan to perform for him. As a practicing Catholic, I find nothing inconsistent about my rock music fandom. I'm listening to Green Day right now. Nothing wrong with that in my book.

I don't mind songs with spiritual tones to them (heh, obviously, if I'm a U2 fan). I've got spiritual beliefs, and do like songs that kinda express that sort of thing in universal terms. I just don't care much for the more preachy types of songs. I remember hearing a song by MercyMe once called "I Can Only Imagine", and I really didn't like it (course, that might also have had something to do with the fact that the station that I heard it on played it to death, too...).

And I've always found the "rock music is satanic" thing amusing. It's music. Nobody ever said you had to agree with the topic discussed in the song, and I dunno, I've listened to many a rock song in my time and haven't gone to any "dark side" religiously.

Angela

I think most Christians have gotten over the whole thing about all rock music being evil simply because they thought the beat was too suggestive or too closely associated with black people because it came out of R&B and all those other ridiculous arguments they used back in the 1950s. They focus more on the lyrical content when they criticize it now - which is why they consider some rock music OK and some not. So I guess it isn't necessarily hypocritical to listen to Christian rock. But so much of it sucks. I guess Bono was right - the devil has all the good tunes. :wink:

Bono's shades said:
I guess Bono was right - the devil has all the good tunes. :wink:

Which is why I'm never too concerned when people tell me I'm going to hell. :wink:

Yeah, most of us Christians don't think rock is of the devil. :wink:

Now teen pop on the other hand :hmm:

Rock music is just another form of expression. Music can't be evil. It's the lyrics that can lead to trouble.

One of the dumbest threads I have read in a while.

You are basically saying that if you're Christian you can't like rock. :huh: Why? Because the guitars and drums have an effect on your spiritual life?

I seriously hope this thread was some sort of joke because I don't see how any reasonable person can even come up with these conclusions.

...that being said, :rockon:

Bono's shades said:
I guess Bono was right - the devil has all the good tunes. :wink:

I bet he got that from Larry Norman, in the song "Why Should The Devil Have All The Good Music"?

But I don't agree at all.

U2, The Call, The Alarm, David Meece, Steven Curtis Chapman, etc. etc...

Great musicians one and all...

coemgen said:

Now teen pop on the other hand :hmm:

And I even like some of that.

The A*Teens, believe it or not, have some very catchy songs.
But maybe I like `em cuz they have that ABBA sound...:drool:

Some fundamentalists didn't like the sexual content of early rock. The beat was "suggestive" of sex, they didn't like "Elvis the pelvis", etc, etc. Some of these fundamentalists were racist and didn't like it that it was rooted in black music. Some of these people were very prominent in local media. When John Lennon made his infamous statement about the Beatles being bigger than Jesus Christ they carried out an anti-Beatles campaign. I've read about this. It was ridiculous. Nowadays rock music is in City Hall. Things have changed.

AvsGirl41 said:
I don't know that it's hypocritical, but I always think it's funny that my cousin, who won't listen to anything that isn't Christian rock for fear of encountering immorality, listens to U2 because she thinks of them as a Christian band.

Apparently, she's missed all their references to sex. :sexywink:

Once upon a time, U2 received "Album of the Year" honors from Contemporary Christian Music (CCM) Magazine. It was for War.
A number of Christian publications still think very highly of the band.

And all those sexual references are about Ali, so it's OK. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom